• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ohio miners say Obama ad tells lies

KillSwofford

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
A local radio shock jock claimed that miners were forced to attend a Romney event at their mine. The media and the Obama campaign picked that up and ran with it, putting it into articles and a TV ad. You can find references to it all over the Internet with a simple google search.

Problem is, the miners claim it's not true.

You wonder why the auto bailout thing hasn't torpedoed Romney in Ohio? Well maybe this is part of the reason. Coal's pretty big business in Ohio too.

I wish there was some way to measure how long it takes for something from Drudge to appear here.

I wish there was some way to measure how long it takes for something from Drudge to appear here.

If you are talking about me, I have looked at Drudge about three times in my life, and not in the last five years.

The OP, this is a story from Drudge.

I don't visit Drudge, which doesn't completely invalidate what you're saying...I could have gotten it from someone who found it on Drudge...or through several other steps before.

However, it's also worth noting that I got it from someone who lives in eastern Ohio. So it could have come from somewhere completely different.

None of this addresses the substance of the video, which is that the liberals (in the media and the political operatives) took a falsehood and blew it up for political gain. It shows you cannot trust the media to get the story right where politics is concerned and (shockingly) political ads can be false.

So basically it tells us nothing we didn't already know. Thanks for posting.

You didn't know Obama and the liberals lied about miners being forced to attend the Romney event.

You may be eager to dismiss anything they do, but I hope others aren't. I hope there are still some people with a sense of right and wrong on this board, even if yours is eliminated in the fog of political warfare.

I guess you can take solace in not being the only one.

Obama blatently lying about a group of hardworking Americans is not news.

On the other hand, Ryan washing dishes that have already been washed is the biggest news story of the campaign.

Same thing I said on the Ryan thread...internet age. We can figure out these lies pretty damned quickly. Politicians will eventually need to learn this.

You didn't know Obama and the liberals lied about miners being forced to attend the Romney event.

You may be eager to dismiss anything they do, but I hope others aren't. I hope there are still some people with a sense of right and wrong on this board, even if yours is eliminated in the fog of political warfare.

I guess you can take solace in not being the only one.

Wait, so everyone is just believing the miners who showed up to the presser? I know it was a lot of them, but they all seemed to have a huge hard on for Mitt and gladly went to his function, mandatory or not. The CFO of this mining company (the CEO is a huge Mitt donor and fundraiser and climate change denier by the way, which means he is batshit) said the following:

"Our managers communicated to our workforce that the attendance at the Romney event was mandatory, but no one was forced to attend". Aside from making zero sense, it certainly sounds like some of the workers had reason to believe attendance was mandatory, because, well, they were told attendance was mandatory. He also admitted that no one was paid that day.

It sounds to me like 1 out of 10 miners may not have wanted to go, some of whom were told it was mandatory, and they either went or did not go and they were not paid, and were, reasonably, pissed that they lost a day of wages because their CEO wants Mitt Romney to be President. I think folks with a proper sense of right and wrong might argue that what the company did that day was wrong.

All of this coming at a time when we know CEOs of companies are telling their employees that many of them will be fired if they vote for Obama -- and we're shocked by this?

Last edited:
The spokesman said the miners didn't have to show up for the press conference, and indeed some who signed their statement didn't, which would seem to underline that statement.

In the statement, the spokesman says there are more than 500 signatures.

This site:

http://mines.findthedata.org/l/46792/Century-Mine

Lists the avg. number of employees at 476. So 500+ would seem to be pretty much everyone saying they stand behind what was said in the press conference, and assert that they were not forced to attend the rally.

Back