• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012-2013 NBA Season postmortem

Small market team, new super punitive luxury tax.

Yeah, but wow. Must be a kick in the balls to the OU/OKC fans getting drilled by ND and finding out about this trade.

Total deal:

OKC gets:
Kevin Martin
Jeremy Lamb
Dallas' 2013 1st
Toronto's 2013 1st

Houston gets:
Harden
Cole Aldrich
Lazar Hayward
Daquan Cook
Charlotte's 2013 2nd

Holy shit, both of those picks might be lottery for OKC. I don't even know how to judge this deal.

Wow

Toronto's might be, but I doubt Dallas' will.

Houston is likely to get a lottery pick on their own.

Plus Houston will be WAAAAAAAA under the cap even with a max Harden.

OK just looked up the protections on those picks, Dallas will not be a lottery:

Dallas 1st rounder: top 20 protected in 2013, top 20 protected in 2014, top 20 protected in 2015, top 20 protected in 2016, top 20 protected in 2017 and unprotected in the 2018 Draft

Toronto 1st rounder: Top-3 Protected and 15-30 Protected in the 2013 Draft, top-2 protected and 15-30 protected in 2014, top-2 protected and 15-30 protected in 2015, top-1 Protected and 15-30 protected in 2016, top-1 protected and 15-30 Protected in 2017 and unprotected in the 2018 Draft.

Which means if they make the lottery but Top 3, Houston gets the pick this year (Top 3 and 15-30)

Total deal:

OKC gets:
Kevin Martin
Jeremy Lamb
Dallas' 2013 1st
Toronto's 2013 1st

Houston gets:
Harden
Cole Aldrich
Lazar Hayward
Daquan Cook
Charlotte's 2013 2nd

Holy shit, both of those picks might be lottery for OKC. I don't even know how to judge this deal.

Pretty shocked when this broke. I suppose Houston just gave up a bunch of stuff for the right to give Harden a max deal. I suppose if Presti couldn't keep Harden it makes sense to get something rather than nothing if he walks at the end of the season. If the tax triggered this deal, it'd be a pretty sad reason to blow up the team-should have used amnesty on Perkins instead.

I guess Houston turned into a big experiment with Lin and Harden. They might turn out to be stars, they might be expensive bench players.

Lin might be a bench player. Harden is a star.

OKC is taking a huge risk, You don't get opportunities for championships very often. This is likely to be a bad move for them.

Which means if they make the lottery but Top 3, Houston gets the pick this year (Top 3 and 15-30)

No, Houston will never get the pick now. If Toronto picks in the top 3 or out of the lottery they keep the pick this year.

Lin might be a bench player. Harden is a star.

OKC is taking a huge risk, You don't get opportunities for championships very often. This is likely to be a bad move for them.

You're right about Harden being a star, I suppose I just don't know what his ceiling is (is he good enough to build a team around?). Agreed this is not good for OKC-that was an awesome team to watch and this is step backwards.

You're right about Harden being a star, I suppose I just don't know what his ceiling is (is he good enough to build a team around?). Agreed this is not good for OKC-that was an awesome team to watch and this is step backwards.

Harden > Westbrook

From the comments I've been reading here and elsewhere, I think people are overreacting by saying that OKC can't contend this year. They're getting Kevin Martin in a contract year as their 6th man. He's not Harden, but he's pretty damn good.

But I happen to be pretty bearish on Harden. Very good player, but not worth the max. Very similar to Joe Johnson in Atlanta, in my opinion. Don't like this move for Houston.

Who is saying that OKC won't contend? They definitely will, but they are worse this year for sure.

And Harden is better than Joe Johnson... whose max was 6 years, 120 million... not 4 years 60 million. Harden is definitely worth the latter.

Who is saying that OKC won't contend? They definitely will, but they are worse this year for sure.

And Harden is better than Joe Johnson... whose max was 6 years, 120 million... not 4 years 60 million. Harden is definitely worth the latter.

He won them a conference title.

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
New @okcthunder guaed Kevin Martin to Y! Sports: "Oh my Gosh! Feels like a dream. Sometimes words can't describe it."

Harden is way overrated. He's really good, but OKC was smart to flip him now if he was intent on max money. I think it's a good trade for both sides. OKC still clear No. 2 behind the Lakers, and it's not close between them and No. 3.

Harden is way overrated. He's really good, but OKC was smart to flip him now if he was intent on max money. I think it's a good trade for both sides. OKC still clear No. 2 behind the Lakers, and it's not close between them and No. 3.

I agree with this. I like the way OKC did business here. The Magic should take notes.

Back