• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97 finale; My Adventures with Superman S2 May 25; The Boys S4 June 13

Agents of SHIELD and Arrow return (superhero media thread)

The last five eps of S1 were really great. S2 has been solid so far.

I was a little disappointed in AOS just because I thought we were getting more than we did. I really feel, though, that the show is foreshadowing a lot for Winter Soldier with the ideas that SHIELD maybe isn't everything it's made out to be...maybe they're actually the ones behind everything to begin with. Centipede, Mike Peterson, Victoria Hand...all of it all ties together to weave a story of absolute power corrupting institutions.

Last edited:
First look at Quilksilver:
mllo.png

This thing looks ridiculous. Update on the Marvel Experience traveling show.

Inside will be a 4D motion ride, 3D animated short films, digital projects, virtual reality and holographic simulators, and plenty of merchandise opportunities. More than $30 million has been invested into this project.

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/lucasfilm-hammer-counts-star-wars-canon.html

With Star Wars: Rebels coming out in October, and Episode VII hitting theaters at the end of 2015, there are some big changes in store for that galaxy far, far away. The Star Wars universe is expansive and vast, and includes a lot of stories and characters. The six movies George Lucas made between 1977 through 2005 are generally considered canon, while countless books, video games, and television shows are viewed as part of the expanded universe. Now Disney and Lucasfilm weeding through everything Star Wars in an attempt to determine what is and is not canon moving forward.

Good info.

Iron Man 3 made $1.2B. No way there isn't an Iron Man 4.

First Look: Ben Kingsley Returns As the Mandarin in Marvel One-Shot Short 'All Hail the King'

all-hail-the-king-04.jpg

What was once a rumor has now been officially confirmed: Ben Kingsley will reprise his role as the Mandarin from Iron Man 3 for a short film included on the DVD/Blu-ray release of Thor: The Dark World titled All Hail the King, due out on February 25. The short picks up where Iron Man 3 left off, as it follows Mandarin--better known as a comical and meandering British actor hired to pretend to be one of the world's most fearless terrorists--as he enjoys the celebrity life he always wanted behind bars.

The short, which was written and directed by Iron Man 3 writer Drew Pearce, is framed around a documentary that's following Mandarin in prison and tracking the aftermath of the events that transpired in the film. Ah, but in typical Marvel fashion, not all is as it seems, and while this version of the Mandarin wasn't real, his character was based on the very real terrorist organization that was set up in the first Iron Man.

As Pearce says, "There’s lots of exposition in lots of different cuts of Iron Man 3 that, in the end, kind of got snubbed out. It’s kind of said in Iron Man 3 but very briefly, Aldrich essentially took a thing that was real, historically real and culturally real, and co-opted it for his own means — essentially co-opting an ancient terrorist concept. What [All Hail the King] does is show that everything in Iron Man 1 [involving the terrorist group] was canon all along any way. We kind of knew The Ten Rings were a real terrorist cell."

all-hail-the-king-02.jpg

So will this short serve as the setup for a potential Iron Man 4? Pearce notes, "Oh, it couldn’t possibly. [Laughs.] I think short movies in general, whether they’re Marvel ones or not, you kind of want them to feel like they’re opening you up to a bigger world. Yeah, I definitely think there are – the non-spoiler way for me to say it — by the end of the short, there are definitely a lot of exciting other places that are brought up in it that could then go in the Marvel universe. You know, whether that’s an Iron Man movie or another one going into Phase Two or Three."

You can read more of the interview with Pearce over at EW, including a bit about an old awesome-sounding '80s TV show that makes an appearance in All Hail the King.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/all-hail-the-king-marvel-short/14601

Man, I'm starting to get really excited about Cap 2.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=92723

Speaking about his character, the actor says “For Steve, it’s about what is right. He’s relatively acclimated to the modern day — it’s not tech shock anymore, he’s not just like, ‘What’s a cellphone?’ It’s more about, given his situation, given the company he works for, what are we doing that’s the right thing? How much privacy, civil liberties are we willing to compromise for security? It’s pretty crazy how relevant it is right now.”
Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=92723#b1bd9WEBhPqlV05C.99

not sure cap would be so weirded out. the US government was way tighter on civil liberties during WWI and WWII

Agents of SHIELD and Arrow return (superhero media thread)

Winter Soldier, given it's theme and the story it's based on, could be the best Marvel movie yet. I think this movie could really challenge the characters and audiences with some very complex story elements and set up a lot of how things are going to be as we approach the end of phase 2 (I.e. The line between good and bad will disappear).

Last edited:
Apparently, Marvel is using Seagate prison for the Mandarin one shot which is the same prison where Luke Cage got his powers in the comics.

Update: Fox's 'Gotham' TV Show Will Have Bruce Wayne, the Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman and More

Commissioner%20Gordon%20(220%20x%20283).jpg

Update 1/13/14: Today Fox executive Kevin Reilly took the stage at the Television Critics Association and revealed quite a bit of new info about the future of Fox's new TV shows. The most juicy tidbits for movie fans regard Gotham. We now know that the network will basically be trying to recreate The CW's Smallville, but with the world of Batman.

We already knew the series would focus on James Gordon (before he became the polic commissioner), but now we know that it will have Bruce Wayne in it (albeit as a young boy), and will serve as an origin story for everyone's favorite Batman villains. It is a little strange that Bruce Wayne will be 12 years old, while characters like Catwoman and The Penguin will presumably be older. But still, if you liked Smallville (the first few seasons were actually pretty great), odds are you'll probably like this formula, too.

Oh, and Reilly said that the ideal end of the show would be seeing Bruce Wayne become Batman.

Previously 9/25/13: Commissioner Gordon Is Getting His Own Show in the Batman Spin-off 'Gotham'

After a fierce bidding war, Fox has earned the rights to develop and air a new television series entitled Gotham – a series focusing on the early days of Commissioner James Gordon.

Fox has a series commitment for the show, which comes from Warner Bros. and The Mentalist creator Bruno Heller. The show will focus on Gordon’s early days as a detective, well before he was commissioner, and will not feature Batman. It should, however, feature members of Batman’s infamous Rogues’ Gallery – which is arguably the next best thing.

The timing of this reveal is probably not a coincidence, as Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. made its official debut last night. While popular opinion puts DC well behind Marvel when it comes to creating success in the feature film arena, the situation is reversed on the small screen – where DC has been working on bringing their universes to viewers for years.

Can a show set in Gotham City without its most famous protector work out? Only time will tell. Casting of the Gordon role will be crucial – and I’ve already seen at least 10 people suggest that Bryan Cranston play the role. Maybe he can play Gordon and Lex Luthor, which would make him DC’s answer to Chris Evans.

I'd guess Cranston's too old for the part, and that we won't be seeing Gary Oldman in the role again either. I suspect someone young and relatively unknown will play the future commissioner on the show, but let the speculation begin.

Expect to hear lots more about Gotham in the weeks and months ahead, but until then, let us know if you’re excited about this project or if you’d prefer DC and Warner Bros. to give some of the other characters in the company’s comics a shot at the spotlight.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/batman-show-comissioner-gordon/13627

No kidding. Marvel turned a washed up drunk into gold and now all they do is cast huge Hollywood stars.

I remember being on Usenet forums in the 90s on comics listservs reading dream casting threads. They all had RDJ playing Stark and Patrick Stewart playing Xavier. But those were dream casting. Having established actors even Academy Award winners playing comic book characters was hard to imagine.

I don't get what Gotham is doing. I don't understand why there can be an Arrow show but not a Batman show. I understand a Gotham origin story, but not one with villains well established (very well in Catwoman's case) to be the same age as Batman.

Maybe, like the young Bruce Wayne, they will focus more on Selena Kyle as a child in a few episodes, as well? Maybe how she grew up in poverty and had to resort to stealing, and so forth.

Back