• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97 finale; My Adventures with Superman S2 May 25; The Boys S4 June 13

The real answer is that the public appetite, even after 15+ years (X-Men, arguably the first modern CBM, came out in 2000) is still yuge and yugely bankable. As long as even the worst turds of the genre make money, they will keep churning and keep, inexplicably, getting checks for hacks like Zac Snyder.

This is a pretty good site to compare film cost to domestic and worldwide gross

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/budgets/all

The biggest turds still are making money:

Green Lantern cost $200, grossed $231 globally

Superman Returns: $232; $374

Spiderman 3: $256; $890

Fantastic Four(2015): $120; $167

If you can make $40MM off of Fantastic Four, then Fuck It, let PH direct.

Exactly. Marvel Studios has upped the paydays for everybody, no matter how much WB and DC try to ruin it.

I think the lesson from the last year is to make more small budget films and see what happens like with Deadpool. The genre is only getting stronger despite turds like TMNT 2, FF, BVS, and apparently SS.

Last edited:
to Fanatic's comment that foreign audiences will see anything big budget, he's pretty much right. The bigger the budget, the more likely it will make money. There are a few movies with a $100M budget to flop like Stealth, Sahara, RIPD, 13th Warrior, but even fewer with $150MM to not make that money back (the Wolfman, Mars Needs Moms), and literally nothing with a budget over $200M has ever flopped.

Crazy.

What a shitstorm.

CBM: Preacher Season 1 finale

Yeah, an article on Collider paints a portrait of how negative reaction to BvS caused the studio to try and take control over Suicide Squad. It also says Ayer was given six weeks to write the script before production started. As a writer, Jesus, that's an absurdly short amount of time. Snyder's creative freedom, and the overwhelmingly negative reaction to it ends up with a situation like this. A shame. Hopefully Ayer's darker cut hits with the blu-Ray. I'm not ashamed to admit I was wrong on the "This is a David Ayer film!" point of view. I'll still be in line to see it, the visual style alone looks like enough to get me through a screening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Suicide Squad soundtrack has 5 songs on the Apple Music hot 100. All original tracks. FilmDrunk said something like "Feels like 2002 again." I think that captures the spirit I'm feeling in it, some old school, 90's type MTV release. And most of the songs are explicit rap/trap songs. Really wish Ayer had been given the green light to go all out for an R rating.

Last edited:
Did he want to do that? From what I've read in reviews and the "behind the scenes" info, the most likely scenario is that neither cut was particularly good.

WB is now in the position in which they've debuted their five most marketable characters (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Joker, and Lex) in three poorly received movies over three years in a failed effort to quickly catch up to Marvel.

By comparison, in their first three years, Marvel Studios debuted it's five most marketable characters, only one of which was in the same neighborhood as the DC characters (Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Cap, Loki) in five movies with good to great reviews, and everybody was chomping at the bit for The Avengers.

The bigger problem is if you look at the entire list of DC movies since 2005, the only ones that really registered are the Nolan trilogy. Warner Bros just can't make good DC films without serious help. They're hurting the brand.

Last edited:

Did he want to do that? .
What, make a dark, R rated movie? Yeah, every movie he's ever made has been a hardcore R. (He wrote Training Day, that's probably the most popular thing he's ever done). He's a brash, violent filmmaker. When they hired him I think that's what they wanted, but they panicked and caved to the perception that BvS was "too dark," so they tried to lighten up the proceedings here.

What evidence do you have that Suicide Squad was ever going to be an R rated movie?

The lighter trailer went over well after BVS bombed. It was a reasonable course correct, but it was too late.

The whole vision for the DCEU is flawed anyway. They needed to start earlier in the timeline rather than with an old Batman, Lex Luthor's son, and a bunch of villains who had already gotten captured.

While I'm disappointed with what I'm hearing about SS, I'm holding out a sliver of hope that Johns can right the ship. I really feel like the thing that DC has been missing has been their Kevin Feige. Guys like Snyder and Ayers never should have been given the creative license they were given because they're not DC. Johns is and has the resources necessary to make good live action comics.

Apparently Ayer said "Fuck Marvel" at the premiere.

Yeah ok. Marvel is the 00s Tiger Woods of the game. They're helping a lot of people get paid despite not being real competition.

SS is at 33% on RT.

Stan's response to Ayers.

It's really, really, really bad.

Worse than BvS. Not really even sure it's close.

Back