• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

I finally got around to watching The Amazing Spiderman. It was ridiculously bad. I'd rather watch [Redacted] home videos.

I'm not so sure it wouldn't work. Batman Begins spent a good long while before the audience got ears and a cape...it can work with the right director.

The key term in my post was "blind guy". Batman Begins had a ton of sweet fight sequences and characterization of hot shot billionaire coming back to town.

I did misspeak in my post above. I was thinking about the traditional model and traditional studios. At this point, Marvel prints money. They could GAF if audiences hesitate about a blind guy for 90 minutes as long as the story is good. And at this point, they could afford to take a risk.

My standard for worst super hero movie is Batman and Robin. Neon in Gotham? A muscle bound Mister Freeze? Mindless Bane? General cheesy set design with Poison Ivy's obviously fake flowers. You had Arnold but used as Mr. Freeze instead of Bane? It's like they set out to destroy that franchise.

how would that work? like it's advertised as a legal drama with a Daredevil kicker?

Not sure if this was in response to my post or Deadbolt's, but I'll answer anyway. I was thinking about a crime family drama similar to The Sopranos or Breaking Bad featuring Kingpin and the Fisk family. It would take place in the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe in which superheroes operate in NYC, but from the criminal perspective.

It would reference superheroes and their alter egos and lives (i.e. Daily Bugle photos by Peter Parker or a thug saying "Spider-Man broke up the shipment"), but we wouldn't only see them occassionally and as outsiders. Matt Murdock could appear every now and then as a thorn in Kingpin's side. Daredevil would interfere from time to time. But Kingpin wouldn't know they were the same person nor suspect it and from their viewer's perspective, they may as well be different people.

Last edited:
The key term in my post was "blind guy". Batman Begins had a ton of sweet fight sequences and characterization of hot shot billionaire coming back to town.

I did misspeak in my post above. I was thinking about the traditional model and traditional studios. At this point, Marvel prints money. They could GAF if audiences hesitate about a blind guy for 90 minutes as long as the story is good. And at this point, they could afford to take a risk.

You can still have a great action movie with Matt Murdock...I think the fact that he's blind enhances the story instead of diminishing it. The Man Without Fear does a great job with this. It's basically Daredevil: Year One. Then, since these are always set up in minimum three movie blocks, you use TMWF to set up Born Again as the dark middle act, then wrap it up in the third act with an adaptation of Last Rites. It's almost too perfect not to do.

Not sure if this was in response to my post or Deadbolt's, but I'll answer anyway. I was thinking about a crime family drama similar to The Sopranos or Breaking Bad featuring Kingpin and the Fisk family. It would take place in the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe in which superheroes operate in NYC, but from the criminal perspective.

It would reference superheroes and their alter egos and lives (i.e. Daily Bugle photos by Peter Parker or a thug saying "Spider-Man broke up the shipment"), but we wouldn't only see them occassionally and as outsiders. Matt Murdock could appear every now and then as a thorn in Kingpin's side. Daredevil would interfere from time to time. But Kingpin wouldn't know they were the same person nor suspect it and from their viewer's perspective, they may as well be different people.

that'd be pretty interesting; it would be cool to have movies set in a superhero universe w/out them being about big superheroes directly.

that'd be pretty interesting; it would be cool to have movies set in a superhero universe w/out them being about big superheroes directly.

Thanks. That's what the SHIELD TV show is trying to do. It will be interesting to see if it works.

I hope that Thomas Jane will come back and do another Punisher. Dirty Laundry was awesome.

If the studios could pull off a movie about crime boss that has random, brief interjections from superheroes but isn't ABOUT superheroes, hats off to them. I'd watch it and wish it well, but I don't know how you'd market a movie like that or avoid cheesiness.

Not saying it's not a good idea, just ridiculously hard to execute artistically and make money. I'm pretty sure Disney doesn't have a premium cable network a la CBS and Showtime, but that's an avenue that might make it work.

"Kingpin" is a great title.

ETA: I see the SHIELD show as more straight-up sci-fi in the vein of things ABC already has a fair amount of experience with.

If the studios could pull off a movie about crime boss that has random, brief interjections from superheroes but isn't ABOUT superheroes, hats off to them. I'd watch it and wish it well, but I don't know how you'd market a movie like that or avoid cheesiness.

Not saying it's not a good idea, just ridiculously hard to execute artistically and make money. I'm pretty sure Disney doesn't have a premium cable network a la CBS and Showtime, but that's an avenue that might make it work.

"Kingpin" is a great title.

ETA: I see the SHIELD show as more straight-up sci-fi in the vein of things ABC already has a fair amount of experience with.

I agree with the first part. That's why I described a Kingpin TV show, not a movie.

"An idea I probably posted earlier in this thread is to have a Kingpin TV drama in which Matt Murdock and Daredevil are his primary antagonist. Now is a great time for a comic book based TV drama now that many well-regarded TV shows have an anti-hero or straight up villain as a protagonist, thus catching up to the genre."

The official synopsis of the SHIELD used ITC's language about humans as heroes in a superpowered world.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/176025-arvels-shield-is-now-marvels-agents-of-shield

Prepare for an epic adventure that showcases the hope and wonder of the human spirit. This is a world of Super Heroes, aliens and the unusual – of action, spectacle and world spanning stories. The show will speak to the human condition through the lens of our very human, non-powered S.H.I.E.L.D agents – that together we are greater than we are apart, and that we can make a difference in the world.

Disney owns A&E

Disney stock has been on a nice tear recently. I wonder how much is being fueled by the Marvel and Star Wars franchises.

Cool, well if you're paying your cable company extra money for A&E as a premium channel, you're getting screwed. As for ABC, that's like the exact opposite of a cable premium channel.

Cool, well if you're paying your cable company extra money for A&E as a premium channel, you're getting screwed. As for ABC, that's like the exact opposite of a cable premium channel.
Of course it's just a platform for shitty reality shows that print money right now, but Disney could turn A&E into a competitor with AMC if they wanted to.

Of course it's just a platform for shitty reality shows that print money right now, but Disney could turn A&E into a competitor with AMC if they wanted to.

AMC isn't a premium channel either. Do you know what a premium channel is?

AMC is a channel showing shows that only premium channels were showing 10 years ago.

It's tougher to distinguish between HBO TV and shows on some of the cable outlets.

Not to mention Marvel wouldn't be dropping tits and F-bombs on television regardless of what channel it was on. That's generally not Marvel's style, at least not for their main bread and butter characters (Kick-Ass not withstanding).

Back