• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

The only reason I can think of why this show is so bad coming right off the heels of the three much stronger Marvel efforts I mentioned above is that they wanted to capture the same boys that watch that live-action Disney XD (what appears to be) schlock like Zack & Cody or whatever.

Like you said, the whole premise of Spider-man working under SHIELD on a team with four de-aged heroes and what amounts to an Avenger a week is horrific. It was magnified the week that Avengers: EHM had a full episode in which Hank Pym hired Luke Cage and Iron Fist to find his stolen Ant-Man tech. The characterizations in one ep were far superior to what amounts to generic black guy (if that) and surfer Confucius on Ultimate Spider-Man. The A:EHM ep had me excited about that rumored "Heroes for Hire" TV show Marvel is putting together.

I watched last week's USM because it was supposedly much improved. It was just sad. The whole plot centered around Wolverine and Spider-Man switching bodies a la "Freaky Friday" and Peter Parker's brain in Wolverine's body fighting Sabertooth while Logan in Peter Parker's body was dealing with high school problems. That kind of crap may have worked in the 80s, but this is much more sophisticated animation market especially for a show coming right before A:EHM and the day after Young Justice and Green Lantern.

I don't how much you follow animation news, but the rumors suggest Marvel knows they failed miserably. First, they already had a 2 season order for the show but they hyped it up as a renewal based on strong ratings. They're basically punting on their next show centered around the Hulk, She-Hulk, and others by lowering expectations and branding it as merely action for the kids. And then they're basically saying the new Avengers Assemble show will be very different from USM and more serious in tone.

You, sir, are a nerd.

Has it been mentioned that Iron Man 3 is being partly filmed in North Carolina?

Nope. In Wilmington?

Filming in Raleigh as well. Paltrow was at Pooles diner a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah, Wilmington, Raleigh and Durham. Supposedly people have seen scenes with the Iron Patriot being filmed in Wilmington. They are also filming in Miami and China. So the Mandarin is almost certainly involved unless they're doing a Fing Fang Foom story.

I think they're overdoing armored villians for Iron Man. He has a good rogue's gallery you don't have to go to that well in every movie.

Yeah, I tend to agree about using too many armored villains...especially Iron Patriot which isn't going to make any sense to most people who haven't read any stories in the past few years. I guess, though, if they plan to do Extremis, the armor will play heavily.

Interesting, given who is connected with the armor based on wikis and such. I wouldn't think he'd be available for Marvel to use.

Saw Spider-man this afternoon. Liked it for the most part. I think the origin was done pretty well and don't see the issue people have with it especially since it has a different tone and focus that Spider-man 1. I had other issues with it I'll discuss more when I put a spoiler tag on the thread.

I'd love to see Marvel Studios get the property back though. In that respect, I hope it fails. Given that the Avengers movies have made $3.7B domestic and worldwide, one has to wonder how much Disney would pay Sony, Fox, and others to get back the movie rights to Spider-man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc.

Interesting, given who is connected with the armor based on wikis and such. I wouldn't think he'd be available for Marvel to use.

Saw Spider-man this afternoon. Liked it for the most part. I think the origin was done pretty well and don't see the issue people have with it especially since it has a different tone and focus that Spider-man 1. I had other issues with it I'll discuss more when I put a spoiler tag on the thread.

I'd love to see Marvel Studios get the property back though. In that respect, I hope it fails. Given that the Avengers movies have made $3.7B domestic and worldwide, one has to wonder how much Disney would pay Sony, Fox, and others to get back the movie rights to Spider-man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc.

I think you and I are going to agree mostly. I'll be interested to see what your thoughts are.

Ben Kingsley has been cast as Mandarin, so he is involved for sure.

Saw Spiderman tonight. I liked it a lot. I thought it was very, very well shot and storyboarded. Sheen and Field were fantastic, as expected. Garfield was solid, but overacted a little in a few scenes like Hayden Christianson. Hats off to the DP though. I enjoyed this more than any of the Raimi incarnations. I personally do not care much for Spiderman, but I understand his incredible marketability. He is a very likeable character in this film.

I thought of the Hayden Christenson comparison when leaving the theater. Then I watched the last hour of Episode III on Spike tonight. I liked Garfield fine, but some of the scenes with him and Emma Stone were near Anakin-Padme level and were saved by Stone's cuteness and Garfield's charm. The Christenson comparison is unfair because Christenson can't act for shit. See Jumper if you want confirmation.

Deadbolt, I may get my thoughts together and PM you. I'm still working through it. I have to say I would have thought there would be more potential for the franchise given that I generally liked the film and tone and character choices. I don't know why some of the things I don't like bother me. I do know that the credits scene was not encouraging. Don't get me wrong. I liked a lot about the film including the cast.

I've probably said this here before but I'll say it again. As much as I liked the first Spider-man, Kirsten Dunst was woefully miscast. There was no reason to cast a mediocre looking blond to play a smoking hot redhead. Emma Stone was a good casting decision.

I don't think they've cast anybody. Not sure though. They're clearly going the Nolan route. Use a lesser known villain with a personal connection to the hero's past in the first one. There are other similarities there I won't mention yet. Go with the main villain in the second movie, so expect Green Goblin to be the Joker of this trilogy.

I don't think they've cast anybody. Not sure though. They're clearly going the Nolan route. Use a lesser known villain with a personal connection to the hero's past in the first one. There are other similarities there I won't mention yet. Go with the main villain in the second movie, so expect Green Goblin to be the Joker of this trilogy.

No doubt. It's smarter strategy than the first go round where they prematurely shot their wad.

No doubt. It's smarter strategy than the first go round where they prematurely shot their wad.

Yeah. I like that method because the first movie becomes a great character study and you don't have to spend a lot of time developing the villain. After the hero is already established in the first movie, you can bring in a more notable enemy in the second to really test the hero's mettle.

Amazing Spiderman actually did what Marvel did to some extent with Iron Man 1, heck dude was an old colleague of Stark's dad just like Connors is with Parker's dad here. And I expect Iron Man 3 is going to be similar to Dark Knight with the archenemy. Marvel also did this with Avengers in that they used an established villain so they could spend more time on the character study.

I don't think the first Spider-man trilogy shot their wad necessarily because they still had Venom to go to in the 3rd movie. Now if they had set up Eddie Brock in the 3rd movie and used a better Sandman or Harry as Green Goblin or maybe as Hobgoblin or something like that then done the transition to Venom at the end of the 3rd movie and made that the big plot for the 4th movie, that would have been sweet.

It's down there. Looking back, we're very lucky to have comic book films now. Iron Man and The Dark Knight in 2008 really did reinvigorate the game after the turds that were X3 and Superman Returns dropped in 2006 followed by Spiderman 3 in 2007.

Back