• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

I've got two eps of DD left. I can usually see what's coming, but I really don't know where they're going with this whole thing. Has a kind of Shadowland vibe to it. Definitely see the seeds planted for their take on Born Again for S3.

I'm going to BvS tonight. I had high hopes after the initial reactions a couple of days ago, but my optimism has been reined in a bit over the last 24 hours.

Here is a trailer from folks who can be trusted to make a good movie.

BVS review from a guy who has gotten crap for giving MOS an A+ and saying last month that WB was worried about BVS. He gave it a C-.
http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...ows-lots-of-punches-but-with-no-impact-at-all

Speaking as a fan of Man Of Steel and of Zack Snyder’s work in general, I am baffled by what I saw tonight. In one regard, it certainly feels like they delivered on the promise of that incredibly awkward and franchise-minded title. But I’m not sure how a filmmaker whose work normally speaks to me as clearly as Snyder’s does could deliver something that feels this confused, this impersonal, and this corporate. It is a confounding mess of a movie, and while there are individual sequences that I enjoyed as isolated moments, it is almost breathtakingly incoherent storytelling. Characters do what they do because the movie requires them to do it, not because they are behaving like characters at all. There’s no sense of voice to the film. I have no idea what I should think about Batman or Superman or Wonder Woman based on what I see here. They are all apparently blanks who simply exist to react without thought or purpose to whatever stimuli is presented to them. Structurally, there’s something fundamentally broken about the way this thing’s been built, and I have a feeling it’s going to take some time to really pull apart all of the mistakes that were made.

One thing’s clear: I don’t want the Justice League this movie promises.

Simply put, I don’t care. I don’t have any reason to care about what’s being promised here. This is the least compelling franchise come-on since The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and as the closing credits concluded, I was relieved to see there was no post-credits scene. The entire movie feels like a closing credits scene already, winking and elbowing us to let us know we’ve got so many more movies coming. It’s hard to call something an Easter Egg when the movie stops cold to spotlight it, so it feels more appropriate to call these digressions outright previews. As previews go, though, they left me less interested than ever in what they’re selling, so I guess I’d have to call this a failure.

Here’s the thing: I didn’t hate the movie while I was watching it. More than anything, I was indifferent to it. I found myself looking at it more as an exercise than as a movie, and that’s a problem. At no point did I get drawn into it as a movie. If anything, I’d love to hear someone who has no history with comics try to describe the story of this film after they watch it, because I’m going to guess they would be absolutely baffled by it. I can tell you that as someone who is intimately familiar with all of the source material they’re drawing on here, I am still baffled, but at least I can tell you what they’re doing. I can’t tell you why they’re doing it at any given point, and that’s a major problem. Or rather, I can, but it’s not because of anything that you see onscreen. This is, more than any movie I’ve ever seen, a response to the responses to the film that came before it, and in answering his critics, Snyder has undone everything genuine about Man Of Steel, selling out his characters and undermining the point of that movie. Before I went to the press screening tonight, I revisited Man Of Steel, and I walked into Batman v Superman with that film’s tone fresh in my head. Maybe that’s why I’m so confused by what I saw. It felt like the work of two radically different filmmakers, and it felt like the second filmmaker didn’t like the work of the first filmmaker at all. It’s like Batman Begins was followed up by Batman and Robin.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...but-with-no-impact-at-all#HxHIHEpAYy8VTPcV.99

This is the beginning. I didn't read the whole thing but the paragraph after the above gets into spoiler territory and I feel like I would just be pissed.

is it wrong that i am even more interested in seeing it now that reviews like "breathtakingly incoherent storytelling" are coming out. i'm sort of excited to see the train wreck in a way i was not for ff4. still have not seen that.

from the review:

I haven’t even touched on my story issues or on the other characters that the film muddles, like the entirely unconvincing take on Lex Luthor as played by Jesse Eisenberg. Considering how many ways they could have approached Luthor, it’s mystifying to see what they chose. He is omnipotent, evidently, and has already identified all the future members of the Justice League. He’s got files on all of them, and those files each contain a perfectly-crafted little glimpse of these characters who otherwise have absolutely no impact on the story being told. I could accept that if Luthor was given some sort of driving reason to fear meta-humans or to even know of them, but the closest they come to explaining his rage is a hint that his dad hit him, leading him to not believe in God. And if that entire paragraph leaves you wondering what the hell I’m talking about, welcome to my world.

lolz

Because I'm still in a spoiler-free phase, I didn't watch the whole thing, but MovieBob delivered again (you may remember him from his epic takedown of Pixels), at least the first few minutes before I switched off when he got into spoilery stuff.

Link for those that don't want to go to Youtube and type "MovieBob"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTKDtoBR-2M

I'm moved from "need to see it" to "obligated to see it" and I'm headed toward "just read and watch people make fun of it" like I did with ASM2 and FF.

I heard enough at the beginning of the MovieBob spoilers to move to the "just read" category.

I know I've mentioned the contrast between Daredevil Season 2 and BVS several times, but I'll do it again. Marvel has seemed to take Frank Miller's work and churn out 25 hours of beautiful storytelling that sets up even more. Meanwhile, WB can't even manage to do a tenth of that.

Last edited:
I'm moved from "need to see it" to "obligated to see it" and I'm headed toward "just read and watch people make fun of it" like I did with ASM2 and FF.

Ha, I've had a similar trend. I'm almost heading into "don't watch it to send a message" territory like I did with FF, but I've already bought tickets. IMAX, tomorrow. I'm hoping it at least delivers a visual spectacle.

The reviews seem to be summarized as "it's not good, but at least it's not fun either". Good job, good effort.

Everyone has known this movie was going to majorly suck for like the past 2 years.

One of the issues for casual comics/TV/movies fans is that the persona of both Batman and Superman is "good guys" protecting Gotham and elsewhere from various and sundry evil doers. Why do they fight? Apparently one of them is no longer a "good guy" but rather has become a bad guy. WTF???? Why is one now a bad guy?? Makes no sense.

One of the issues for casual comics/TV/movies fans is that the persona of both Batman and Superman is "good guys" protecting Gotham and elsewhere from various and sundry evil doers. Why do they fight? Apparently one of them is no longer a "good guy" but rather has become a bad guy. WTF???? Why is one now a bad guy?? Makes no sense.

that shouldn't be the issue, though, and I doubt it is/will be

there is such a thing as nuance

that shouldn't be the issue, though, and I doubt it is/will be

there is such a thing as nuance

What is this nuance? Historically, both are good guys. This movie sets up a rivalry/fight between two good guys. So, WTF is going on to make that happen? Good guys don't fight about differences/territory etc. They work it out. That is part of being a good guy.

I will have a hard time spending my time and money on a movie built on a "nuance" that requires some fundamental change in fantasy heroes.

Sounds like the result of some gamer doing a fantasy heroes challenge bracket tournament.

What is this nuance? Historically, both are good guys. This movie sets up a rivalry/fight between two good guys. So, WTF is going on to make that happen? Good guys don't fight about differences/territory etc. They work it out. That is part of being a good guy.

I will have a hard time spending my time and money on a movie built on a "nuance" that requires some fundamental change in fantasy heroes.

Sounds like the result of some gamer doing a fantasy heroes challenge bracket tournament.

Whenever Batman and Superman have co-existed, there has been some tension. They are both "good guys" but have completely different ways of handling things. It's comparable to a policeman and a private detective. They may both have the same goals, but each handles their business differently, and sometimes at odds with each other.

Same reason why Daredevil and Punisher are fighting. Same reason why Iron Man and Captain America will fight. Same reason we have primary elections. It's not a particularly crazy thing. And it's obvious that they fight and work it out and jada jada Justice League.

"Good guys fighting about differences" is something I've seen throughout my rather extended run as a comic book reader. It's actually the standard setup for any team-up. They meet, they fight (usually a draw) then they find the "real" common threat they both face. Not a spoiler, since it's clear from the trailers, but this is exactly the formula used by BvS. Out of all the issues this movie may have, this setup isn't one of them.

I'm only posting the below links so I could tag this thread (if tags weren't full) with "DeacHead posts Atlantic".

Here's something about the appeal of the Punisher. I suspect the author has never heard of the character before, because there's absolutely nothing new covered in this article.
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...the-disturbing-appeal-of-the-punisher/475188/

Better article - Ta Nehisi Coates talks about writing Black Panther
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-return-of-the-black-panther/471516/

Last edited:
Back