• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

Dredd isn't a DC property and I doubt the powers that be there had anything to do with this movie. Warner Brothers and DC Entertainment had nothing to do with its production.

That said, the early reviews are... good??? 100% on RT at this moment in time. Of course it won't stay at that level, but neither will it drop to the 15% of the Stallone movie.

Whaaaaaat? I was sure this thing would be just awful.

Beckinsale and Beal together right? Can't be THAT bad.

Thor: The Dark World casting news

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...ut-two-villains-as-the-dark-world-gets-bigger

You had me at "Kat Dennings."

The absurdly plush actress was one of the comic highlights of the first "Thor," so it was great news to hear that she's coming back for the sequel. I know there were many people who thought for sure that the sequel would lose some of the key cast of the original just because they had trouble imagining Natalie Portman doing a comic book movie sequel.

Sounds like everyone's onboard for "Thor: The Dark World," a title I like a lot. In general, I love how the Marvel sequels seem to be using subtitles instead of numbers. It also sounds like they're taking existing storylines from the comics and tweaking or expanding them so they fit into the continuity established by the movies. Great idea. It gets fans excited because they know generally where things are headed, but there's enough invention going on that everyone's got surprises in store for them.

[info from comics, possible spoilers below]
Today, it appears they've added Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje to the cast, and he's playing not one but two roles. Sort of. It's interesting how the casting announcements start to really spell out what we can expect from the film. By announcing that Akinnuoye-Agbaje is playing Algrim The Strong and Kurse, it seems clear that they're sticking somewhat to the events from Walter Simonson's run on "The Mighty Thor." Algrim is part of the same race of Dark Elves as Malekith the Accursed, set to be played by Christopher Eccleston, and he was sent against Thor in battle. While they were fighting, Malekith betrayed Algrim, hoping to catch Thor off-guard and destroy him. Thor survived, but Algrim was almost destroyed by the lava he fell into, losing his memory completely. The Beyonder healed him and gave him additional power, turning him into Kurse, designed to finally kill Thor in hand-to-hand combat.

Bringing the Beyonder into the fold, huh? It's interesting to me how Marvel ties everything together in their films. It'll be cool to see how they start to put together the cosmic storylines that'll come together in Avengers 2.

Yeah. Marvel has really rewritten the playbook for comic book films. To go cosmic only a year after Green Lantern bombed miserably is bold.

If I'm reading Ph's post correctly, that's just a summary of the comic book lore that ties in the Beyonder. I have a hard time believing they'll introduce him in Thor 2, he is the ultimate deus ex machina. Might as well take another shot at a Venom origin while the Beyonder is hanging around (yes I know the studio rights that make this impossible).

I'm happy to see Mr. Eko join the party. It indeed looks like they're telling Simonson era stories, which hopefully means Surtur shows up either this next movie or the one after.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Maybe they won't use the Beyonder...or maybe they'll just hint at him. Something cosmic is going to be involved in bringing Kurse, though, which I think is the ultimate aim in Marvel's eyes.

Cosmic elements should be pretty easy in Thor, but idi wonder what they have in mind for Cap since A Winter Soldier story Shouldn't have any cosmic ties.

The cosmic cube was in First Avenger.

I think they're better off keeping cosmic stuff out of Winter Soldier. They'll still be fine in Avengers 2 going cosmic regardless.

The cosmic cube was in First Avenger.

I think they're better off keeping cosmic stuff out of Winter Soldier. They'll still be fine in Avengers 2 going cosmic regardless.

Probably right. I'm really looking forward to the Winter Soldier movie, though. That's one of my absolute favorite storylines from Cap, even if it does fall prey to the character returning from the dead cliche.

Deachead, do you still read? Have you been following AvX?

Although it fell into the "back from the dead" cliche, it broke the commonly accepted comic book cliche that "everyone comes back from the dead but Uncle Ben and Bucky", with Jason Todd (a Robin) added as a corrolary. I'm as jaded as they come wrt resurrections but Bucky did surprise me.

Do I still read? I'll say "yes, opportunistically". Meaning I don't have a pull list, but when Comixology has a sale on something I'd like to catch up on (like with Walking Dead 1-100 a few weeks ago) I'll pounce. Is AvX worth it? My plan is actually to buy the whole set when it's all done and 1/2 price.

It's better than that waste of time Fear Itself was, but that's not saying much. It's overly long and kind of boring. It seems like they built up Hope's character over the past few years and then didn't know what to do with her. I'm on issue 10 of 12 and Hope still hasn't really been used much at all.

I'd really like to see the yearly crossover storylines go away for a while. Doing them once a year just doesn't provide the buildup necessary. Don't get me wrong, I love Disassembled and House of M, Messiah Complex, and I think I'm one of the few people who enjoyed Second Coming and Siege...but the last couple of major crossover arcs have felt forced and aren't very entertaining.

Says it's the first to get green lit. I guess The Incredible Hulk isn't official.

Marvel could put together a dominant TV presence with the depth of their properties. I described this several years ago on the old boards. The show I'd really like to see Marvel TV do is "Kingpin". It would be a show centered around Wilson Fisk and his family and criminal empire. It would be from his perspective and that of the NYC underworld. Heroes like Daredevil, The Punisher, and Spider-man would show up from time to time, but the show would portray the blind lawyer Matt Murdoch and Daredevil as completely different people with no reason to think they're the same.

The SHIELD thing is interesting. Seems like it could have a Smallville kind of thing going for it. My only issue is I still think you need something to connect it to the rest of the Marvel U on a consistent basis, which is where I think Maria Hill would be perfect for the show. With HIMYM going away soon, Cobie Smulders should push for her character to be a regular. In the comics she's a pretty big character in the Avengers and Iron Man books, so it makes sense to me to use her as that bridge.

I think they must know they can't get her. I'd think that unless Smulders and Gregg (if it is a prequel) blew up so much from Avengers that they're not just solid TV character actors anymore, they'd be good guest stars.

I think we would see minor Marvel heroes and villains in there as well. I did like the "Iron Man was just here" line.

I'd say this is pretty good news for the Marvel Fox movies:

http://epdaily.tv/all/spotlight/mark-millar-overseeing-new-marvel-movies-from-fox/

Millar is a pretty talented guy, at least the comics world. Article also references, in passing, a reboot of FF.

In other news, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 just came out. I'm downloading it now; I'd say this is "must see" for fans of The Dark Knight Rises, even though I haven't watched it yet.

Back