• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

Must be nice when you can delay two billion dollar films and keep your job.

watched TDK this weekend and holy hell that movie takes itself so seriously it's almost hard to watch in 2019

on the flip side, Ledger's performance holds up as amazing and terrifying

Good call not making plans in 2021 !

giphy.gif

Anyone else excited to see the Incel movie this weekend? I'm sure Moonz is, wherever he is.

Two sides of right-wing sympathies were presented in TDKR. You had Bane's anti-elites uprising led by pretty much all white dudes secretly run by the woman Bane protected but couldn't love (still a little confused by that). You also had a heavy deification of cops going by trapping them underground and Gordon and JGL running around as the only cops with the assumption that all the other cops were the only defense between Gotham's greatness and total anarchy. Of course, that was a huge departure from TDK in which some of the cops were working for the mob, Joker, and Two-Face and no one could be trusted.

Part of me thinks that Nolan harbors some fascistic tendencies in the same way that Todd Phillips appears to actually be a crypto-incel. TDKR (and the other two, tbh) are right wing insofar as the right wing openly embraced fascistic politics in the years, but they basically advocate for extrajudicial law enforcement and law enforcement worship. Those movies are politically disturbing as shit, IMO.

Part of me thinks that Nolan harbors some fascistic tendencies in the same way that Todd Phillips appears to actually be a crypto-incel. TDKR (and the other two, tbh) are right wing insofar as the right wing openly embraced fascistic politics in the years, but they basically advocate for extrajudicial law enforcement and law enforcement worship. Those movies are politically disturbing as shit, IMO.

That's going to be inherent in any Batman movie because two of the main characters are a wealthy vigilante and a virtuous police commissioner. But yeah, TDKR and to a lesser extent the other two go far beyond that.

Speaking of vigilantes, did anybody else see how the Punisher comics addressed Blue Lives Matter using the Punisher logo?

https://www.newsweek.com/punisher-police-blue-lives-matter-skull-logo-1449272

punisher.png

punisher-skull.png

Last edited:
Two sides of right-wing sympathies were presented in TDKR. You had Bane's anti-elites uprising led by pretty much all white dudes secretly run by the woman Bane protected but couldn't love (still a little confused by that). You also had a heavy deification of cops going by trapping them underground and Gordon and JGL running around as the only cops with the assumption that all the other cops were the only defense between Gotham's greatness and total anarchy. Of course, that was a huge departure from TDK in which some of the cops were working for the mob, Joker, and Two-Face and no one could be trusted.

On the flip side, TDKR showed that the cops were completely ineffectual and it was Batman who was the defense from total anarchy. When Bane defeated Batman, the cops were show to be useless. I do not ercall coming away from that movie thinking it deified cops, particularly after Nolan portrayed all of the cops as dirty in BB and TDK.

On the flip side, TDKR showed that the cops were completely ineffectual and it was Batman who was the defense from total anarchy. When Bane defeated Batman, the cops were show to be useless. I do not ercall coming away from that movie thinking it deified cops, particularly after Nolan portrayed all of the cops as dirty in BB and TDK.

The cops were ineffectual because they got suckered into going underground. Perhaps deify isn't the right word, because yeah, the real god was the wealthy white man who came back to save his city. The cops were portrayed as unanimously virtuous and on the opposite side of the kangaroo courts except Matthew Modine who hid out and then got a hero's death.

The Birds of Prey trailer dropped. It was a shitty trailer for what may end up being a good movie. All I learned from the trailer was that Harley Quinn was in it. The rest of it looked like a group of women of color following a crazy white lady to do something that was completely unclear. I think the only lines in the trailer were spoken by or to Harley. No other character was named. I think Huntress and maybe Katana were in there. There was a crossbow.

Last edited:
Woof that Birds of Prey trailer failed miserably at selling something other than Harley solo movie. I'm not sure when the title got modified but they seem pretty sure Harley is what the folks want.

Speaking of BoP, they had a tv show in ye olden days when these shows were 100% for nerds (instead of today's 85%). The Huntress from that show will be in Crisis too. Given that the show has been off for over 15 years, I was curious if Ashley Scott would still be able to wear Huntress gear. Looks like the answer is yes.

CBM: Don't make plans for 2021

I think I may have watched the pilot of the old Birds of Prey. I vaguely remember Ashley Scott. Quite hot.

There’s no mention of birds or prey in that trailer. I guess they couldn’t name it Harley because people would be confused why it isn’t taking place in the 80s like Joker.

Polygon reporting that tom holland met with sony and disney ceo's "multiple times" to save the spidey deal.

Damn, did I miss all the talk about The Boys? My man Homelander from Banshee is perfect. Really liked the show.

Damn, did I miss all the talk about The Boys? My man Homelander from Banshee is perfect. Really liked the show.

There was some Boys talk soon after it was released on Prime. I didn't comment after I finished though and I do have to summarize with an enthusiastic :thumbsup:

I was unfamiliar with the Homelander actor but yeah, what a great character. Very few villains are that chilling on screen, especially the airplane scenes (both of them).

I never read the comics, but I've seen a lot of comments that this series was better than the source material.

Hopefully season 2 has a lot more Black Noir, he stole the scenes he was in without saying a word.

Should a nerd genre Hall of Fame ever come to be, Karl Urban should be an inductee. A leading role with "The Boys", LotR, Bones McCoy, Judge Dredd (the good one), and many more.

CBM: Don't make plans for 2021

Yeah. He’s been in more stuff that I realized. And he was married to Katee Sackhoff who would be in such a Hall of Fame as well.

Really liked the boys (wife enjoyed it as well). Homelander's use of his version of (superman's) heat vision is... eye opening. (Yes I went there)

Back