• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

Just that Scorsese shouldn’t judge what he hasn’t seen?

While equating him with people who protested The Last Temptation of Christ.

Gunn’s response efficient did three things: showed him respect, called him old and out of touch in a respectful way, and put Scorsese on the other side of one of his most controversial efforts.

CBM: Joker premiere

While equating him with people who protested The Last Temptation of Christ.

Gunn’s response efficient did three things: showed him respect, called him old and out of touch in a respectful way, and put Scorsese on the other side of one of his most controversial efforts.

TITCR

And he wished Scorsese well while genuinely hyping The Irishman.

So is this worth me making a 1030 solo trip tonight to see? Because that’s pretty much the only way I get to see shit in the theater these days.

I didn’t see it before you mentioned it. I wouldn’t expect Scorsese to be into Marvel films. I just think it’s ridiculous for anyone to broadly condemn a series of 23 ridiculously successful films after trying to watch one especially for not conveying human emotions. How would he even know?

Outrage? Uh, couldn't care less. In life, sometimes people like a thing you like, sometimes they don't. I hadn't even seen anything about his comments until this thread. If Scorsese doesn't like a certain type of movie, I'll file that under "thing I didn't know, now know, but will forget about soon". Count me in the "very excited for 'The Irishman'" camp as well.

Mako - my 2 cents is to go, Phoenix is, as expected, amazing.

It was a decent point well made but it doesn’t rebut the core of Scorsese’s argument. And there’s some comedy to the clear truth of the matter that Guardians of the Galaxy is literally a theme park ride. Anyway I’m not here to blow up the spot of MCU fans, was just curious of the outrage I’ve seen elsewhere carried over here. Doesn’t seem like it did.

taste is taste, man

fwiw, Jurassic Park, Jaws, Psycho, Twilight Zone, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Arc, etc. are theme park rides, too

Townie, if you were to do an Oscar bait Marvel film, what story would you tell?

So apparently I liked Joker a lot more than smart people think I should’ve. I didn’t find it dull, or hollow.

What were your issues with the movie?

A few non-spoiler takes:

- it was slow-paced — could have told that story in 1.5 hours instead of 2
- it seemed more interested in putting together a collection of memorable (or evening GIF-able) scenes than a cohesive story
- I’m unsure what its take on mental illness and mental health is, despite the fact that it seemed to have strived to be its ultimate message

Phoenix is good, but if it weren’t a Batman movie then nobody would be that nuts about it — it doesn’t stand alone on its own merit

Back