• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

Same with us. Wife will watch the movies once and enjoy it or not. She was very much into WV. Kids 8 and 11 as well. They enjoyed the sitcom tropes even though we had to explain some. 11 yo loves star wars but she's not as into the mcu much but has watched a few of the main ones and enjoyed them we enough. GotG was her gateway a few months ago. She enjoyed the humor.

it's probably not a hot take to say that the Vision v Vision conversation in the lab was the best part of the finale?

Not hot at all. Most of the reviews I’ve seen agreed.

I get that this will never happen given the cost of actors and productions these days, but I really wish a lot of these single-digit-episode seasons for TV shows would move back to a more traditional length for a TV series. Movies are movies, and Netflix is pretty good at nailing whatever they're calling the "limited/miniseries" format in that 5-7 episode, 1hr+ zone. But a ton of (what should be) more normal TV-like shows are getting cut short, and as a result they never seem to get the pacing right. I think frustration with the end of Wandavision is at least partially because the first half was so different, creative, its own thing - then it morphed into a reveal-fest of MCU plots (which will never satisfy everyone) and just ended in a rush. You don't get the chance at a "Hurley and friends fix a VW Van" episode from Lost as an example, or "Fly" from Breaking Bad.

If the Agatha reveal had been the halfway point, WandaVision could have been amazing. Instead it got into a "wrap up everything fast" mode, which made it predictable albeit still entertaining.

I read a quote from Shakman where he said they were planning for ten episodes, and shot enough footage to lengthen it to ten, but due to Covid they weren't able to finish the VFX in time. There was a whole subplot where Monica, Darcy and the kids go after the Darkhold and fight a demon rabbit that got left on the cutting room floor. They were still wrapping up when the first episode aired.

Last edited:
Yes I saw the interview with Shakman where he discusses it with Kevin Smith. It was Agnes' bunny.

Interesting interview with the WandaVision director:
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-...rector-matt-shakman-sitcom-interview-1139129/

This quote changes the way I think about the MCU and makes what they've done over 23 films and one show that much more impressive.

When you’re loaned toys that Marvel owns, I assume you don’t have to return them in mint condition, but you do have to return them in a condition that’s been pre-arranged so they can be used in the next thing, like how Wanda will be in the Doctor Strange sequel? How much freedom did you guys have to fundamentally change her as a result of what takes place here?
A lot more freedom than I would have expected, actually. I love working at Marvel because they are so welcoming to filmmakers and super-supportive, and Kevin Feige is a wonderful creative partner in building these things. From the outside, people ask that question and they assume it’s a jigsaw puzzle, and you’re fitting into a larger plan. But really, it feels like a relay race, where you’re getting the baton passed to you. You run with it as hard as you can and then pass the baton off. I talked with other filmmakers who are moving forward with these characters, but really, it’s a little bit on them to inherit the snowball that’s coming down the hill towards them, pick it up, and keep rolling with it. They have to continue the narrative we’ve done with these characters, as opposed to us having to end up in a place that works with that next movie.

There’s certainly a hierarchy.

Beats demon church leadership though.

Surprised to see the new JL at around 80% on RT. People seem to either really love it or really hate it (mostly because of the length). I'm mildly excited to watch it over the course of four sittings.

From what I've read, people who liked the original and big Synder fans absolutely love it. Everyone else is meh. I still never watched the original and I guess I probably never will at this point. One interesting thing I read is this film benefits from being filmed after Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Of course, that's what they should have done, solo films building toward a team-up.

Yeah the buzz is... good. At worst I hear it's a major improvement, which could be like saying cinnamon flavored poop.

Reading more about the initial production it does seem like a case of studio mismanagement. Snyder made a grimdark movie, the execs wanted to have Avenger style yucks in it and brought in the guy who knew it best. So they ended up with neither grimdark nor humorous. I have low expectations for this because "true to Snyder's vision" doesn't win me over but I'll be there for the full 4 hours ASAP.

Here's a first for me, a tv show is coming about a character I've never even heard of.

Snyder cut is so long. Wife did like two hours and then gave up. A lot of lingering shots and musical interludes. Some cool things (I guess they were added, don't remember), but really just long.

DC just can't get out of their own damn way on this Justice League stuff.

I'm halfway through JL. I actually dig it so far but you do have to break it up. So far it addresses a lot of my major complaints from the initial release. I'll withhold judgement until done.

No withholding judgement for F&WS. Thumbs up to E1. Straightforward compared to WandaVision but that's alright. It starts off like an 80s action movie. That is the highest compliment I can give. Only 6 episodes so I'm not expecting any filler.

All told, I'm going to give Snyder Cut a passing grade. For perspective, the original release was the rare movie that actually made me angry walking out of the theater. Godzilla 98 was another.

I still have to process if my like of Snyder Cut is absolute or just relative to the prior version due to having the things that made me angriest addressed. For example Cyborg's inclusion is meaningful now and I can see why Ray Fisher was so pissed off at Whedon. Steppenwolf is now something more than a CGI monstrosity that just spouts "I shall lay waste to your world" repeatedly.

A lot of folks complain about length but I'm a-ok with that. I would have a different perspective if it were a theatrical release but from the comfort of my couch, I can segment the viewing appropriately.

Oh and most importantly - no CGI mustache white-out. That ruined JL for me before the opening credits even appeared.

I did not see the original JL and only watched an hour of the Snyder JL last night, but dig it so far. It definitely would benefit from some cutting in parts, but so far it has only made some scenes almost ponderous, as opposed to actually ponderous. Not sure about the 4:3 aspect ratio and why that was his "vision." Maybe because comic books are drawn in squares or something? Or maybe it just trimmed the edges off the CGI budget so he could make more movie. Either way, you do get used to it pretty fast. I'm just glad it's not in B&W, which is something I thought I read.

Last edited:
Back