• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

The big problem I had with Captain Marvel was the decision to use flashbacks instead of a chronological origin story. I understand that there is origin story fatigue out there, but just like you need an origin story for Doctor Strange and Ant-Man, you need one for Captain Marvel. The way they did it is like if Captain America started in WWII and there were a few flashbacks of a scrawny kid getting his ass kicked, enlisting, falling on a fake grenade, and stepping out of the super soldier machine. I understand the allure of an amnesia based mystery but that element of the film just didn't deliver. The film worked in spite of it, definitely not because of it.

There are two reasons it didn't work. First, much of the movie was spent teasing this badass fighter pilot named Carol Danvers who throughout her life got knocked down and got right back up. The ads teased this hard. I didn't realize the film would basically be what we saw in the ads. It would have been much stronger if it had started with Carol as a little girl.

The second reason it didn't work is that they clearly wanted to set up the Kree-Skrulls twist, but they had already spoiled it in Guardians of the Galaxy and the whole last season of Agents of SHIELD. Any loyal MCU viewer who saw Korath in the opening scene had to think, "He was a bad guy in Guardians of the Galaxy. He's probably one here too." If they didn't question it then, it was confirmed when Yon-Rogg was working with the accusers. That twist was unnecessary.

Now the Dr. Lawson twist was good, but it would have been much better in chronological order after becoming invested in the relationship between Carol and Lawson.

After writing this out, I've convinced myself that the movie we got should have been Captain Marvel 2 and Captain Marvel 1 should have been lady Top Gun with what surely would have been a controversial interracial lesbian love story. Throw in some Air Force d-bags as stereotypical 80s/90s movie villains and you've got the right stuff. Midway through the film, Danvers gets her big break when Lawson tags her for a secret mission. Then she gets abducted to Hala. Then meeting the Supreme Intelligence would be emotional for the audience. The film could end with a big victory over the Skrulls and an after credits scene could show that everything isn't what it seems. Even better if this film happens before Guardians of the Galaxy. Maybe the opening scene would be another mid-credits scene for Captain Marvel 1.

Anyway, some other thoughts. The CGI for young Fury and Coulson was excellent. Disappointed Coulson didn't have more scenes, but whatever. The "cat" was cool. All the supporting casts were fine. Monica was a highlight and suggests a much bigger role in the sequel.

Last edited:
saw Captain Marvel today and wasn't expecting much, but my entire family loved it. My wife knows squat about the MCU, but she absolutely loved it. My kids couldn't stop talking about the cat. I was surprised how funny i thought it was.

One more casting note, brilliant stroke to cast professional bad guy Ben Mendelsohn as Talos. Well done.

I enjoyed the movie. Marvel does a great job of making the audience feel the importance of gravitas of a hero showing up or getting her powers. From Iron Man showing up in Avengers to Captain America’s reveal behind the train in Avengers: IW and Captain Marvel unlocking her powers in this movie, it’s always great.

My biggest complaint is I had no idea what time the movie was set. Maybe they could’ve sprinkled in a pop culture reference to help me out.

I agree with a lot of what Ph says above. I think this is maybe the first time a Marvel character/movie felt rushed.

Maybe a weird criticism too, but the usage of period music felt a tad too on the nose for this one to me. It felt distracting to me rather than enhancing the scenes where they were used.

Agree about the music. I felt like they could have had an iconic 90s soundtrack. I was expecting something similar to GOTG in that respect. But it was a miss overall.

$153M opening weekend, $455M worldwide.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...-opens-historic-153m-us-455m-globally-1193585

The tentpole's global launch reps the biggest ever for a female-fronted film — eclipsing Beauty and the Beast ($357 million) — as well as the second-largest for any superhero pic behind Avengers: Infinity War ($640.5 million). Overall, it's the sixth-best worldwide bow of all time, and the international opening of $302 million is the fifth-biggest ever ahead of Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($281 million).

In North America, Marvel and Disney's first comic book adaptation featuring a woman in the lead role made history in surpassing the $103 million grossed by DC's groundbreaking Wonder Woman on its first weekend, as well as landing the seventh-biggest debut for the Marvel Cinematic Universe behind the three Avengers movies, Black Panther, Captain America: Civil War and Iron Man 3, not adjusted for inflation. It's also the second-largest domestic start for a superhero pic starring a new character behind Black Panther, the first Hollywood studio tentpole to feature an African-American cast.

Black Panther wasn't a new character coming off Civil War, so I'd go ahead and give Captain America the #1 spot. Either way, Marvel has quickly dispelled the myths that minorities and women can't score big at the box office.

Last edited:
More from that article, Alita: Battle Angel stands at $78.3M after 4 weeks. So much for James Woods and the incels trying to get people to go see that instead of Captain Marvel. Interesting that the Captain Marvel moviegoers were disproportionately male and disproportionately non-white. The later may just be an age effect though.

Cloak and Dagger season 2 premieres on April 4 with two episodes.

AOS Season 6 returns in May. They're already filming Season 7.

Saw CM yesterday. Disagree with Ph in that I liked the plot structure of unfolding Carol’s backstory as a mystery she is learning as the audience does. I’ve seen the straightforward chronological origin with essentially every other Marvel hero so I enjoyed the change. I’m not familiar with Carol Danvers from the comics but felt this did a fine job of introducing her to the MCU.

Do agree on the 90s references though; a little forced and didn’t really serve much purpose other than to make people like me who grew up during those years to go “haha I remember Blockbuster and Nirvana”. No Doubt I’m Just A Girl is very obvious in the scene it was used.

Thought there were a lot of funny moments and although the Kree/Skrulls twist should have been predictable I thought it still worked, mostly because of the Ben Mendolsson casting.

The climax with her realizing her powers is a great moment in MCU history.

I saw Captain Marvel today and thought it was pretty good. I was waiting for the reveal that the Kree were bad guys, but the twist that the Skrulls were "good" surprised me because in the comics both the Kree and Skrulls are "bad". I don't have any major complaints about the movie. It would have been nice if Coulson had a much bigger role and had more interaction with Fury.

The cosmic side of the MCU will only get better when the Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer get introduced.

Those particular Skrulls were good. Just like humans have good people and also have Trumpites, the same no doubt is true for Skrulls. I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if there was a "Secret Invasion" and maybe one or two people we're familiar with in movies have been Skrulls all along.

Speaking of cosmic, I'm surprised that with all the talk of Project Pegasus that Wendell Vaughn's name wasn't at least thrown around. I'm sure there are no plans to feature Quasar until phase 18, but still, he's inextricably tied to Pegasus.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll have Skrulls be villains eventually. It will be interesting to see how the cosmic side of the MCU gets fleshed out as so many major properties are available now.

I agree they missed an opportunity to name drop Vaughn.

I think the MCU origin for Captain Marvel's powers was an improvement over her comic origin. It gave her more agency.

Also of all the named Skrulls that they could have used for the movie, I wonder why they chose Talos? His defining feature in the comics was his inability to shapeshift.

I'm going to guess that using Talos was a contractual thing. Marvel Studios has rights to "the Skrulls" but Fox has (whatever the proper verb tense now) rights to "named Skrulls" (like Kl'rt).

I thought CM was pretty good. I appreciated the nostalgia trip. You have to remember that a big portion of the audience has no recollection of the 90s. To kids it might as well have been First Avenger or First Class.

I completely disagree with Ph about the flashbacks. It would have felt so derivative of Captain America with a forced female lead with a traditional origin story. The flashbacks were a nice way to establish those details without being stale.

I also wouldn’t assume that everyone saw the Kree heel turn coming. This thread isn’t exactly the average viewer of this film that would remember the references from other films.

I thought CM was pretty good. I appreciated the nostalgia trip. You have to remember that a big portion of the audience has no recollection of the 90s. To kids it might as well have been First Avenger or First Class.

I completely disagree with Ph about the flashbacks. It would have felt so derivative of Captain America with a forced female lead with a traditional origin story. The flashbacks were a nice way to establish those details without being stale.

I also wouldn’t assume that everyone saw the Kree heel turn coming. This thread isn’t exactly the average viewer of this film that would remember the references from other films.

Is this true? Given age demos of film-goers, I would think the majority of people seeing this movie would get hit right in the feels with that nostalgia.

I'm closer to the average viewer for these movies and I didn't remember the Kree thing. I knew Ronin was a bag guy from GotG, but didn't remember the connection and only vaguely recalled Djimon Hounsou's character.

Back