• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Kudos to IAppreciateIt. This is the rare post that is looking smarter and smarter as time progresses. Dude is cleaning up in the WAC. Utah State one of the toughest places in the country to go and he walks out with a win. Has not lost since this thread started.

Premier broke his always hire from Ohio trend with baseball when he dipped down in to Louisiana. Maybe he'll do the same for hoops

Last edited:
Watched the entire LTU game. Utah State has lost 4 of their 5 opening day starters to injuries (including WAC Pre-season POY). It was a nice win by LTU nonetheless.

Led most of the game but let USU back into it before a late 3 to win it for them.

We supposedly looked at Dr. John when we hired Skip. That kind of tells you what his last 12 years have been like (mediocre).

VCU now ahead btw.

LaSalle wins. They did beat Iona by 14, Richmond, Butler, and VCU. But lost to Central Connecticut st., Xavier, and Charlotte.

Lehigh wins at Bucknell, still without McCollum. #ReedIn

Of course, the last coach I endorsed was Mark Montgomery, whose Northern Illinois team set a record for futility yesterday worse than our shooting performances.

LaSalle wins. They did beat Iona by 14, Richmond, Butler, and VCU. But lost to Central Connecticut st., Xavier, and Charlotte.

This is his 17th season as a D1 head coach. He has had a NIT appearance. That's it.

This is his 17th season as a D1 head coach. He has had a NIT appearance. That's it.

I've followed the A10 for quite some time and can say with confidence that Dr. John is a miserable coach and human being, one of the few people who might replicate a Buzz effect at Wake.

Didn't Capel have NCAA issues at Oklahoma?

Yeah, but the story out of OU that I've heard is that Capel came our clean. Bad assistants, good coach or something like that.

That's the story on Calipari too...in neither case do I really buy it.

1a/1b. Shaka/Stevens
2. Gregg Marshall
3. Gregg Marshall
4. Gregg Marshall
5. Gregg Marshall

If we have a preset, very low budget limit, we won't get anyone decent....

Better question is... Doesn't Capel suck?

5 seats away from K(and his trusted circle) on the Duke bench. His career is not on the upswing.

6784284861_1502617613_z.jpg

I don't really mind Capel as a plan c. But he should be a plan c, not a plan a.

I think a couple years off as a head coach can give guys a bit of a perspective on areas of weakness and what they should do differently. The obvious example is Steve Lavin. Capel did have a couple of really good years, and he's been learning from the "master" (almost barfed) these past couple of years.

On the otherhand, his last couple of teams supposedly had some major chemistry issues (and some "culture" ones as well, IIRC), and I don't know that I ever seen a game in which he was the head coach so I am not really well informed here.

I think about Pelphrey in the same way.

Capel would be a major letdown.

On the plus side, in his best season at Oklahoma, Capel had 30 wins. In his 2.5+ seasons at Wake, Mr. [Redacted] has 31 wins.

That thirty win season still doesn't stop OU fans from talking about him as a shitty coach though. Had several good players, but always played pretty lackluster bball on the court.

I'd honestly rather ride the Bz wave next year than make a lateral move like Capel.

No argument here. The best thing about Mr. [Redacted] is that it's an absolute no-brainer for the next (competent) AD to fire him. My biggest fear is that Wellman will latch onto some Greenburg-caliber coach who mires us in mediocrity for several more years while the new AD gives him a chance to prove himself.

i wish apetit could be our selection committee

Back