• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Law School is a sham

I earned the CPCU designation in my insurance field and it's no joke- took me 5 years to finish it while working full time.

At Wake? Unlikely. Certainly not when I was there. Buckets is right, the pass rate's so high at wake probably because we all take Becker together after graduating. Most of my masters classes had nothing to do with the test.

Was told this by an ECU CPA.
Appears "understand" is too strong.

Is a Masters now required ?

Last edited:
State by state requirements are different. For NC I think 150 credit hours was the requirement, and a masters would meet that.

"The LSAC cautions that it's too early to start worrying" ... who is worrying? This is great news for the profession, which has to deal with less unqualified lawyers fucking up the legal system, as well as great news for the kids who would have incurred massive debt on a bad profession choice. The only people worried would I guess be law school admins and profs, who are usually reject lawyers anyway so I don't feel too bad for them having to move on to something else instead of duping college kids to follow in their unwise footsteps.

I have a feeling that we're losing a good portion of the "middle class" applicants - not the 180 LSATers, but the 170-160 LSATers. If I had to guess, those folks are headed to other professions in droves.

Granted, this is mostly just anecdotal, but it makes a good deal of sense.

Low 160s plus decent grades will get you into a lot of t50 law schools. That doesn't correspond to a 'middle class' applicant, and is certainly way above the range for the law schooler that is likely dropping out of the market. There are still plenty of applicants for the t100 schools. The places below that were the ones that benefited from the economy tank, and are now going to suffer after the recovery.

Is this really how it works?

In my #anecdotal experience, some law school staff/profs were super successful lawyers who made obscene bank in private practice and then went into academia because they didn't need any more money and liked to showcase their success to students, but most were people who couldn't get a job anywhere else so were like fuck it, maybe somebody will pay me to teach. I don't know anybody near the top of their law school class with legit job prospects who decides to forego those prospects to go on staff with a law school.

Low 160s plus decent grades will get you into a lot of t50 law schools. That doesn't correspond to a 'middle class' applicant, and is certainly way above the range for the law schooler that is likely dropping out of the market. There are still plenty of applicants for the t100 schools. The places below that were the ones that benefited from the economy tank, and are now going to suffer after the recovery.

Wasn't true when I applied over a decade ago.

In my #anecdotal experience, some law school staff/profs were super successful lawyers who made obscene bank in private practice and then went into academia because they didn't need any more money and liked to showcase their success to students, but most were people who couldn't get a job anywhere else so were like fuck it, maybe somebody will pay me to teach. I don't know anybody near the top of their law school class with legit job prospects who decides to forego those prospects to go on staff with a law school.

There is definitely a third category, which is smart lawyers who were doing OK in private practice but get tired of the grind and the bullshit of practicing law and choose the different grind and bullshit of professing it. Not failures or bad lawyers by any means, just decide to step off the treadmill. I know several GSO lawyers who signed on to Elon when it opened its law school that are in this category. Some still practice part time.

Same kind of personality type that is attracted to in-house work, IMO.

I'm not sure less applications = fewer unqualified laywers. In fact, I'm confident it means the opposite.

The type of person who looks at the market, does some research, and decides that the legal profession isn't a good financial fit isn't likely to be in the "unqualified lawyers" pool.

I've related some of my stories of working in admissions at the law school before, but I would hazard that the individual who "got a better than perfect score" of 126 on his LSAT is the same type of individual who isn't looking at the long-term legal market to make his decision on whether or not to go to law school.

Again, look at it this way - do you think Charlotte Law has much of a vested interest in doing anything other than collecting a government check from a student for 3 years? Charlotte Law gets the money on the front end - it isn't liable for a student's debt in the long term. As long as they have one or two successful alum each year (which is bound to happen with 100+ "graduates"), their train keeps on steaming.

I have a feeling that we're losing a good portion of the "middle class" applicants - not the 180 LSATers, but the 170-160 LSATers. If I had to guess, those folks are headed to other professions in droves.

Granted, this is mostly just anecdotal, but it makes a good deal of sense.

This is pretty much exactly what the article says. Many, many law schools have lowered their "floor" and are accepting less qualified applicants.

That was absolutely not the case with my law professors. Almost to a person each one of them was very qualified (federal clerkship, significant practice experience). I don't know that all of them would end up being huge rainmakers in private practice, as I think teaching and publishing is a drastically different skill set than developing a client base. But I didn't have many folks who were fuck-ups as lawyers who became professors.

Maybe that is because I didn't go to a shitty law school like dook, but whatever.

That was absolutely not the case with my law professors. Almost to a person each one of them was very qualified (federal clerkship, significant practice experience). I don't know that all of them would end up being huge rainmakers in private practice, as I think teaching and publishing is a drastically different skill set than developing a client base. But I didn't have many folks who were fuck-ups as lawyers who became professors.

Maybe that is because I didn't go to a shitty law school like dook, but whatever.

You just agreed with his argument. 'Fuck up' may be a strong word, but if they wouldn't have been good in private practice then they ended up teaching. Whatever 'non-shitty' law school you went to didn't teach you how to make a coherent argument.

Developing a client base is a massive component of being a successful lawyer, teaching and publishing is not. Hence why they can nonetheless be great teachers while having been fuck ups as lawyers.

Back