• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Law School is a sham

My boss is 56. Both kids grown. He stays in the office until 8-9 every night, not because of deadlines. Im convinced that its either bc he doesnt want to go home to his wife, or really has nothing else to do.

Does he know about Up, Up and a Hey? Sounds like that dude could get season tickets. You could change his whole life.

I am curious though how it is that "No one in my hospital sees an extra dime for seeing an extra patient, performing an additional procedure, or ordering another test." Are they doing the work for free? Money is being paid by someone for these tests. Even "non-profit" hospitals make money. Physicians who are salaried (i.e., Mayo clinic) don't have a profit motive to run the tests, but on up the chain the CEO, CFO, and other management gets evaluated by whether the hospital is operating at a loss or at a profit. The overtesting creates profit. A hospital with lots of operating profit tends to have a very highly paid executive team. So, upper management has no incentive to try and stop the overtesting or change the culture, because they make money from it. I suspect that in many systems, they overtly or covertly encourage it.

Dude, most of healthcare and probably 85% of hospitals run on the medicare/medicade reimbursement system. I dont have the time to look it up here, but Bama is correct. Hospital admins dont run things like a manging partner. Look into it.

Last edited:
Dude, most of healthcare and probably 85% of hospitals run on the medicare/medicade reimbursement system. I dont have the time to look it up here, but Bama is correct. Hospital admins dont run things like a manging partner. Look into it.

Not sure what you mean. Hospitals make a shit load of money and their executives' pay rises as they make more and more money.

Do you believe that negligent medical providers should not be responsible for the damage caused by the negligence?

Negligent medical providers? Sure - but why should the OB/GYN be responsible when your kid pops out full retard. People always want someone to blame and when it's healthcare related, let's go for the entire medical team. It's not our fault your 300 lb fat ass needed to have surgery and the anesthesia complications caused your brain to blow a gasket. Maybe you shouldn't have eaten Big Mac's for the last 30 years. Frivolous medical lawsuits drive me up the wall - if the healthcare provider is a fucking moron and commits negligent harm, then sure - go after him. Otherwise, understand that certain procedures and diagnosis come with certain risks and the less healthy you are, the more risk you are at.

Also, take your thimerosol vaccination lawsuits and shove 'em.

Last edited:
Negligent medical providers? Sure - but why should the OB/GYN be responsible when your kid pops out full retard. People always want someone to blame and when it's healthcare related, let's go for the entire medical team. It's not our fault your 300 lb fat ass needed to have surgery and the anesthesia complications caused your brain to blow a gasket. Maybe you shouldn't have eaten Big Mac's for the last 30 years. Frivolous medical lawsuits drive me up the wall - if the healthcare provider is a fucking moron and commits negligent harm, then sure - go after him. Otherwise, understand that certain procedures and diagnosis come with certain risks and the less healthy you are, the more risk you are at.

Also, take your thimerosol vaccination lawsuits and shove 'em.

This rant is fine, as long as you also realize that many, many states, very much including NC, have enacted extremely tough med mal laws that put up a ton of roadblocks to med mal suits. No NC lawyer is going to file a med mal suit unless it is very, very well supported, because if he/she does file a frivolous it's going to get thrown out and the lawyer is going to be exposed to the possibility of fines, court costs, and the opponent's attorneys fees.

This rant is fine, as long as you also realize that many, many states, very much including NC, have enacted extremely tough med mal laws that put up a ton of roadblocks to med mal suits. No NC lawyer is going to file a med mal suit unless it is very, very well supported, because if he/she does file a frivolous it's going to get thrown out and the lawyer is going to be exposed to the possibility of fines, court costs, and the opponent's attorneys fees.

Yup - you're right... as I've mentioned on here, I'm still in school so I obviously do not have the experience/knowledge that many in the field have. That being said, I know here in NJ, many of our EM physicians go down to Texas because of their very strict med mal laws. Whatever I choose to practice, I just hope I am at least immune from the frivolous time/resource wasting lawsuits. Listen, if I fuck something up and cause harm - not only will I probably kill myself out of guilt, but sure - come after me. Otherwise, I will simply try to do the best I can day in and day out, and it would be nice if others understood that many things are out of the physician's hands.

Honestly, I could give a longer rant about average people being demanding, impatient assholes in an emergency room - I mean, people really do suck. I'm on my way into work in 30 minutes and if it's anything like last night, I will want to punch someone in the face by midnight. One guy wasn't happy last night that we wouldn't give him narcotics, so he jammed a towel into the toilet in his room and flooded half our floor. I walk around with a constant 'Who the fuck are these people?' thought racing through my head.

Double rant over.

The Florida legislature is trying to pass some legislation to curb medical malpractice lawsuits. One of the issues is related to expert witnesses.

Florida is already a really difficult state to bring a med mal case. Due to all the restrictions of filing a med mal lawsuit in this state, at a minimum, a lawyer will spend 10k just to bring a suit. That's just to file with all the supporting documentation that's necessary. If he files, he knows he's going to be into it for six figures. And, there's caps on damages. So, there's a lot of risk with a capped reward.

The concept of a frivolous med mal suit in Florida is pretty laughable. It's even more laughable if a frivolous lawsuit was brought against an ER doctor because of the tougher standards.

I dont say this to go against what some of the doctors have said on this thread. I've done some med mal defense and I know how personal it is for the doctors. As much as doctors hate lawyers for all the lawsuits, though, they act as if lawyers are not subject to the same thing themselves. Lawyers are constantly covering their ass every time they do something. If it's not a potential malpractice suit, it's the potential of a bar complaint and getting suspended.

I know it's fun to hate on lawyers, but it's a positive that we live in a society that people and, in particular our professionals, are held responsible for their negligence. It may be tough for doctors to believe this with their God complex and all...but, sometimes they do make mistakes. :)

Last edited:
Florida is already a really difficult state to bring a med mal case. Due to all the restrictions of filing a med mal lawsuit in this state, at a minimum, a lawyer will spend 10k just to bring a suit. That's just to file with all the supporting documentation that's necessary. If he files, he knows he's going to be into it for six figures. And, there's caps on damages. So, there's a lot of risk with a capped reward.

The concept of a frivolous med mal suit in Florida is pretty laughable. It's even more laughable if a frivolous lawsuit was brought against an ER doctor because of the tougher standards.

I dont say this to go against what some of the doctors have said on this thread. I've done some med mal defense and I know how personal it is for the doctors. As much as doctors hate lawyers for all the lawsuits, though, they act as if lawyers are not subject to the same thing themselves. Lawyers are constantly covering their ass every time they do something. If it's not a potential malpractice suit, it's the potential of a bar complaint and getting suspended.

I know it's fun to hate on lawyers, but it's a positive that we live in a society that people and, in particular our professionals, are held responsible for their negligence. It may be tough for doctors to believe this with their God complex and all...but, sometimes they do make mistakes. :)

this conversation brings up a whole lot of interesting tangents, such as:
- Why does the process of resolving a med mal dispute in the courts have to be such a nightmare for both sides?
- Would we be better off with more regulation of doctors, higher barriers to suits, more funding/reform to courts to enable more efficient and less disputatious resolution of disputes, all of the above?
- When certain groups lobby to have the ground rules changed to make it harder for that group to be sued, does that undermine the faith of the general public in the rule of law? Does it lead to calls for more government oversight, since the common man who is hurt has no individual recourse and has to rely on the government to protect him?

Don't have the answers, but these are the kinds of things I think about when I should be working.

I am reminding of the phrase that I once heard:

The MCAT determines if you can go to Med School. The LSAT determines which law school you are going to.

Except that Carribbean med schools are the equivalent of Charlotte Law. Lets not act like there arent also a bunch of docs out there that probs shouldnt have made it to MD.

Dude that's just life in NJ, in the hospital or at a law firm.

There are lots and lots and lots of people in this world who just plain suck. That doesn't change regardless of where you are.

nc_law_school_tuition_0.JPG

In contracts right now. Its all a sham. Im gonna be fine though. Thinkin about droppin out and becoming a distiller at Smokey Mountain Moonshine

Back