• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread 3.0 - The Manning era begins: The Harry Giles Chronicles

Evan Daniels Scout article

One of the biggest finds of the first evaluation period was Matthew Fisher-Davis, a 6-foot-5 guard out of Charlotte (N.C.) Christian.
Playing for the Charlotte Nets at the Peach State Classic, Fisher-Davis showed off a terrific looking jump shot all week. Not only is he a good three-point shooter with range, but he also has a quick release and a developed middle game.

“I’m trying to work on scoring from all three levels more and more than just catch and shooting,” Fisher-Davis said.

So how did Fisher-Davis emerge from the unknown?

“I broke my [shooting] hand during the middle of the season,” Fisher-Davis added. “I still played. I played throughout.”

“It was bad,” he said of his season. “We had a lot of injuries.”

His shooting hand looked just fine this week and a trio of high major schools noticed. Vanderbilt, Mississippi and Georgia offered him after watching with at the Peach State Classic.

He also has scholarship offers from Charlotte, UNC-Wilmington, Citadel, Elon, Ohio, Northern Kentucky, Western Carolina, Appalachian State, Jacksonville, Mercer, Radford, Liberty, Gardner-Webb, Colgate and Tulsa.

Wake Forest is also heavily involved in the Fisher-Davis recruitment. They watched him at Peach State and had him on their campus for their elite camp.

hahaha and Pack Pride has been cracking jokes about Kennedy Meek's weight since he signed with UNC. Oh the irony.

Everyone is concerned with Anya's weight on the Pack side of things. He would struggle if his wingspan want the longest ever recorded but it is so he's still a guy that is useful fat or not. He and Meeks are both enormous though, no doubt about it

For sure. It's like last year all over again. I'm sure Fisher-Davis is solid, just like I'm sure Miles Overton will be solid, but it really sucks to see our staff not be able to lock down commitments from Scout's #78 (Mitchell) and #85 (Johnson, and guys who aren't even ranked in ESPN's 2014 Top-100 (neither Mitchell nor Johnson). Back in the day, those were our guys, without question.

To put it in perspective, we're missing out on Gary Clark caliber recruits.

ETA: "Missing out" is jumping the gun, and unfair. We missed out on our 2013 SG recruits, most of whom were Gary Clark-caliber (#25ish positionally and late-to-fringe top-100). "Struggling" to recruit is more accurate, based on the press and our Buzz-era recruiting sample size.

Last edited:
This is our competition now:
Charlotte, Georgia, Mississippi, UNCW, Northern Kentucky, Ohio, Tulsa, Vanderbilt, Western Carolina, W. Kentucky

The [Redacted] Zone

I mean, Fisher-Davis evidently played really well in a national showcase, so his offer sheet will undoubtedly improve. His is already much better than Codi, Aaron, or Andre's offer sheets the summer before their senior years.

That being said, our recruiting strategy is just putrid. In our seven man 2012 class, diamonds in the rough panned out roughly 2/6 (Devin and Codi vs. Madison, Tree, Dre, and Cav) in terms of ID'ing ACC-ready players. That's concerning, seeing as we either score recruits before they break, get guys that fall through the cracks, or settle for fourth or fifth options. That's not going to cut it in the ACC, not now and not ever.

As others have pointed out, this is a really frustrating pattern to relive, now, year-after-year.

A thread on TOB says that Daniel Green has re-injured his knee. Any updates on this?

Nothing outside of what was posted on the Pro-Am league thread:

Not a good night for Deacs tonight. Travis not playing because of ankle. Thomas not playing because of back. Williams not playing because of injury. Jones turned ankle and didn't play the 2nd half. Moto not there. Not sure if injury related. Green tweaked his bad knee this week.

CMM really looked good. Seems faster and quicker.

It was last week and it was a bit more than a tweak.

Didn't see this posted yet, but it looks like we're in the running for a 2015 PF named Tyler Lydon. Lydon plays on Cav's old AAU team and has an impressive offer sheet.

Tyler Lydon
6'8/6'9, 181/185

Rivals 3* #93 Overall
ESPN 3* #26 PF
Scout 3* UR

College Basketball Talk is impressed.

PHILADELPHIA — After finishing his junior season at Pine Plains HS (NY), most analysts believed that 6-foot-8 forward Tyler Lydon had mid-major recruit written all over him.

But after a successful spring that followed up on a decision to reclassify into the
Class of 2015, Lydon has started to college offers from a number of high-major programs, including teams that appear to be tournament-bound. He listed offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Providence, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Boston U, and Penn State, while noting that Virginia, Syracuse, Georgia Tech and Stanford had been inquiring of late.

“To be honest, I want to get like five more offers from bigger schools,” Lydon said of his goals heading into the summer’s open period. “I want to compete against the best.”

He’ll have a chance to do that for the rest of his high school career, as his decision to reclassify went hand-in-hand with a transfer to New Hampton Prep (NH). Notre Dame’s Zach Auguste, Boston College’s Olivier Hanlan and Indiana’s Noah Vonleh have all graced New Hampton’s roster in recent seasons.

“I can’t wait,” Lydon said. “Some of my teammates, we’re starting to get real close and I’m just looking forward to getting out there and playing. It’s the best competition in the country.”

Lydon may be competing against the best, but if Rivals No. 93 player in the Class of 2015 is going to be one of the best, the biggest improvement that he can make is to had some muscle to his 190 pound frame. Lydon may check in at 6-foot-8, but he’s still more of a perimeter option than he is a post presence, and while some of that has to do with his lack of size, much of it is because he’s an excellent shooter that’s more comfortable on the perimeter.

Think former Notre Dame wing Tim Abromaitis.

“My strength, obviously, I’m too skinny,” Lydon said of what he needs to improve on. “I want to work on my ball-handling and shooting, but I want to improve on everything right now, so I’m just going to be in the gym all day working at it.”

From NBE Basketball:

Tyler Lydon, a 6-foot-8 class of 2015 forward, said he has about 12 offers thus far. The New Hampton (NH) prospect specifically mentioned Iowa, Iowa State, Providence, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Boston University, Seton Hall, Minnesota, James Madison, and Siena. Additionally, Lydon said he is garnering interest from Florida, Syracuse, Michigan, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Wake Forest, and others. As for whether he has any favorites, Lydon remarked, “I like Florida, I like Wake Forest, Syracuse, Iowa. It’s tough, they’re all about the same now.” Lydon said that Florida, Syracuse and Iowa are the three schools coming at him the hardest.

James Madison is the only school he has visited and he has no other trips planned. Lydon, a New York native who plays for the Albany City Rocks, talked about his timetable for a commitment. “Probably the fall [of my] senior year, but . . . it could be any time I feel like whenever the right offer comes,” Lydon said. He added that there is no specific offer he is waiting on and he has yet to decide if he wants to sign early or late.

He seems like a solid prospect, but more like Cav than the bruiser that we badly need down low. It's good to see the staff recruiting bigs, though.

As a American of Scandinavian descent I am beginning a petition to get the Northern Kentucky Norse to change their name and mascot. Hey, they are kind of D-1.

They are D-1. Just made the transition last year. I think they play in either the Atlantic Sun.

They are D-1. Just made the transition last year. I think they play in either the Atlantic Sun.

I thought that the NCAA requires a transition period and that Victor the Viking doesn't become fully D-1 until the 2016-2017 academic year.

I hear fir the 2015-16 seasons that [Redacted] is finding out whom Swarthmore, Juniata and CalTech are recruiting.

The University of the Incarnate Word is also moving up to D-1. You can't make this up. Another team against which to recruit. "D-4" can't happen soon enough.

‏@EvanDanielsFOX
Word has it Matthew Fisher-Davis' performance during the first eval period wasn't a fluke...

Looks like we've offered MFD.

@EvanDanielsFOX: Matthew Fisher-Davis said he picked up scholarship offers from Wake Forest & Virginia since the second evaluation period.

Watching MFD's highlights above, I see is a smooth player with fluid motions and an obviously good shooting stroke. But his (lack of?) athleticism worries me - it seems like he fools people because of his relaxed, easy motions, but I worry about his ultimate defensive role and ability to score at the basket against top competition.

That said, I also see a poor man's HS Klay Thompson. Quick release, crafty, lanky, dead eye shooter... Thoughts, all you scouty people?

Back