• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

It was tortured legislation when Democrats served up this late term abortion
You're right - it should have been straight up socialized universal health care, instead of this state level private-public bullshit. The complete cost of health care should be payed for in tax dollars.

With Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court, this thread is over for all intents and purposes. He will vote to kill it.

With Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court, this thread is over for all intents and purposes. He will vote to kill it.

As did the justice he is replacing. So we stay at 5-4. Its unlikely other ACA killing cases will make it up the hill.

Yeah. I’m more concerned about killing any effort toward universal health care.

As did the justice he is replacing. So we stay at 5-4. Its unlikely other ACA killing cases will make it up the hill.

With him on the Court, it becomes much more radically RW. Add to the likelihood that he will have a lifetime of retaliation against those he thought have wronged him. The difference between the genteel Kennedy and the loud Kavanaugh and Roberts will have cover to vote with the RW radicals on this bench.

With him on the Court, it becomes much more radically RW. Add to the likelihood that he will have a lifetime of retaliation against those he thought have wronged him. The difference between the genteel Kennedy and the loud Kavanaugh and Roberts will have cover to vote with the RW radicals on this bench.

Meh. On the ACA, Kennedy was pretty outspoken critic. Im not sure I would ever call Justice Roberts will be terribly influenced on this issue.

NC State Employees want to peg their fees to Medicare
https://www.wral.com/with-rate-shift-folwell-looks-to-upend-health-care-model/17948696/

And so it begins. I've been calling for medical usury laws pegged to Medicare. This is a different way to arrive in the same place.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, mainly which providers opt in and how cost shifting could impact other commercial payers. As a general rule, most policy experts would advocate for a more of a value play vs. a simple discount approach (do providers just make up the difference volume?). The Treasurer has been vocal at his disbelief in value reimbursement methods. He is an interesting character to say the least.

Folwell is essentially trying to upend a model where insured patients subsidize care for the uninsured, a basic element of the U.S. health system.

Maybe we should work towards a system where everyone is required to be covered by decent and affordable insurance. Where the costs are spread reasonably/fairly over the entire population and everybody is assured of decent care as needed. Including long term care and residential hospice care.

From the militarized border thread:

That makes no sense. ACA is far from perfect but it has helped tens of millions of Americans. You can't change 1/7 of the entire economy at once without taking other steps first. Last year we spent over $3.2TRILLION on healthcare.

That one business would the fifth largest national GDP in the world. Do you actually think you could change the entire economy of the UK, France or India in one step?

ACA massively helped our nation. There's still work to do, but to think it impeded progress is simply and wildly mistaken.

I didn't say that you had to change 1/7 of the entire economy in one fell swoop. What's wrong with a bill that lays out a 10-15 year process for reform the health care system? One bill that Lays out the transition to a single payer system, instead of this incremental bill by bill approach that is not actually going to happen.

I agree with you that initially the ACA was a step in the right direction but where we are now is arguably worse than where were 10 years ago. The plan is being systematically dismantled, insurance companies and health care providers and patients have little certainty on what system will be in place this time next year. Yes that is the Republicans fault for sabotaging the law, but the Dems passed this compromise bill that didn't go far enough, was a huge win for the insurance industry and was susceptible to sabotage. One can conclude that the ACA was an impediment to real progress because Dems can walk away claiming that they've done something really useful and out the issue to rest and 10 years later the system still sucks for a lot of people.

I think I understand what you are saying.

But I think I disagree.

No way to know, of course, what would have been the outcome if a bill more aggressive than the ACA had been passed by Obama and Dems.

My guess is it would have been repealed more easily and quickly.

At this point, no effective reform is apparently going to hold unless we can keep Pubs out of power.

They couldn't any more than they got. Yes, it still sucks for some people, but there are millions more that it has helped than it has hurt.

Even as badly as it has been treated by Republicans, if it didn't exist, think of what the insurance companies have gotten away with in the past decade.

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

They couldn't any more than they got. Yes, it still sucks for some people, but there are millions more that it has helped than it has hurt.

Even as badly as it has been treated by Republicans, if it didn't exist, think of what the insurance companies have gotten away with in the past decade.

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

They couldn’t get any more than they got because a segment of the Democratic Party are corporate shills in the pocket of the insurance industry. That is the core fucking problem that MDMH has been griping about, I think.

They couldn’t get any more than they got because a segment of the Democratic Party are corporate shills in the pocket of the insurance industry. That is the core fucking problem that MDMH has been griping about, I think.

Because they didn't have the votes once Ted got sick. They moved the ball a lot. They created a foundation from which other progress can be made. To take it completely away from the useless insurance companies would have been equivalent to changing an economy bigger than that of France in one fell swoop.

The reality is the insurance industry spent something like a quarter of a billion dollars during the ramping up of the vote for ACA and much, much, much more in the eight years since it has passed. If the insurance industry didn't fear the direction ACA is leading, they wouldn't have spent about a BILLION dollars to destroy it.

If not for ACA, Medicare for All would not be as close to being reality today.

A great way to minimize insurance companies would be to offer a Medicare insurance product to everyone. It would 25-35% cheaper than current insurance and provide much more coverage. If this becomes available, insurance companies would be shortly be relegated to providing supplemental insurance as they do in most countries with universal care.

Nah, they’d still be busy creating “advantage” plans—finding ways to administer the benefits.

Nah, they’d still be busy creating “advantage” plans—finding ways to administer the benefits.

Medicare has 2-3% in overhead costs versus 15-18% for insurance companies. They don't private insurance companies to administer anything.

Private insurance also spends about 15% on marketing. This would be basically more savings in the Medicare insurance offering.

9037-figure-1.png

One of the reasons the percentages are growing is ACA subsidies and making them more affordable.

How about this for an idea? If M4A becomes available, instead of taking the full 30+% savings and use to go towards covering advantage/RX programs. It would make M4A the largest pool and lower prices further.

My healthcare for 2019 going from $190/mo to $438/mo. Going to have to drop to a lesser plan for $238/mo.

Back