• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Have you been to Dublin?

You don't need a car. Take the buses.

It's a good time of year for sure. Are you going to be there for September 8, because that apparently is the All-Ireland Hurling Final. Phenomenal experience.

September is a very good time. The weather is still pretty good. All-Ireland hurling is so money, any big Irish sporting event is a blast. They care so much about that kinda stuff. Defs don't need a car. You can walk almost the whole downtown and you can take buses just about anywhere you'd want to go.

Still trying to figure the trip out. We want to see as much of Ireland as possible in 7 days. Would a car not be better for outside of Dublin?

Back in April of 2006, my wife and I rented a car in Dublin (didn't need one in the city, we took a bus around town and out to Trim Castle ), and drove out to Au Daingean (aka the Ring of Dingle... the gaelic term sounds better) in a day I believe. Not sure how much has changed but my two cents...
* We got socked with an extra insurance charge on our car rental. We had started our trip in England and our credit card had enough protection on it there but in Ireland it did not due to the "hazardous roads" or something of that nature. Frankly, they weren't any worse in England than in Ireland.
* Be prepared to drive a stick. I drive one here and the states and wanted one there, but I think their automatic options are limited.
* Be prepared to not necessarily make "good time". Right out outside of Dublin was the most Interstate-y of our driving (i.e. multiple lanes/higher speed limit). Once outside this, it seemed to take forever. I liken it to driving to the beach in NC and only be able to take state roads- passing through every small town. We had already been in England and had seen our fair share of the country side, so the quaintness was wearing off. For you, starting in Dublin, it probably would be pleasant, especially if you have a 7 days. There are probably neat places to stop along the way - we wanted to get to the other coast.
* With driving on the opposite side of the road, it requires much more concentration. We had no serious driving issues but again, the things you take for granted in the states, can't be taken for grant overseas (like making a right on red).

Overall, if I had to do it again, we would rent a car.

Went last summer. Don't need a car in the city. If you rent a car to travel outside the city, you pretty much have to bend over and take whatever insurance the car rental agency gives you. Credit card and/or your regular auto insurance isn't going to give you any coverage at all.

I'd spend about 2 days in Dublin (1 to get over jet lag and a second to do stuff in the city). Then I'd get out and see other parts of the country.

Don't need a car in the city, but you'll need one outside of Dublin. When you do, head southwest through the Wicklow Mountains and then to the Dingle Peninsula, the Cliffs of Moher, and up to Galway. Beautiful trip.

Depending on where else you want to go in Ireland there are options for rail and buses.

Ok, thanks for the heads up on the car rental. I saw you could do the rails but wasn't sure if the car was better or more of a headache.

Definitely get a car if you plan to travel around Ireland. It's pretty easy to tour all day then park the car in the late afternoon and just walk around town and hit up all the pubs.

I had a wonderful experience renting a car and driving around from Dublin, down south, and all the way up to Sligo. I must admit it seemed wierd to be driving on the "wrong side" of the car, and the "wrong side" of the road. Once I got used to it, though, I really enjoyed it. Be prepared to get a 5-speed, and to shift with the "wrong hand"!

I had a wonderful experience renting a car and driving around from Dublin, down south, and all the way up to Sligo. I must admit it seemed wierd to be driving on the "wrong side" of the car, and the "wrong side" of the road. Once I got used to it, though, I really enjoyed it. Be prepared to get a 5-speed, and to shift with the "wrong hand"!

Shifting with the wrong hand and using a different foot for the clutch take awhile to get adjusted to, but I thought the weird angles on the side and rear view mirrors were more problematic. Dunno about Ireland, but the roundabouts in England are pretty much a pain in the ass too.

Had the strangest drinking experience ever in Dublin. Was in a pub on a Saturday afternoon about 20 years ago. About 1:50 PM, the bartender told me they had to close for two hours at 2, but he could sell me pints now to hold me over for that time. I ordered three pints and pretty much everybody else in the pub did the same thing and had drinks stacked in front of them. A few people left, but most hung in there. A couple of people asked me if I was Australian because they couldn't identify my accent.

I am not sure I really "enjoyed" driving. On the motorway (aka the Interstate...), it felt like normal driving.... until you come up to some small town and its roundabout, and having to navigate through it. It was pretty tense at times -having to concentrate on driving that much. In the US most streets and really made for cars, but that was not the case in Ireland.
We were driving back from Dingle, to Dublin, and we passed through this town that had this equestrian show, and it all converged in town square. With no one following any established lanes or driving rules. We could literally reach out both doors and touch the neighboring car. Not fun.

Back