• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

Assuming they aren't acting like total bigot assholes, what's wrong with being tolerant?

Because 90% everything they stand for is bullshit. Im not going to go out and persecute them or anything, but it is hard for me to intellectually respect anyone who is like I am a Mormon belieber and I ride out to the honeycomb hide out till I die out wid dat shit.

Assuming they aren't acting like total bigot assholes, what's wrong with being tolerant?

There's certainly nothing wrong with being tolerant and I myself am extremely tolerant when talking to Mormons (or Scientologists), perhaps a better way of framing it is why are Mormons considered to be more in line with the American religious tradition and considered mainstream while most ostracize Scientologists? I'm not seeking a defense of Scientology either, I'm just legitimately curious.

ETA: Is it because Mormons tie themselves into the Christian tradition which is just more mainstream?

There's certainly nothing wrong with being tolerant and I myself am extremely tolerant when talking to Mormons (or Scientologists), perhaps a better way of framing it is why are Mormons considered to be more in line with the Christian tradition and considered mainstream while most ostracize Scientologists? I'm not seeking a defense of Scientology either, I'm just legitimately curious.

Why does that bother you? Don't you feel similarly about all religions?

I mean I personally do feel that way about all religions, but I understand why people at large doesn't ostracize Christians given that the majority of Americans are Christian. That's not the case with Mormonism though and I'm just wondering why Mormonism isn't treated more like Scientology.

ETA: And it doesn't "bother" me per se, it's just my "unpopular opinion" that even amidst all the religions that I consider crazy, I find Mormonism to be a particular type of craziness.

I mean I personally do feel that way about all religions, but I understand why people at large doesn't ostracize Christians given that the majority of Americans are Christian. That's not the case with Mormonism though and I'm just wondering why Mormonism isn't treated more like Scientology.

ETA: And it doesn't "bother" me per se, it's just my "unpopular opinion" that even amidst all the religions that I consider crazy, I find Mormonism to be a particular type of craziness.

I'm not sure Mormonism is as widely accepted as you think it is.

I will note though that I find it interesting that Mormons are viewed more favorably by Americans than atheists or agnostics. I guess if you hold a belief in any god, it's more appealing to most Americans than to not hold that belief. To your point DF07, Mormons' favorability rating is slightly below 50% (48%).

http://www.pewforum.org/2014/07/16/how-americans-feel-about-religious-groups/

I will note though that I find it interesting that Mormons are viewed more favorably by Americans than atheists or agnostics. I guess if you hold a belief in any god, it's more appealing to most Americans than to not hold that belief. To your point DF07, Mormons' favorability rating is slightly below 50% (48%).

http://www.pewforum.org/2014/07/16/how-americans-feel-about-religious-groups/

You also tend to embody a lot of the same dick butt attitude that Americans don't like about some atheists.

I agree with numbers about mormos being accepted but scientologists not. But I've also spent a lot of time in commielib north.

You also tend to embody a lot of the same dick butt attitude that Americans don't like about some atheists.

Yes I've said multiple times that I think religion is silly and a detriment to society in the year 2014. I think religion is one of the major aspects, if not the major aspect, holding back America from progressing as a society. To hold those beliefs and not attempt to do anything about it would be disingenuous and the bottom line is that it's very difficult to hold rational discourse with a lot of religious people whose beliefs by their own admission are irrational ("leap of faith"). I've apologized in the past and I will apologize again now for coming across in some discussions as exhibiting a "dick butt attitude" but I would rather exhibit that attitude and continue to point out the blatant irrationality of allowing religion to dictate public policy in America in the 21st century than sit idly by and not voice an opinion on it/try to bring about change.

Yes I've said multiple times that I think religion is silly and a detriment to society in the year 2014. I think religion is one of the major aspects, if not the major aspect, holding back America from progressing as a society. To hold those beliefs and not attempt to do anything about it would be disingenuous and the bottom line is that it's very difficult to hold rational discourse with a lot of religious people whose beliefs by their own admission are irrational ("leap of faith"). I've apologized in the past and I will apologize again now for coming across in some discussions as exhibiting a "dick butt attitude" but I would rather exhibit that attitude and continue to point out the blatant irrationality of allowing religion to dictate public policy in America in the 21st century than sit idly by and not voice an opinion on it/try to bring about change.

Then don't get upset that most Americans think of you unfavorably.

I'm not upset in the least, most people polled (since the poll roughly matches America's demographics I'm presuming) are religious. And we both know that acting with a "dick butt attitude" is hardly close to the motivating reason that atheists only have a 41% favorability rating in America while evangelical Christians have a 61% rating.

Knowing numbers, I don't think he cares. He's used to America's cold shoulder: 10/10 people think doof is the more attractive twin.

Besides if "being an asshole" makes you seem more unfavorable than, I don't know, not believing in evolution or allowing public schools to teach safe sex or allowing same-sex marriage I'm really not too concerned about it in the first place.

Back