• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Skiing Utah

Utah mountains (stayed at Alta) are the only place I lost ski time to too much snow! We got hit with six feet of snow overnight, and couldn't leave the lodge the whole next day. Snow cornices needed to be blasted loose, so they didn't cause avalanches. Had one snow slide come very close to our lodge.

Took another day to clear the road back to SLC. SLC is a neat city. Mormon church has best genealogy resources in the world (open to the public). Also, the Mormon Tabernacle choir does concerts in a concert hall outside the temple that are just awesome.

All of the SLC areas are sweet, but Alta is my favorite BY FAR! Solitude is second, Snowbird third, and then Brighton. Not a huge fan of Park City, but I like Deer Valley and The Canyons.
What makes Solitude your second favorite resort? I've never been.

My family used to go skiing in SLC every year. We would rent a condo in the sandy area. We stayed in the same complex every year. It is was right at the mouth of big cotton wood canyon and only 5-10 minutes from little cotton wood canyon where Alta/Snowbird are. It is significantly cheaper to stay in the Sandy area and drive up to the mountains. The roads were generally very clear so a compact wouldn't have an issue getting up. If it snows you can always park at the base of the canyon and take the shuttle up.

There are some really good restaurants in the SLC area so I highly recommend staying in SLC and not up in the mountains. You will also sleep better because you aren't at such a high altitude.

One thing you must, MUST do while in SLC is go to the red iguana. It is a Mexican restaurant that is out of this world. The make like 9 different moles. This is classic maexicna, not tex mex. There always a long line so you want to go early. Even there is a line you need to go, it is well worth the wait. If you want info on the complex we stayed at I can send that to you and a list of some other good restaurants that we always went to.

There are places that prohibit snowboarders?

I'm really jealous. I haven't been skiing/snowboarding in like 3-4 years. My brother is spending NYE with his GF in VT at a cabin one of their friends families owns.

Awesome, great info. If we go I think we'll probably stay in sandy- so much cheaper.

And cav, yes- there are places (though not many anymore) that prohibit boarders.

And cav, yes- there are places (though not many anymore) that prohibit boarders.

Sadly, there's a number still in Europe too (and if they don't outright ban boarders, they make it difficult with things like long traverses they intentionally groom very flat, etc - just so the word gets out it's not boarder friendly). I'm surprised Alta has stayed skiiing only. Seems at this point in the USA it just hurts your potential customer base these days.

Places that ban boarders suck.

Sadly, there's a number still in Europe too (and if they don't outright ban boarders, they make it difficult with things like long traverses they intentionally groom very flat, etc - just so the word gets out it's not boarder friendly). I'm surprised Alta has stayed skiiing only. Seems at this point in the USA it just hurts your potential customer base these days.

Places that ban boarders suck.

exactly; Alta has the fact it's connected to Snowbird going for it. If it was up a separate canyon, I feel like it'd be difficult to get people there for more than a day of their week in SLC (if they're with a group or there as a family, which these days is bound to have at least one boarder in it).

I, for one, love the "skiers only" resorts. Alta and Deer Valley are the only remaining ones in the US.

Solitude I ranked second, because its name says it all. It's a great mountain, gets plenty of snow, and is so uncrowded. I have spent some awesome days skiing there.

And fuck snowboards!

I, for one, love the "skiers only" resorts. Alta and Deer Valley are the only remaining ones in the US.

Solitude I ranked second, because its name says it all. It's a great mountain, gets plenty of snow, and is so uncrowded. I have spent some awesome days skiing there.

And fuck snowboards!

thank you for contributing your opinion to this thread.

side note - I have a package I put together on my chase card rewards site that's ~$1500 for flight, hotel, car, and lift tickets... all that's missing is food costs while we're there. I'm going to track snowfall before we make a decision one way or the other, though. Relatively dry year out here.

he gave some good info in earlier posts, and was asked by another poster why he ranked Solitude #2, and you give him a "thank you for contributing your opinion to this thread" which is typically reserved for trolls. Just surprising coming from you on a thread where you are asking for suggestions/help.

he gave some good info in earlier posts, and was asked by another poster why he ranked Solitude #2, and you give him a "thank you for contributing your opinion to this thread" which is typically reserved for trolls. Just surprising coming from you on a thread where you are asking for suggestions/help.

that was more in response to his 'fuck snowboards' comment :)

Oh, I know. I included the "get off my lawn" picture in my post cussing snowboarders to keep from having the rest of my post completely ignored. :thumbsup:

lbe you should post a review of whatever you do - we're heading out there a year from now also so I'll just bump this guy when the time comes to book it.

And I don't think I'll ever get the snowboarder hate.

lbe you should post a review of whatever you do - we're heading out there a year from now also so I'll just bump this guy when the time comes to book it.

Yeah, will do (if we go this year). The impetus for the trip is the lack of snow here in OR, but it's a pretty dry winter in general... I don't want the first trip to UT to be kind of a bust if they're also having a sub-par year with snowfall.

Old white people.
My snowboard "hate" primarily comes from the early days of snowboarding, when a lot of snowboarders were just learning and going down the mountain sideways, doing the snowboard version of snow-plowing. That generally pushes fresh snow further down the slope, creates icy spots and flattens moguls. That happens a lot less now that snowboarding is more common.
Just having fun. Snowboarders are good people. Have a cousin that started a side snowboard apparel business.

yeah but you get the same with skiers making pizza slices all the way down. And we don't ding the top of your skis with our poles in the lift lines :p

Back