• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Help Me Understand How We've Improved Character

oldmandeac

Reaction score
I've heard the comments about improving the character of Wake Forest basketball as the main mission of Bzzz... my problem is I do not know what needed to be improved. I assume there was some question of the quality of characters of Dino's recruits. Were there issues with Teague, Smith, Johnson, Aminu, as well as Woods? Granted in a day when one super stud or two and certainly three NBA talents can win a national title, Wake had three first round picks and someone who signed as a free agent and couldn't get past the first round, so there were problems.

Woods domestic problems are well documented. But, who else represented the non-character of Wake athletes? We've had a heroin dealer in the past; I can remember many of our star players smoking dope before a game with UNC; I seem to recall one player pulling a knife (perhaps cafeteria in grade) on another during an argument and DUI has taken on a new importance (we use to be able to drink on campus and didn't have to drive)...

Seriously, what were the problems which had to be corrected?

I don't think anyone finds it unrealistic that our '09 team lacked character

I don't think we should be involved in building any character in our sports programs that does not include a healthy portion of "will to win." Consequently, Buzz and Ron are entirely superfluous, indeed counterproductive, for charactere building through sports.

Last edited:
Seriously, what were the problems which had to be corrected?

I think the general consensus has been that Wellman did not want WF to recruit potential one-and-dones and Dino believed that it was necessary to remain competitive.

That seems to be where a lot of the culture stuff was derived.

Coron's presence says a lot about how RW's master plan is working out for him. (and that's nothing against Coron...)

Losing builds character. Bz is doing a fine job in this category.

Coron's presence says a lot about how RW's master plan is working out for him. (and that's nothing against Coron...)

I don't understand this comment. Coron came to Wake as a post-grad transfer. He is in the Master in Liberal Studies program, so just like non-athlete students, he will earn his advanced degree in this program in one year.

I don't understand this comment. Coron came to Wake as a post-grad transfer. He is in the Master in Liberal Studies program, so just like non-athlete students, he will earn his advanced degree in this program in one year.

One and done

He's the only Wake player I can remember who was brought here knowing he'd only play one year.

This entire graduate program is designed to be "one and done." It's a one year program for all students, athletes or not.

Again, its nothing negative about Coron. I think he made a very wise choice.

You don't have to dig to deep to understand why taking a post-grad player in the given set of circumstances is laughable.

Read between the lines.

One of the nation's youngest teams hopes it can take another step forward in its embattled coach's fourth season.
[Redacted] said it's "a results-driven business" and that "we need to win. That's what I get paid to do and that's what we've got to do."

The masochists here will enjoy this bit of the article:

"The road thing has been a problem ever since I've been here, and it's because we've all had young guys," said forward Travis McKie, the only player on the roster who has been with [Redacted] for all four years. "This year we'll be more ready for it, and we're definitely ready to win more road games than we have in the past."

"The road thing has been a problem ever since I've been here, and it's because we've all had young guys," said forward Travis McKie, the only player on the roster who has been with [Redacted] for all four years. "This year we'll be more ready for it, and we're definitely ready to win more road games than we have in the past."

OK. We will win two road games and that would double his current record at Wake...but which two?

I think the general consensus has been that Wellman did not want WF to recruit potential one-and-dones and Dino believed that it was necessary to remain competitive.

Surprised Vidovich hasn't been forced out then. Only coach I know of that's recruited a one and done to Wake. Though I'm sure we've recruited a few zero and dones in baseball.

RW's master plan was not working so he had to find a stop gap for Bz so they found the new deal of the fifth year grad loop hole where it can be said a fifth year guy who has graduated must obviously be a good student & of character, so that kind of one & done doesn't count.

I haven't been to a basketball game in a LONG time, but how are our pre-game lineups? They used to be AMAZING during the Dino era. I recall the lineups being announced to "Fireman" which got the students and athletes pumped [up. I just see that type of "culture" and being against what OWGs (Old White Guys) stand for.

ZOMG we have to stop the rap music!

I haven't been to a basketball game in a LONG time, but how are our pre-game lineups? They used to be AMAZING during the Dino era. I recall the lineups being announced to "Fireman" which got the students and athletes pumped [up. I just see that type of "culture" and being against what OWGs (Old White Guys) stand for.

ZOMG we have to stop the rap music!

Hah. I really like the current intro and video. The song is Higher by Just Blaze and Baauer. Very scary for old white guys.

OK. We will win two road games and that would double his current record at Wake...but which two?

Easy big fella.

Let's not forget, that 1 win came in 2012 against the second worst ACC team of all-time. (BC '12: #264)

While some would argue the semantics since the team beat themselves early and often, WF's 2011 finish of #271 means that Wake literally could not have gotten a win vs. a lower ranked ACC opponent than BC in 2012.

There's a lot to criticize Wellman/bzd for, but it's pretty clear that Coron doesn't fit the one and done they were talking about.

There's a lot to criticize Wellman/bzd for, but it's pretty clear that Coron doesn't fit the one and done they were talking about.

Again, a stop gap measure circumventing the rule, all in trying to save face known as the Bz-RW experiment.

Have not changed character. College kids have always made mistakes and will continue to do so. Only change is that Wellman now allows those mistakes to leak out when it serves his need to blame Dino to prop up Bz. Previously he would keep them quiet to protect the kids and wake like every other big time program. Current students and insiders have said nothing has changed. Kids will be kids and all that.

Back