• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA changes and Nathan Hatch in SI

"And Connecticut AD Warde Manuel cynically suggested the word "revenue" should probably be included among those core values. So at least some people that work in college athletics are just as jaded about the state of college athletics as you are."

Historically butthurt.

"I'm concerned that our first core value isn't 'graduation of our athletes,'" said one faculty athletics representative. Touche.

Oh, they can be <UNC>graduated</UNC>. They just won't be educated.

The farce is beginning to come to an end. Universities pretend to admit, educate, and graduate student athletes as "compensation" for the millions they generate in revenue. Seems to me "the have" conferences (SEC, B1G) want to further compensate their athletes via stipends, and the "have not's" cannot keep up/afford it. (So their vote is to continue exploitation?) So while this is festering behind the scenes, the NCAA has this dog and pony show.

We need a much more honest system.

It's concerning to me that Wake seems to be putting themselves firmly on the wrong side of history with the future of college athletics. Schools need to be running away from the NCAA at this point, it seems wake is hopping in bed with them.

The Southern conference needs to get ready to welcome its newest member Wake Forest.

Last edited:
Yeah. Hatch's statement about paying players will bite him and possibly Wake in the bottom eventually.

SAN DIEGO – The big leagues appear poised to get their way and their own voting bloc within the NCAA.

Polling of the roughly 800 administrators at the NCAA convention's dialog on governance revealed solid support for an autonomous voting body for the five most powerful conferences – the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12. Fifty-eight percent of those administrators – from all levels of NCAA membership – were in support of autonomy for the power conferences; 30 percent were opposed; 12 percent were neutral.

To NCAA president Mark Emmert, that's a significant change in outlook.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-p...g-12-212725211.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

It's concerning to me that Wake seems to be putting themselves firmly on the wrong side of history with the future of college athletics. Schools need to be running away from the NCAA at this point, it seems wake is hopping in bed with them.

The Southern conference needs to get ready to welcome its newest member Wake Forest.

Nonsense.

Yeah. Hatch's statement about paying players will bite him and possibly Wake in the bottom eventually.

Compensating the players is inevitable. They're just trying to get in front of the issue before the court system forces it.

Joe Schad @ schadjoe
Wake Forest Pres Nathan Hatch, Board Chair, told me "the largest conferences have the resources to serve the S-A better." #$tipendtime

Joe Schad @ schadjoe
Wake's Nathan Hatch says allowing big conferences to give student-athletes more $ is simply "Pro-Student."

Joe Schad @ schadjoe
Wake Prez Nathan Hatch, NCAA Chair, says "to whom much is given much is expected" in reference to students who may be poised for more $

We are living through the last days of WF as a major player at the highest level of college sports. We joke about joining the Southern Conference, but that is much closer to our future reality than the current BCS conference landscape.

Joe Schad @ schadjoe
Wake Forest Pres Nathan Hatch, Board Chair, told me "the largest conferences have the resources to serve the S-A better." #$tipendtime

Joe Schad @ schadjoe
Wake's Nathan Hatch says allowing big conferences to give student-athletes more $ is simply "Pro-Student."

Joe Schad @ schadjoe
Wake Prez Nathan Hatch, NCAA Chair, says "to whom much is given much is expected" in reference to students who may be poised for more $

Those statement are a 180 on what he said last year.

Hatch sounds pretty consistent to me.

"Last summer, commissioners of each of the so-called power conferences used their media days to lobby for changes to the way the NCAA does business. Nathan Hatch, the president at Wake Forest, an Atlantic Coast Conference school, and others heard the concerns and insist the debate is not just about giving money to players. They want schools to provide additional resources that will help student-athletes with everything from academics to health.

While some people refer to the concept of stipends as pay-for-play, administrators say the correct term is full cost-of-attendance.

On Thursday night, Hatch said he's generally opposed to paying athletes in marquee sports such as football and basketball. He said it could have damaging effects on other sports, particularly women's sports.

"I think it gives the wrong incentives for why someone should be a student-athlete," he said. "Another issue in our free-market economy, it is the case that generally the star athlete gets paid more. I think that's the kind of direction this would go if in fact we paid athletes. So we'd be recruiting athletes and potentially pay substantial amounts to get stars."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/01/17/6081844/power-conferences-get-autonomy.html#storylink=cpy

Joe Schad @ schadjoe

Joe Schad @ schadjoe

Joe Schad @ schadjoe

Paying student athletes is the only way we'll ever recruit elite students away from larger schools with more resources to offer. Makes perfect sense. Since LOWF isn't going to break the rules, we'll leverage our NCAA connections to change them.

Back