• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

Sold at 0.640. Was hoping for a bigger spike and maybe I sold too early but NBG isn't a long-term play I want to be exposed to.

so from down 1000 recovered to only down 120. wild half day so far

made a decent sized buy this morning of aapl and nflx. debating whether to sell now or hold.

what are you guys doing in advance of the potential interest rate increase in the next few weeks?

So tempted to get out of stocks right now but just hoping for a quick bump. Whats everyones strategy for the short term future?
Hold and wait. But loving all the diversifying I did with LendingClub, right, Phan!?

But I did actually just buy a decent amount of Chipotle. Seems like people will forgive/forget about the E.coli and then you're getting them at a near 40% discount.

i'm still buying in.

“In the short run, the market is a voting machine but in the long run, it is a weighing machine.”
― Benjamin Graham

“The true investor scarcely ever is forced to sell his shares, and at all other times he is free to disregard the current price quotation. He need pay attention to it and act upon it only to the extent that it suits his book, and no more.* Thus the investor who permits himself to be stampeded or unduly worried by unjustified market declines in his holdings is perversely transforming his basic advantage into a basic disadvantage. That man would be better off if his stocks had no market quotation at all, for he would then be spared the mental anguish caused him by other persons’ mistakes of judgment.†”
― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

that isn't to say i do not diversify. i just prefer real estate to holding personal loans on people with personal finance issues.

i'd guess higher, but i don't own any. i am looking in to multi-units that need some work here, but it's more passive than anything. everything is just so high. the only re investment i've made here is a rental property in wine country. it was in awful shape and a short sale. we've put a lot of work in to it, and i think it's looking pretty good now.

i don't think this has been covered here, but feel free to link me and say "haas."

i am looking for a short to medium (6 to 18 months) term investment that would be better than keeping cash. doesn't need to be super liquid (ability to access in 7-10 business days). what are the options? a little weary of buying in to the market right now in that time horizon. would a bond mutual fund make sense? any other ideas?

i don't think this has been covered here, but feel free to link me and say "haas."

i am looking for a short to medium (6 to 18 months) term investment that would be better than keeping cash. doesn't need to be super liquid (ability to access in 7-10 business days). what are the options? a little weary of buying in to the market right now in that time horizon. would a bond mutual fund make sense? any other ideas?

Depending on the amount, I would recommend a credit union rewards checking account where you can get 2-3% interest if you meet certain criteria. For a more aggressive approach, I've been considering opening up a Betterment account to see how that goes - they recommend a 60/40 stock/bond ratio for short-term/"emergency" funds. They're a robo-advisor that charges a fee from 0.15% to 0.35% depending on account size, keeps your account balanced in index ETFs with partial share purchases, does automatic tax-harvesting, etc. It looks intriguing to me but I haven't bitten the bullet yet. No fees to deposit/withdraw funds so your funds are available.

Back