• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top 3 Choices

Lol, I like Archie but these are pretty silly reasons for comparing them. Archie might be the same height as Shaka and wear the same size shoe, but that's not going to help him emulate Shaka's success. His coaching ability might.

They are definitely not the same height, right???

VCU has been #20 and #19 in kenpom the past two years. Unfortunately for Shaka, they've won 2 NCAA tournament games in the past three years.

For a coach that's significantly more attainable at a significantly cheaper price tag, I am all in.

They are definitely not the same height, right???

VCU has been #20 and #19 in kenpom the past two years. Unfortunately for Shaka, they've won 2 NCAA tournament games in the past three years.

For a coach that's significantly more attainable at a significantly cheaper price tag, I am all in.

6y8ube6u.jpg

1. Shaka
2. Miller
3. White
4. Amaker
5. Howland

We ain't getting Marshall, so I'll be very disappointed if our new coach isn't on the above list. First and foremost, we need an ACC level recruiter.

1. Shaka
2. Miller
3. White
4. Amaker
5. Howland

We ain't getting Marshall, so I'll be very disappointed if our new coach isn't on the above list. First and foremost, we need an ACC level recruiter.

This list is spot on.

I do hope Wellman at least gives Miller a call. I think you at least need to give him a chance to wow you, and at the very least you get to pick his brain for ideas.

Not right now.

I don't foresee that changing. The allure of the ACC and Tobacco Road is heading up in a hurry. Tennessee is not the most talent rich area, nor is most of the SEC which has some of the best recruiters in the country now with Donovan, Pearl, and Calipari. The ACC obviously has plenty of stud coaches to compete with for talent, but the geographic footprint from Atlanta to NYC is absolutely stuffed with talent. Not to say that Vandy couldn't end up with a better coach than us at any point, but I don't see any pluses that the have over us. I'm also admittedly very, very biased towards Wake.

I do hope Wellman at least gives Miller a call. I think you at least need to give him a chance to wow you, and at the very least you get to pick his brain for ideas.

It's good that Dayton beat Cuse. It allows us to go after Shaka first without losing any ground with Archie and his people.

I think that which is the better current situation and which is the better job aren't the same thing. UK was a mess after Gillespie, UNC after Doherty, etc. they were still elite jobs.

Do you mean the ones he won 26 games with his first season and won AP National COY honors? Those ones?

He was named head coach 2 months before the season started. He was not the head coach that brought them in. I believe Haywood was the only one that ever contributed much out of that class, anyway.
Gut inherited a final four team. I think guys like Jamison and Carter had more to do with that season than the Frosh, which is the real point. Butthead.

He was named head coach 2 months before the season started. He was not the head coach that brought them in. I believe Haywood was the only one that ever contributed much out of that class, anyway.
Gut inherited a final four team. I think guys like Jamison and Carter had more to do with that season than the Frosh, which is the real point. Butthead.

I'm talking about Doherty dipshit.

I don't foresee that changing. The allure of the ACC and Tobacco Road is heading up in a hurry. Tennessee is not the most talent rich area, nor is most of the SEC which has some of the best recruiters in the country now with Donovan, Pearl, and Calipari. The ACC obviously has plenty of stud coaches to compete with for talent, but the geographic footprint from Atlanta to NYC is absolutely stuffed with talent. Not to say that Vandy couldn't end up with a better coach than us at any point, but I don't see any pluses that the have over us. I'm also admittedly very, very biased towards Wake.

Good points. The SEC is down and so is Vandy. A couple of years ago, you had UK winning the NC and Vandy had several consecutive years of solid teams. I don't recall how many of those teams went to the NCAA, but I know Wake didn't sniff the Tourney since the Cleveland Steamer debacle. Tennessee is not a great bball talent state outside of Memphis and the occasional Middle Tennessee player. That being said, Vandy is a bigger school in a vibrant city and with a good overall athletic program. Slightly easier to hide athletes than at Wake. Certainly the allure of the ACC and Tobacco Road should play heavily in Wake's favor with the right coach. Vandy should be able to recruit kids from Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi who can handle the academics, with the right coach.

Last edited:
Billy Dixon ‏@Billy_S_Dixon 1m
@Archie_Miller will be live on the CBS halftime show here in a bit #DaytonFlyers

If anyone is interested

Good points. The SEC is down and so is Vandy. A couple of years ago, you had UK winning the NC and Vandy had several consecutive years of solid teams. I don't recall how many of those teams went to the NCAA, but I know Wake didn't sniff the Tourney since the Cleveland Steamer debacle. Tennessee is not a great bball talent state outside of Memphis and the occassional Middle Tennessee player. That being said, Vandy is a bigger school in a vibrant city and has a better overall athletic program. Slightly easier to hide athletes than at Wake. Certainly the allure of the ACC and Tobacco Road should play heavily in Wake's favor with the right coach. Vandy should be able to recruit kids from Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi who can handle the academics, with the right coach.

*Wake won a game in the NCAAT the year after the Cleveland Steamer debacle.

Back