• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Mack - Legitimate Target

It would be an interesting split in the fan base if we got Mack.

I think he would be a pretty good hire, with the only slight mark against is that he is from the Prosser tree (not a bad thing, just want a break from it).

With that being said, I think the only reason we are hearing about him is because the AD wants us to hear about him. I would imagine it is a smokescreen---for who is the biggest question to me.

Marshall is more off the table than Shaka, even if there's a 99% chance the Marquette rumors are true. Move on.

I feel like there needs to be a realistic backup plan if Shaka, Howland, and Archie are off the table. Amaker or Mack?

There is a backup plan. If Wellman does not land Shaka, Marshall or Howland, then we put up another WellmanOUT billboard... (We also need to go ahead and line up a plane to fly WellmanOUT banners at all of our home football games.)

#StrattSignal :thumbsup:

This is a joke, right? The sky fell. We've only won 17 ACC games over the last 4 seasons. No post-season. That's worse than anybody predicted 4 years ago. You can't make fun of people for saying the sky was falling. It fell.

I'll stop when the board quits acting like a bunch of lemmings at every made up rumor and troll job. Use some sense with these rumors, it's getting ridiculous.

No there won't be.

Duke--> Internal
Syracuse--> Internal
Louisville--> Richard Pitino or Steve Masiello
Kansas--> Self is 51
Michigan State--> Izzo is 59
Kentucky--> Calipari is 55
UCLA--> Alford is 49
Indiana--> Crean is 47
UNC--> Roy is 63

Hard to know what's going to happen with UNC and Roy, but other than that the best shot at an opening is Indiana, and I just wouldn't count Crean out yet. And that's the least blueblood of the bluebloods. And the boosters apparently want Mike Woodson.

Beyond that, your best shot is Calipari or Self going to the NBA, but those are long odds. I have a really hard time believing Mack thinks an elite job is on its way for him.

Crean is on very thin ice and has been burning bridges at Indiana. He also has a prickly personality. Would not surprise me to see him get canned especially with him losing so many players (4 seniors, 2 transfers, 1 going pro I think). This job will be filled by Brad Stevens

Unless the hire is a [Redacted] type hire, we do not need a split fan base before the new coach has even coached a single game

I'll stop when the board quits acting like a bunch of lemmings at every made up rumor and troll job. Use some sense with these rumors, it's getting ridiculous.

Yeah, board! Stop being ridiculous, you single entity you!

It would be an interesting split in the fan base if we got Mack.

I think he would be a pretty good hire, with the only slight mark against is that he is from the Prosser tree (not a bad thing, just want a break from it).

With that being said, I think the only reason we are hearing about him is because the AD wants us to hear about him. I would imagine it is a smokescreen---for who is the biggest question to me.

Exactly so. But the X connection has not been unkind to Wake when you look at the wins and losses and the #1 rankings. Mack is capable but I don't think he's where we need to go. He is a good coach and I hope he does well at X.

Yeah, board! Stop being ridiculous, you single entity you!

Pardon me for using a generalization. Would you prefer an extensive list of usernames? Or should I just cut and paste from the Shaka thread, the Howland thread, the Coaching Search thread and the Lembo thread?

Brad Stevens isn't going to go through all the losing in Boston without hanging around for the payoff, when they finally get some talent there.

Pardon me for using a generalization. Would you prefer an extensive list of usernames? Or should I just cut and paste from the Shaka thread, the Howland thread, the Coaching Search thread and the Lembo thread?

Just being a grammatical smartass.

It's a coaching search, and a basketball one at that. I hear you on getting frustrated at the ridiculous peaks and valleys posters are going through, but fighting it seems like pissing in the wind, don't the think? This is how the Internet works, and especially how college sports message boards work.

Also, if it does turn out to be Mack, the AD did him a HUGE disservice by not leaking his name earlier. Mack v. Russ Turner and the artist formerly known as [Redacted]? We're excited. Mack v. Shaka and Howland? UHHHHHHHHHH

Last edited:
There wasn't much excitement for Mack over the last few months. There's even less after Buzz to VT for good reason.

It's a coaching search, and a basketball one at that. I hear you on getting frustrated at the ridiculous peaks and valleys posters are going through, but fighting it seems like pissing in the wind, don't the think? This is how the Internet works, and especially how college sports message boards work.

I agree with you to some extent. While it's the nature of the internet and especially message boards to run on rumors, the whole sky is falling and subsequent gnashing of teeth at everything posted no matter how absurd makes it had to read. A little common sense and critical thinking would go a long way.

Last edited:
There wasn't much excitement for Mack over the last few months. There's even less after Buzz to VT for good reason.

Exactly so. Buzz to VT was a game changer. It had to give Wellman a moment of pause. At least, I'd like to think that.

This. I didn't realize that the OGPD was so well-staffed.

I agree with you to some extent. While it's the nature of the internet and especially message boards to run on rumors, the whole sky is falling and subsequent gnashing of teeth at everything posted no matter how absurd makes it had to read. A little common sense and critical thinking would go a long way.

Or maybe you could check journalnow.com every morning and GTFO instead of bending the nature of the Internet to meet your will.

There is a backup plan. If Wellman does not land Shaka, Marshall or Howland, then we put up another WellmanOUT billboard... (We also need to go ahead and line up a plane to fly WellmanOUT banners at all of our home football games.)

#StrattSignal :thumbsup:

This is ridiculous. Let's just see who we get (and give that hire a chance) before we go there.

Or maybe you could check journalnow.com every morning and GTFO instead of bending the nature of the Internet to meet your will.

It's the internet. I can call people out for wetting their pants at every Wellman looked constipated at Graylyn Conference Center rumor if I like.

Back