• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Mack - Legitimate Target

Yeah, I personally think Mack would do well and would be a really safe bet to bring us back to respectability. I think he's lacking a bit in the upside department, but I'd prefer him to Howland or Amaker.

Sean Miller and Tony Bennett are doing alright with that defense.

Just because you run a zone doesn't mean you can compare yourself to Syracuse. Xavier 248, 268, 324, 273 in 3PA% against last 4 seasons. Most good pack lines will run at 3 pt shooters, yeah?

I mean Mack is fine. We could do way worse. I just don't see much chance he is ever a top national coach.

I'm troubled by how Xavier looks like it's more or less gotten steadily worse since Mack too over. I mean I get that he followed in the footsteps of Sean Miller and that's probably unrealistic to have expected him to keep that pace up, but I'm not super enthused by Mack's trajectory.

They're projected to be really good next year and he is recruiting very well there.

Not a top tier hire, but surprised at the board rage at the notion.

They're projected to be really good next year and he is recruiting very well there.

They're only losing one guy out of their rotation and bringing in a top-20 class.

Could be off, but seems like many just want a fresh start (myself included.) I'd be wary of Bones McKinney IV.

Mack is clearly down the list a bit. But if he's our floor, I'll take it.

Well.. he's at least better than Russell Turner

On another note, how good is Xavier at identifying bomb ass coaches?

I'm troubled by how Xavier looks like it's more or less gotten steadily worse since Mack too over. I mean I get that he followed in the footsteps of Sean Miller and that's probably unrealistic to have expected him to keep that pace up, but I'm not super enthused by Mack's trajectory.

Every program is going to have peak periods. Is it realistic that Xavier is going to be in the Sweet 16 or better every year?

All I'm saying is if he does slightly better at Wake than what he has built at X it would be a good hire.

He's not an elite coach but he'd get us back in the mix. And he has a really high floor as well IMO.

Last edited:
Every program is going to have peak periods. Is it realistic that Xavier is going to be in the Sweet 16 or better every year?

It's more the regular season totals, particularly his in-conference records, that bother me. Again I don't *hate* the idea of Chris Mack -- I'd certainly prefer him over any of the numerous DONKer McDONKersons that Wellman could target instead -- but he'd be quite a step down from Smart, Howland, etc. (at least in my book).

Just read the X board. I can't believe Wake Forest - fucking Wake Forest - is being called "nowhere's land," "a little better than Virginia Tech," etc...

Has anyone ever been more derelict in his job responsibilities than Ron Wellman? Sure, we're chronic underachievers...but for decades we were a top job. In four years, Ron Wellman has destroyed not just our basketball program, but all the good work done by people like Dave Odom and Skip Prosser. I'm so fucking pissed off right now. It's one thing to read that a coach you want isn't interested, but it's another when mouth breathers from around the country are mocking us. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Back