• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

From Country Dan; Wellman Says Search Going Well

He's basically hedging and saying that he needs time to be able to interview someone who is still coaching in the NCAA Tourney (Miller?)

If Smart says yes, we announce it immediately. If he doesn't, we need time to keep looking at candidates.

Ron Wellman, the director of athletics who is leading the search, said Thursday that no announcement will be made over the next several days.

BACK TO WORK

He's basically hedging and saying that he needs time to be able to interview someone who is still coaching in the NCAA Tourney (Miller?)

If Smart says yes, we announce it immediately. If he doesn't, we need time to keep looking at candidates.

Right. AD speak.

“It just depends on the availability of the candidates,” Wellman said. “It’s their time schedule more than our time schedule.”

One target must be someone still in the tournament...

Says absolutely nothing, other than we can all get on with our life until next week. At which point we will all be hopelessly clued to these boards once again.

Agreed. Assuming it is officially official that we've offered Smart. :cool:

yes, that meant nothing. This motherfucker will say anything, nothing is to be trusted. He could come out tomorrow with an announcement of a coach, and then when asked why he said what he said to Dan today, he'll start his fucking tapdance again.

Do not read anything into Ron Wellman quotes. jackwagon

All the information from that article could have been condensed into a tweet.

Compare this to Whit Babcock's search. Identified his top target, met with Buzz on Thurs evening and they stayed up til the early hours talking. Had the deal done by Friday morning. Whe asked about the hiring process he says "My style is I like to hit a home run pretty early".

Compare that with Wellman. "There's lot of great coaches out there."

Why is it that every time Wellman opens his mouth, I get pissed off?

You're not alone. Honestly, I think I would be happier if Wellman was sent packing than I am over this hire. Because I believe a great hire and Ron are mutually exclusive.

2cgy6ps.jpg

Mine your vast network of sources cultivated over 20 years covering Wake sports and find out specifics Dan

What do you want him to say? He has to hedge at this point. Do you want a Marquette fiasco?

Shaka Smart has it in his contract that he can not leave before April or he owes the school $600,000! This makes me hopeful that it is Shaka!!

“It just depends on the availability of the candidates,” Wellman said. “It’s their time schedule more than our time schedule.”

Back