• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning as our new HC. How excited would you be?

On a scale from 1 to 10...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The truth is never an easy thing to swallow when it differs from your hopes & dreams. You just haven't been around long enough to understand the situation. You're part of this new breed of WF poeople who are used to getting whatever they want...and think that just because they want WF basketball to compete right there with Duke & UNC, someone will make it happen for them...just like with everything else in their lives. Well, it doesn't work that way in this situation. Eventually, that will dawn upon you.

Or maybe the amalgamation of us growing up watching Wake enjoying better than average success on the court combined with us #winning in real life has led us to be optimistic and non-complacent, rather than being a bitter, broken old man sitting on a frayed couch in rural North Carolina farting into his adult diaper.

Looks like the majority of voters were pretty much in the "meh" category.

Yeah, I'd put Manning above Brownell and Gregory. Gregory was a proven loser and Brownell was pretty low upside. Manning is clearly the most volatile, though. That year wasn't an exciting one for young and upcoming coaches -- you had Stevens and then Groce, and the latter only had two years of experience, and then a bunch of meh. This year seemed way better until the Masiello incident and Miller and White decided they weren't ready to jump. #ManUp

I think this is a perfectly fair take at the time, but.... even though Brownell is the definition of mediocre, he has still clearly been vastly superior to Manning.

Remember when we could find 263 that gave enough of a shit to vote in a poll?

3-4, I'd support him and give him the benefit of the doubt for a few years. Agree that he has a chance to be good but he also has a chance to be bad as well.

But Wellman would buy no leeway with this hire and deserves any and all criticism. Furthermore, he should retire now since he's clearly hurting WF.
Woo, I really went out on the limb with that one. "He might be good but he might be bad as well."

Somehow I managed to over-rank the hire with a 3 rating.

At least I had the second paragraph right.

Feeling pretty good about my vote for 1.

I think this is a perfectly fair take at the time, but.... even though Brownell is the definition of mediocre, he has still clearly been vastly superior to Manning.

Yeah, I gave it a 3 at the time but still thought he'd prove to be better than Brownell and Gregory. Turns out Manning and Gregory were about on par with each other.

While most of us were a bit meh with the hire, I think a lot of that at the time had to do with Wellman's rollout of Manning, which was about on par with the ACA rollout around the same time. I still had hope at that time that Manning would prove to be a decent coach. Well, until I watched his teams play defense. Ugh.

Pissed that I missed this. I remember thinking it was a decent hire, but I don't know if it was 9-10 decent or 7-8 decent.

I voted a 2. I don't remember why I didn't give a 1 because I hated the hire. Maybe it was because I incorrectly thought that anyone was better than Bz and that warranted at 2.

It's pretty telling that well over 50% voted 5 or lower. And I'm sure most would look back and admit their votes were inflated coming of the bzaster. What a shitty hire.

Back