• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do current recruits know who Danny Manning is?

Manning left Kansas before I was born. I've heard of the Cinderella story around March Madness, but didn't necessarily connect it to Danny Manning even though I think I'd definitely heard of "Danny and the Miracles."

The Larry Brown/Bobcats connection was the reason I definitely knew I had heard of Manning.

This is simple. Sadly, most younger people don't care about history anymore, sports or otherwise. Anyone who professes to be a basketball junkie should know basketball history. Not knowing Manning just shows indifference to learning about the past. George Mikan retired before I was born but I still know his story.

This is silly. Do you think recruits knew who Billy Donovan the player was when he was first hired?

This is silly. Do you think recruits knew who Billy Donovan the player was when he was first hired?

You can't equate Billy Donovan with Manning. I don't expect recruits to know either of them. I do expect someone who says they follow college basketball religiously to know a bit more than recruits.

Manning has his foot in the door not because the high school players know who he is from his college days but that the parents and coaches (high school and AAU) know who he is.

Once Manning does with his foot in the door will depend on his coaching/recruiting abilities and that of his assistant coaches. Still nice to have a foot in the door - a huge head start.

So was Manning a lead recruiter for Kansas or not? I've heard that he wasn't but it's hard to believe a former NBA wouldn't be.

So was Manning a lead recruiter for Kansas or not? I've heard that he wasn't but it's hard to believe a former NBA wouldn't be.

Definitely not. Townsend was west coast/Seattle, Dooley was east coast/Florida , Roberts was northeast, manning was more Midwest/big man, which left for far fewer opportunities, to be fair.

But I also think that demonstrates the importance of assistants who can recruit. Hopefully, he can get some aces on his staff, given the connections.

So if Bill Self didn't think Manning would give his staff a recruiting edge, why should we?

He has advantages on paper but I trust Self's judgement.

You can't equate Billy Donovan with Manning. I don't expect recruits to know either of them. I do expect someone who says they follow college basketball religiously to know a bit more than recruits.

The point is it doesn't matter. Donovan did just fine with less name recognition, so Manning doesn't really need it if he's a good coach.

So if Bill Self didn't think Manning would give his staff a recruiting edge, why should we?

On self's staff, I think his purpose was more instructive.

That doesn't mean his connections and name won't translate to better recruiting though. He definitely needs to have a dynamite recruiter on his staff.

The takeaway is that we need to purge ourselves of [name redacted]-era habits of justifying or obfuscating weakness and just own up to the fact that the guys recruiting rep is pretty weak for the ACC.

It's not the end of the world, but it's a fact. We can dance and speculate around how these fairly solid facts might be wrong, but at the end of the day they're probably not.

I hope that Manning knows this about himself and keeps it in mind as he chooses his staff.

So we're going to see Manning do what Buzz Williams did, right? We expect to see Manning sitting with Greg Gumbel & co selling WF all day tomorrow or am I being an Idiot?

I don't think it's that important if recruits know everything about manning.

What matters is: can he sell his personal experience and why he can help recruits succeed in college and get a good shot at the next level.

A nearly 7 foot man walking in into an arena, living room etc attracts attention. As long as he can relate to a younger player, he will have a big recruiting advantage. They can learn about him if he impresses early.

So you are claiming Self have a stronger recruiter less responsibilities.

Take Strickland's advice and accept that Manning will need to grow into the position and do it quickly.

This isn't a bash thread. He's our guy and we should all back him. But I've seen several folks say that Manning's name as a big NBA star will help recruiting. Manning retired from the NBA in 2003 or close thereto. Our current recruits are 17, so born in 1996 and 1997? Basically they were 6 or 7 years old when Manning went to be a manager (and subsequent assistant at Kansas). I'm just saying there's no name recognition here right? Of course they can google him and find out he was a stud but these kids probably don't know any NBA names that weren't playing in 2007 of later.

There parents will remember

I don't think this is the point at all.

1) Recruits aren't going to be a "pyscho fan" of Manning
2) They weren't able to listen to him play on the radio when he was pretty famous because current recruits were born in 1998 or 1999.
3) Nobody is saying recruits need to know who the coach is when they're ten are they?

And it will take them 30-90 seconds to learn all about him.

So you are claiming Self have a stronger recruiter less responsibilities.

Take Strickland's advice and accept that Manning will need to grow into the position and do it quickly.

I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about with your first sentence, or is it a question.

I do, however, know what Self has to say about Danny Manning. "Who wouldn't want their son to be mentored by a guy who has everything you want your son to be?"

That doesn't sound like Bill Self viewed him as not providing a recruiting edge, does it?

Back