• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about Nashville

leftcoastdeac

Robert O'Kelley
Reaction score
Spending the weekend in Nashville with the wife. We're staying downtown and will have a car.

What should we do/see?
Where should we eat?

Other recommendations?

Princes hot chicken. Just don't get the hottest if you want to venture more than 50 yards from a toilet the next day.

Pagin Ellis........

Actaully I spent some time in Nashville myself man and it is an awesome town. As far as restuarants go I suggest that you and the wife hit up the Whiskey Kitchen on 12th street for dinner one night and then head down to the strip on Broadway to go out afterwards. The kitchen has a fantastic selection of bourbons, and you get an enormous Makers for like $5. Plus they have pretty awesome upscale bar food if y'all are down for that kind of thing.

pancake pantry is super touristy but a good breakfast. if you don't feel like waiting in line there is a place across the street (forget the name) that has an awesome breakfast

I like Monell's because they serve family style southern cooking and fried chicken w/ breakfast.

Prince's is king howevah.

Don't miss Tootsie's

I like Monell's because they serve family style southern cooking and fried chicken w/ breakfast.
Prince's is king howevah.

Don't miss Tootsie's

Ate here when I was in Nashville a couple weeks ago - FANTASTIC breakfast.

Prince's is awesome. JDawg and I got the hot stuff and it was quite an experience. We did have to wait for a long time though. Also heard good things about Monell's but never managed to make it there on either of my visits.

Just went to Nashville a couple weeks ago. It was awesome. Go out on Broadway and get yo drink on.

Also, not southern food, but Noshville deli is great.

I'll echo almost all of these. The only one I'll send a red flag on is the Pancake Pantry. I've had some killer breakfasts there, but they recently got a sub-60 score on their metro health inspection, so buyer beware.

Trendy hotspots include the aforementioned Whiskey Kitchen and one of its sister restaurants, Virago (upscale sushi), located on 12th Avenue South between Broadway and Demonbeun. Another related (same owner) upscale steakhouse called Kayne Prime has now opened just a block down the side street between those two places.

Other hotspots include The Gulch, which is just further south on 12th Ave (restaurants include upscale Mex in Cantina Laredo, flatbreads and cocktails at Urban Flats, and jazz bar/restaurant Sambuca). Midtown is bar/sports bar central - Red Door, Loser's and its counterpart, Winner's, Broadway Brewhouse, Tavern (a little more upscale - same owner as Virago/WK/etc).

As for downtown on Lower Broadway, don't miss the Legends/Tootsies/Robert's trifecta of honky tonks; take a tour during the day of the Ryman Auditorium or even the Country Music Hall of Fame (a block over on Demonbreun). As for eats, there are sports bars, but I'd recommend The Palm or Merchants.

Lastly - if you're looking for non-honky-tonk music @ night, check who's playing at Exit/In (near Vandy), 12th & Porter (just north of Broadway on 12th Ave), Mercy Lounge (off 8th Ave South), and for great bluegrass, Station Inn (in The Gulch area).

Hope that helps. Any questions feel free to send a PM.

I'll echo almost all of these. The only one I'll send a red flag on is the Pancake Pantry. I've had some killer breakfasts there, but they recently got a sub-60 score on their metro health inspection, so buyer beware.

Trendy hotspots include the aforementioned Whiskey Kitchen and one of its sister restaurants, Virago (upscale sushi), located on 12th Avenue South between Broadway and Demonbeun. Another related (same owner) upscale steakhouse called Kayne Prime has now opened just a block down the side street between those two places.

Other hotspots include The Gulch, which is just further south on 12th Ave (restaurants include upscale Mex in Cantina Laredo, flatbreads and cocktails at Urban Flats, and jazz bar/restaurant Sambuca). Midtown is bar/sports bar central - Red Door, Loser's and its counterpart, Winner's, Broadway Brewhouse, Tavern (a little more upscale - same owner as Virago/WK/etc).

As for downtown on Lower Broadway, don't miss the Legends/Tootsies/Robert's trifecta of honky tonks; take a tour during the day of the Ryman Auditorium or even the Country Music Hall of Fame (a block over on Demonbreun). As for eats, there are sports bars, but I'd recommend The Palm or Merchants.

Lastly - if you're looking for non-honky-tonk music @ night, check who's playing at Exit/In (near Vandy), 12th & Porter (just north of Broadway on 12th Ave), Mercy Lounge (off 8th Ave South), and for great bluegrass, Station Inn (in The Gulch area).

Hope that helps. Any questions feel free to send a PM.

Virago is really great. Haven't been to Kayne Prime yet (just opened). Although the Gulch is a neat place to be, I can't recommend Cantina Laredo or Urban Flats - they are just too expensive for what they are (mediocre). The venue recs are good - Exit/In and Mercy Lounge/Cannery Ballroom are fun places to take in a show; also look at Bluebird Cafe for songwriters performing their stuff.

And although I've never done it, I hear the "Nash Trash" tours are alot of fun. Probably touristy, but I hear they are just great.

Tootsie's is awesome but is an enormous tourist trap. Make sure to stop by before 10:30 because after that it becomes some slammed that if you can even get in you will not be able to move around at all. To the point that you'll want to leave.

Therefore I suggest going to Tootsie's first and then going to Robert's Western World which is like three doors down. Robert's is my jam.

Lets be honest: you can't go wrong on lower Broadway on any night after like 9:30pm. There will be 20 bars with bands playing, clubs, restaurants, etc. If you're not a native, its a very fun place to be.

West End/Demunbreun/Gulch is more for locals, and are very fun, too.

Back