• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Arnie

What an awesome series. Learned a lot about a great man. Proud he's a Deac.

I had no idea until this series how business savvy he is. He's got hands in so many different business ventures, and he's quite the philanthropist. Just an all around great guy.

Great documentary. He is no doubt The King. Same great anecdotes in Part 3: 1)owning Roger Maris at that awards ceremony. 2) President Eisenhower coming to his house for his birthday.

I had no idea until this series how business savvy he is. He's got hands in so many different business ventures, and he's quite the philanthropist. Just an all around great guy.

A lot of people think Mark McCormack and IMG made Arnie the multimillionaire he became but really Arnie make Mark McCormack and IMG into what they became.

"Wake Forest will NEVER have a better representative. Never."

CP3 is trying. I would love it if CP pulled an Emmitt Smith and came back and got his degree at Wake. But why would he...Emmitt did it because he made a promise to his mother as I remember, and Wake classes, even the easier ones, are way harder than UF.

Duncan has always been a disappointment as an alum, but wasn't there some friction with Odom leaving? Or is it just Tim being Tim?

Remember Arnie never completed his degree. He came back, but never finished. Down the road, he was given an honorary degree though.

I've always heard that Tim was salty over the end of the Odom tenure, but he's never really been the open and outgoing type. Odom has come back and seems to be a pretty big player behind the scenes now, so whatever animosity Tim had, if he ever had any, should be diminished. Obviously Odom's not still upset over it.

Duncan has always been a disappointment as an alum, but wasn't there some friction with Odom leaving? Or is it just Tim being Tim?

Where did they hand out the rules of behavior for alumni? I didn't get one. Guy could've been a lottery pick 3 straight years but stays and gets his degree. And a psych degree at that. Won MVPs, 4 championships, countless other accolades, community services, and has never been involved in anything criminal or been a poor teammate or sportsman. Yeah, what a disappointment...

Where did they hand out the rules of behavior for alumni? I didn't get one. Guy could've been a lottery pick 3 straight years but stays and gets his degree. And a psych degree at that. Won MVPs, 4 championships, countless other accolades, community services, and has never been involved in anything criminal or been a poor teammate or sportsman. Yeah, what a disappointment...
Seriously. I follow the Deacs in football and in basketball. I buy gear from time to time and proudly declare my love for the school to all who listen. But I have never given one red cent to WFU and probably won't til I am old and grey. Where do I rank on this scale of good alum to disappointing alum?

Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward of all time. He's 38 (or 39?) and just dropped 27 points in game one round one of the playoffs. He went to our school and anyone who follows basketball knows this. What is he supposed to do? Scream, "DEMON DEAC!" everytime he makes a bucket?

What is he supposed to do?

Apparently come back as much as someone who grew up and has family in Winston-Salem.

Tim is 37. Not sure what Palmer was doing for Wake when he was 37 other than kicking ass in his profession and being an all-around great guy. That should be enough in anyone's book.

I like Tim, got to watch him my first two years at Wake and even conversed with him from time to time at baseball games at the old stadium (he liked to talk baseball...anyone who brought up basketball was ignored).

My comment was related to his interaction with Wake after graduation, not his personal achievements, which are incredible. I've never seen much press about him coming back around MSD...others have mentioned the same observation.

Edited to note good points about Arnie not getting a degree and the fact that he probably wasn't hanging around the Wake campus for fundraising or whatever at 37. But that was also a different era. Even adjusted for inflation the school and athletic departments were far simpler and leaner decades ago, and didn't have near the need for funds they do now. Prominent alums are more critical than ever.

Last edited:
Not sure how or why you'd hold "not seeing much press about Tim coming back around MSD..." against him. I had a class with him (I was one of those dumbass seniors who waited until year 4 to take Calculus) and talked with him all the time, certainly not that he'd ever recall. He does have a rather taxing full-time job, has never been very extroverted, has always shied away from the spotlight and attention, and is just basically his own man. I have no idea what Tim has or hasn't done regarding Wake. And I'm cool with that and with him being him. I get what you're saying but I have just never thought Tim owed us anything other than just being himself.

Back