• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good news for the women's bball team.

89DeaconMike

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...ting-ariel-atkins-no-3-prospects-trade-places

50: Wake Forest signee Amber Campbell leaps from No. 61 to 50 after a spectacular final chapter to her high school career. As a senior, the 5-8 shooting guard passed the 4,000-point mark for Northwood Academy (S.C.). And, in her final game in the South Carolina Independent Schools Association AAA state championship, Campbell scored 33 points in a spotlight showdown against Heathwood Hall and No. 1 prospect A'ja Wilson.

A'ja Wilson picked the gamecocks today over the tarheels so that is more good news for the deacs since she sounds like a superstar

Women's team has a lot of good players coming in.

Not to mention it's Hamby vs. DeShields for ACC POY in all likelihood. Should be a fun year.

Not to mention it's Hamby vs. DeShields for ACC POY in all likelihood. Should be a fun year.

Coach Hoover is definitely building something. Petersen left a good foundation, but I think she can get us over the hump.

DeShields apparently transferring from UNC.... great news for the rest of the league and Hamby.

I vaguely remember a men's ROY transferring back in the 90s, maybe from Tech. Could have been after his sophomore year though. Am I missing some from the men's side? Have any women's ACC ROYs transferred right after getting the award?

DeShields apparently transferring from UNC.... great news for the rest of the league and Hamby.

UNC coach Hatchell seems baffled by the announcement:

"I do not know or understand why Diamond DeShields has decided to leave The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill," said head basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell in a statement Thursday. "It breaks my heart that I will not have the opportunity to coach Diamond and help develop her on and off the court. I love her and wish her well."

DeShields latest tweet:

There's no price on your peace. Do what u have to do to get it.

I vaguely remember a men's ROY transferring back in the 90s, maybe from Tech. Could have been after his sophomore year though. Am I missing some from the men's side? Have any women's ACC ROYs transferred right after getting the award?

Ed Nelson went to UCONN after a year or two at GT I think

Could the women's team actually have a better season than the men?

Ed Nelson went to UCONN after a year or two at GT I think

Good call. Pos rep. Hadn't thought about Ed Nelson in years. He left after his sophomore year.

He actually wasn't the guy I was thinking of though. It was 1993 ROY Martice Moore. He left for Colorado after his sophomore year.

When was the last time we had a good team?(meaning top four in the conference)

Love what Coach Hoover is doing. Girls seem to like playing for her and she is bringing in stud recruits. I'm dumbfounded about DeShields. Honestly that's too bad. I actually enjoyed watching her play in person.

Good call. Pos rep. Hadn't thought about Ed Nelson in years. He left after his sophomore year.

He actually wasn't the guy I was thinking of though. It was 1993 ROY Martice Moore. He left for Colorado after his sophomore year.

Had to google it, but upon seeing it, I do remember thinking it odd that he won a championship against his former team in '04

Had to google it, but upon seeing it, I do remember thinking it odd that he won a championship against his former team in '04

Yep. That was probably the last time I thought about Ed Nelson.

Coach Hoover is definitely building something. Petersen left a good foundation, but I think she can get us over the hump.

What is the ceiling (hump) for the women's program? NCAA bid every couple of years?

Realize that given the lack of any historical success that just making the tournament would be nice, but what is the reasonable expectation for that program?

Why can't our women's basketball team be as good as any other ACC team?

1989? Maybe a year under Curtis, but I doubt it.

She may have been as bad as Bz.

What is the ceiling (hump) for the women's program? NCAA bid every couple of years?

Realize that given the lack of any historical success that just making the tournament would be nice, but what is the reasonable expectation for that program?

Regular (ie at least once every 4 years) NCAA bids should be perfectly reasonable. We have the same number of scholarships as everyone else.

Back