• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jack Mccloskey

My favorite memory of Jack McCloskey was when he kicked a hole in the scorers table during the first round of the 1970 ACCT ... without drawing a T. The rest of the tournament as the camera panned up and down the court the hole was there for God and country to see ... they didnt even fix the hole!

Seems like Dickie Walker had some pretty good numbers for a 6-3 forward. Anybody remember what his averages were?

Player Yr Cl Min MPG FGM FGA FG% 3M 3A 3FG% FTM FTA FT% PPG
------------------ -- -- ---- ---- --- ---- ---- --- --- ---- --- --- ---- ----
Walker, Dickie 68 So - - 173 403 .429 - - - 101 154 .656 17.2
Walker, Dickie 69 Jr - - 130 237 .549 - - - 83 109 .761 12.7
Walker, Dickie 70 Sr - - 149 296 .503 - - - 113 152 .743 15.2
Walker, Dickie 3 - - 452 936 .483 - - - 297 415 .716 15.0

Yep, I'd take that now. Over 50% from the floor as a junior and senior, that was some real good shooting. Dickie grabbed a few rebounds, too.

Player G GS Off Tot RPG Ast APG TOs A:TO Blk Stl PFs
------------------ --- --- --- ---- ---- --- --- --- ---- --- --- ---
Walker, Dickie 26 - - 162 6.2 - - - - - - 88
Walker, Dickie 27 - - 147 5.4 - - - - - - 78
Walker, Dickie 27 - - 155 5.7 - - - - - - 77
Walker, Dickie 80 - - 464 5.8 - - - - - - 243

5.8 RPG.....not bad for a guard! (Though he always seemed taller than 6'3" to me.)

Thanks BKF. What were the stats for a 6-4 WFU forward, who was a hero of mine while playing in 3 consecutive ACC Championship Games, who I later got to know and became friends with, Frank Christie?

Anyone remember Nick Orenzek (sp?), Sam Jackson. or Willie Griffin? Didn't they play for both McCloskey and Tacy?

Otis Orenszak. (sp). I think he ended up marrying Dr. Pritchard's daughter Lorna.

Loved Frank Christie. I have 17 entries in my diary that mention Frank Christie....including, sadly, this one:

NOV 15 - 1992 Bill Elliott won 1992 season-ending race @Atlanta; Alan Kulwicki won Title; Richard Petty's last race; Jeff Gordon's 1st; Frank Christie died @50

Here are his stats from Charlkie board's site:

Player Yr Cl Min MPG FGM FGA FG% 3M 3A 3FG% FTM FTA FT% PPG
Christie, Frank 62 So - - 86 210 .410 - - - 52 77 .675 7.2
Christie, Frank 63 Jr - - 142 315 .451 - - - 58 90 .644 13.2
Christie, Frank 64 Sr - - 178 356 .500 - - - 78 115 .678 16.1
Christie, Frank 3 - - 406 881 .461 - - - 188 282 .667 11.9

Player G GS Off Tot RPG Ast APG TOs A:TO Blk Stl PFs
Christie, Frank 31 - - 159 5.1 - - - - - - 75
Christie, Frank 26 - - 187 7.2 - - - - - - 59
Christie, Frank 27 - - 254 9.4 - - - - - - 72
Christie, Frank 84 - - 600 7.1 - - - - - - 206

16.1 and 9.4 his senior season as a 6-4 forward in the ACC! What a competitor! Frank's gravesite is marked by a black and gold headstone , with a Deacon on it.

Was a member of the freshman team with several of those guys: good guys, good players.
Scholarship guys; Christie, Hassell, Lehman, Carmichael, Brooks, Edgeton (golf).
- They helped continue a great run of Wake basketball (5 straight ACC title games). Lehman (highest rated) didn't make it to soph year (Campbell - pro).
Too bad Bones didn't keep it going a bit longer.

Willie and Sam Jackson could fill it up

Willie was known as 'Super Sub' at W-S's Atkins High where he came off the bench and ignited the offense. The Camel's had an undefeated season, capped by winning the NC State Championship. Pretty sure all of the first 6 players went on to play college ball.

My brother was the Freshman FB team manager and one of the few perks was to eat at the 'training table'. He told me this scenario: Todman came in highly recruited. He sat down at a table close to my brother,
John, realized he didn't have silverware(?) and said to Gilbert McGregor something to the effect..'Hey Gil, I forgot to get my silverware. Can you get me some'? My brother said Gil never looked up from his plate (head buried in it) and replied: You've got two arms and two legs...go get it yourself.

Willie and Sam Jackson could fill it up

The year that Willie and Sam were the leading scorers, the team was pretty bad. Can remember going to Greensboro for the Big 4 Tournament, and coming away thinking that 1 team had no business being in the same arena with the other 3. Believe that year finished McCloskey off, as WFU coach.

I also remember going to Greensboro to watch Davidson-WFU in what was a big non-conference game, then. And if I remember correctly, Davidson was usually the favorie, and usually won. Jerry Montgomery was a pretty good player, but 1 thing I remember about him was how often he got called for the offensive foul, before flopping was even invented.

Davidson was a top 10 team much of the time in those days. Lefty Driesell was riding high down there, before he moved on to Maryland. We had our moments, though. We upset them twice during my sophomore year (1965-66). The first win was at Davidson in the season-opening game. We were down 86-81 with only a minute left in the game and came back to win 87-86. Va Tech transfer Paul Long scored 34 points in his first game at WF, and Bob Leonard scored 33 points. (Think we were a guard-oriented team that year?). Later that year, we beat them again in Greensboro by 82-80, when Jim Boshart scored on a 3-point play (the old-fashioned way) with one second left in overtime.

If you liked offense, then Long and Leonard were certainly a blast to watch! Our 6-6 centers, Watts and Stroupe, were never short due to lack of effort!

I always thought that Ronny Watts was a lot like Anthony Teachey.....they both gave about 120% and squeezed everything possible out of their ability in every game.

Teachey was a great Deac, as he is proving on page 143 of Barry Lawing's book "Demon Deacon Hoops". I always thought that Teachey and Delaney Rudd improved as much in 4 years as any Deacons ever.

Back