• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who are our ACC-caliber players?

Who are our ACC-caliber players?

• Total voters

smallbigtall

jon gruden's haircut
Reaction score
The Moto thread got me thinking, everybody throws out their own version of the number of how many ACC-caliber players are on our roster, but there seems to be no true consensus. I've seen some people claim 0 and others claim 6.

Personally, I'd say Devin and CMM, with Cavanaugh and Moto being nothing more than solid ACC bench players, but still ACC talent.

Excluded Mitchell since he's incoming, included Moto because of today's discussion, so I guess it's more "who were our ACC-caliber players"

Last edited:
Are we talking about as of right now, or they will be? I think Overton will be close to ACC-caliber in a year or two. I voted on ACC-caliber right now and by that I took to mean that they would play 15+ minutes for almost every ACC team.

Fair question, I think your definition is probably about right, although I'd probably say contribute meaningful minutes (think Moto) rather than assign a strict number

I'm curious to hear from people who don't think Devin, Cav, and CMM are ACC-caliber.

Or the folks who think Dre, Madison, Ovaltine, and Tree are. With the exception of Madison (necessity), these guys couldn't crack the rotation during the worst/least talented stretch in WF basketball history.

Overton was a freshman. I'd say the jury is still out on him. That's my logic, at least.

He had some good moments and some terrible moments. I don't think he's as bad of an athlete as most seem to. I also think his shot got better as he saw the floor more often.

I voted for Moto, Cav, and Devin. CMM has good instincts but he isn't a PG and can't shoot outside well enough for a SG. He would be coming off the bench for the vast majority of teams because of those issues.

Danny Manning and Randolph Childress are the best players in the program. And the only ones close to ACC caliber. Even at 47 and 41 years old.

ACC-caliber and ACC starter-caliber are two different distinctions. While most of the players on Wake's team would not start on other teams, some of them would play off the bench in either a specialty role or to spell the starters. The list would be pretty more select if the question was which players are starter quality. It'd probably be limited to Devin (and maybe CMM).

Strictly from the 2013-2014 season: Travis, CMM, Devin were ACC level players. Moto, Cav, Coron were ACC level role players.

Lose 3 of the 6. Shelton and GMc are ACC level prospects.

ACC-caliber and ACC starter-caliber are two different distinctions. While most of the players on Wake's team would not start on other teams, some of them would play off the bench in either a specialty role or to spell the starters. The list would be pretty more select if the question was which players are starter quality. It'd probably be limited to Devin (and maybe CMM).

This. I voted CMM and Devin. To me, they're the only ACC starter calibers. The sad thing is I would have put Moto as #3 on my list. Moto and Cav are the only other 2 guys on that list who I've seen play who I'd want to get decent minutes (like 15-20) coming off the bench. I haven't seen McClinton so I can't say there but am hoping he turns out to be good.

I voted for Moto, Cav, and Devin. CMM has good instincts but he isn't a PG and can't shoot outside well enough for a SG. He would be coming off the bench for the vast majority of teams because of those issues.

This. CMM is a decent ACC point guard, but he doesn't produce much, and unless his game improves dramatically before next year, doesn't offer much as a SG. Also, can we even vote for Moto now?

Like the lazy child he is, SBT didn't include the thread I immediately started welcoming Rondale, wishing him well and commending him on a wise choice. But I wouldn't expect him to be honest.

Back