• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The New AD at WFU...

deacsrus

Reaction score
when hired needs to clean house. When RW was hired, he pledged that all sports would compete for NCAA championships. It seems that we are near the bottom of the ACC in most of our non-revenue sports. Not to pick on any one sport, but I saw in the Durham paper today where the first, second, and third All-ACC teams in women's tennis is devoid of any WF player. It wasn't long ago that we were pretty good at women's tennis. RW is no longer inclined to keep his promise(because, I assume he will take a job with the NCAA after next year's basketball season), so should the new AD clean house or keep the status quo since they are non-revenue sports?

Yeah, I can't foresee any possible problems that would come with firing every single head and assistant coach for every sport all at once. And then having to hire a new coaching staff for every single team.

What could go wrong?

Not sure if the women's tennis program is the best example. WF just hired a new coach last year; so, the current coach is only in his second year, and the 9 player roster includes 7 sophmores and frosh. They have improved from last year, when they could barely field a team for some matches. WF's non-revenue team's bottomed out last year, and are improved this year. When WF hires a new AD, not sure "cleaning house" is the way to go, but every program needs to be individually judged to determine whether that program is headed in the right direction.

I thought the OP was talking about athletic department staff. There's going to be a ton of coaching turnover under a new AD regardless. A good number of coaches have been at Wake a very long time (several pre-Wellman) and/or are greatly underachieving. The list of longtime coaches who would be untouchable for a new AD is short.

We should just deport all of Winston-Salem. Scorched earth new start.

Wellman's rep is tarnished in coaching community for Dino. His judgement questioned for Bz. He's alienated the fanbase. He's treading on new facilities and NCAA committee responsibilities, but he's mostly a lame duck now - as seen by oversight on Manning hire. He's done.

Any marked success by Clawson and Manning within the next 3-5 years will ensure what we all know: Wellman goes out on his own terms.

Wellman won't be the AD in 3 years, I don't think. He is ready to ride off into the sunset.

I think the higher up the chain the person goes (Wellman, Hatch, BOT), the more unfalsifiable, stupid claims our board makes.

Not sure if the women's tennis program is the best example. WF just hired a new coach last year; so, the current coach is only in his second year, and the 9 player roster includes 7 sophmores and frosh. They have improved from last year, when they could barely field a team for some matches. WF's non-revenue team's bottomed out last year, and are improved this year. When WF hires a new AD, not sure "cleaning house" is the way to go, but every program needs to be individually judged to determine whether that program is headed in the right direction.

As a former Wake Tennis player, the word is the new women's coach is horrible, and the men's is top notch. Our new facilties will attract top talent.

As a former Wake Tennis player, the word is the new women's coach is horrible, and the men's is top notch. Our new facilties will attract top talent.

The new women's coach is a former Wake player or you're speaking as a former Wake player who heard the new coach is terrible? #keepergrammerpolice

The new AD will have to keep up with the Jones. Getting money to build buildings isn't an accomplishment on par with building winning programs.

Damn. I opened this thread with the highest of hopes based upon its title.

Back