• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka Smart

DAMMIT THE SHAKA VCU AD IS ON AGAIN!!!!!! WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME COMCAST SPORTS NET???

I don't listen to David Glenn, so I wouldn't know to trust him or not. BUT everything I've heard leads me to believe that Coach [Redacted] is back next year. I'm just a lowly tv news photog, but I do listen to the rumblings, and I've asked people who I believe to be "in the know" and they lead me to believe that Wellman and the administration want him back. I have no idea what is going on in [Redacted]'s head though.

14x1err.jpg

NC State was throwing $$$ at him last year and he didn't leave. Their job is much better than ours just with what he can get in school and more importantly, get thru school. Plus he can get the occasional juco if he needs it. We closed that off when the Faculty got pissed at Greer & baseball over the Hooks Field lights issue. Since they closed that off, baseball hasn't been worth squat. Oh yea & Wellman fired a 3 time ACC title winner for no reason.

As usual you have no clue what you are talking about. Shaka understands he's in the driver's seat.

Just like when IL threw $10M at him. State is not then type of school he wants to move to at this time in his career.

You need to get past that you are the only person in Skip's entire life that he didn't like.

You acted like an asshole and the person who loved everyone couldn't stand you. Someday maybe you'll realize it's you.

You need to get past that you are the only person in Skip's entire life that he didn't like.

You acted like an asshole and the person who loved everyone couldn't stand you. Someday maybe you'll realize it's you.

Damn.

Yeah I'm sure Shaka or whoever is going to base their decision on the George Greer saga.

It is not the George Greer saga I am talking about, it is the lack of being able to get in who you need to win at Wake and it started long ago when we screwed ourselves when McCloskey was our coach and we cast the deciding vote to not take jucos in the ACC unless they had the qualifying 800 SAT coming out of high school. That cost us Artis Gilmore, who then led Jacksonville to the Final Four instead of us with Charlie davis & Gil McGregor.

We did it again to ourselves in the early 2000's with Greer & baseball & it stemmed over the Faculty & the Hook's Field lights where the faculty got their panties in a wad. Wrote to California and got the juco curriculum & books and decided it didn't meet our supposed standards [even though the kids Grer was bringing in didn't cause any trouble and were graduating within the same % as our regular student body]. So it has caused Grobe to not be able to fill in any holes, basketball to get any nor baseball.

The last good basketball juco might have been Sean Allen. But we are our own worst enemy when it comes to athletics. We don't want one & dones so we don't get immediate ACC caliber basketball players. We want good citizens, as do all programs, but ours have to also put their shoes on correctly and be able to tie their shoes so they look good. We want kids who go to class, as do all programs but we want ours to be ACC caliber athletes who are also 1200 SAT. We want Notre Dame culture by recruiting our student body from all 50 states, Europe & China [and now only 19.5% North Carolina] and we want Stanford-like athletics. Wow. That is tough. But we have gotten rid of the weeds so let the garden grow.

It is not the George Greer saga I am talking about, it is the lack of being able to get in who you need to win at Wake and it started long ago when we screwed ourselves when McCloskey was our coach and we cast the deciding vote to not take jucos in the ACC unless they had the qualifying 800 SAT coming out of high school. That cost us Artis Gilmore, who then led Jacksonville to the Final Four instead of us with Charlie davis & Gil McGregor.

We did it again to ourselves in the early 2000's with Greer & baseball & it stemmed over the Faculty & the Hook's Field lights where the faculty got their panties in a wad. Wrote to California and got the juco curriculum & books and decided it didn't meet our supposed standards [even though the kids Grer was bringing in didn't cause any trouble and were graduating within the same % as our regular student body]. So it has caused Grobe to not be able to fill in any holes, basketball to get any nor baseball.

The last good basketball juco might have been Sean Allen. But we are our own worst enemy when it comes to athletics. We don't want one & dones so we don't get immediate ACC caliber basketball players. We want good citizens, as do all programs, but ours have to also put their shoes on correctly and be able to tie their shoes so they look good. We want kids who go to class, as do all programs but we want ours to be ACC caliber athletes who are also 1200 SAT. We want Notre Dame culture by recruiting our student body from all 50 states, Europe & China [and now only 19.5% North Carolina] and we want Stanford-like athletics. Wow. That is tough. But we have gotten rid of the weeds so let the garden grow.

That's all well and good. Do you realize how little of it has to do with Bz?

The sentiment in Madison is that Shaka will eventually take the UW job when Ryan retires. I dunno if Shaka will stay at VCU that long (perhaps 3 more years), but that would be an interesting shift in styles.

The sentiment in Madison is that Shaka will eventually take the UW job when Ryan retires. I dunno if Shaka will stay at VCU that long (perhaps 3 more years), but that would be an interesting shift in styles.

Does Shaka have some connection to Madison that I don't know about? Because otherwise I don't know why they would think they were in the running when he already turned down Illinois, which seems like a pretty similar job.

ETA: I see that he grew up there.

Last edited:
That would mean Shaka waiting 3-7 years at VCU. I don't see him being there that long.

"You acted like an asshole and the person who loved everyone couldn't stand you. Someday maybe you'll realize it's you."

unbelievable!

When are you leaving???

As usual you have no clue what you are talking about. Shaka understands he's in the driver's seat.

Just like when IL threw $10M at him. State is not then type of school he wants to move to at this time in his career.

It really has been cute watching you scramble to present yourself as some sort of insider on all things related to the WFU basketball coaching position. Once you realized that everyone was laughing at your stupid toilet and petition ideas, you immediately started badmouthing all the work VTWhat and the Strattons put in. You've gone on an email crusade to convince everyone that the decision has already been made and they need to listen to you. You're acting like the clearing house of all info related to Shaka Smart.

You're clearly desperate to become part of the story, instead of just being a passionate observer. Cute. Maybe someday you'll get the recognition only you clearly feel you deserve. Until then, we should all hide our toilets.

I doubt Ryan will be there 7 more years. My feeling is he sees Dekker graduate and then calls it a career. Perhaps with Koenig at the PG and Dekker as the man, UW is in a position for a NC in that time frame. Shaka takes over from a legend in his home town...I can see it happening if he does go anywhere else in the next 2 years.

Back