• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do you boycott any products/companies?

I'll choose A. Any offers I've gotten from #publicschoolfilth have included moving expenses and offers I'm familiar with have gotten them as well. Same with friends in the private sector. Why would anybody move to take a job they can't afford to move to?

This does not help the academic ivory tower stereotype. You do realize that the other 98% don't get paid to move for a job, right? When a factory shuts down and the city it supported goes with it, those folks are on their own dime to move to another town where there is work. Hell, I know multiple people who have moved across the country on their own dime for white collar, 6 figure technology jobs. The fact that it occurs for a few professors and high earning private sector folks does not make it the norm. And that's only accounting for relocation moves.

Last edited:
i don't think it's fair to say it's only a select few industries that offer some comp for moving, or that it's even a C level exec thing. i would say it's definitely a white-collar thing, though.

For a change of topic, I am boycotting both Hertz and Amex, related to the same incident.

Hertz because they charged me $2000 for damage and then took over a month to actually explain what the charge was. They then sent pictures which showed no apparent damage. Given how incredibly difficult it was to deal with them, I decided to just leave it at that because an Amex rep had actually proactively told me not to get rental insurance the day before the trip because the card that I booked the car on included coverage. Turns out it did not include coverage. Long story short, but after a year of back and forth (during which they told me multiple times that the card would be credited the next business day), they told me that because they didn't have a specific recording of their rep giving me the wrong information that they were going to stiff me with the bill. And, actually, the last supervisor I talked to informed me that they might not have paid the claim even if they did have a recording because Amex was not the final authority on my card's benefits, rather my company was.

Luckily, I am not mandated to use the Amex Corporate card (in fact, only used it for booking car rentals...), and I immediately canceled my SPG Amex. So that's $30k a year or so in spend that is now going to Chase. Luckily my company also has two preferred car rental agencies, and it turns out that Avis is actually superior in pretty much every way anyway.

We had a rather shitty AMEX experience a few years ago; will never open an account with them.

Chipotle is a fairly easy place to boycott. Beyond food borne illnesses, they've had some legitimate employee issues, real bad.

Still don't like Wal-Mart. Avoid going there at all costs. My wife had an issue years ago and asked for the manager. She was explaining the issue to him and every time she stopped to let him respond he looked at me and started talking to me. I just calmly said the issue is with her and you need to discuss it with her rather than me. That repeated several times. A pretty crazy sexist exchange.

i don't think it's fair to say it's only a select few industries that offer some comp for moving, or that it's even a C level exec thing. i would say it's definitely a white-collar thing, though.

Yeah I was given a moving bonus when I relocated from DC and it would have covered movers from door to door. But because we moved rather quickly and it was summer pretty much any legit moving company was already booked up leaving only the really poorly reviewed ones. So I rented a UHaul and hired movers on both ends which wasn’t that bad.

What customer service do you need to rent a truck?

Last truck I rented from U-haul, I picked it up from a random gas station in Daytona Beach. Dude took 30 minutes to enter my new address because he couldn't figure out that Richmond, Virginia, was a a city and state and thus did not go on the top line. (There may have been drugs involved). So, ideally, better than that, plus having a truck available as mentioned before.

The uhaul experience is about as ghetto as it comes. I have done it four times, and it is a borderline miracle nothing has gone wrong so far. Hopefully luck holds for the 5th time this summer.

We had a rather shitty AMEX experience a few years ago; will never open an account with them.

Yep. Always shake my head when people go on about how great their service is. Besides the fact that they cost me $2000, they were quite incompetent throughout the process. Chase Sapphire is much better.

Hertz is the absolute worse though. Understand that if you want any information about an international rental, the US customer service office will be completely useless, and the New Zealand franchise at least is also completely useless. I had to threaten to report them for fraud before I got any information.

Yep. Always shake my head when people go on about how great their service is. Besides the fact that they cost me $2000, they were quite incompetent throughout the process. Chase Sapphire is much better.

Hertz is the absolute worse though. Understand that if you want any information about an international rental, the US customer service office will be completely useless, and the New Zealand franchise at least is also completely useless. I had to threaten to report them for fraud before I got any information.

yeah, my In-Laws got totally taken by Hertz international in italy. guy scammed them on 'damage' to the air-dam under the front bumper. charged them $700.

i'm sure he collects that $700 every week.

Twice we’ve used real movers, one very good experience and one sort of OK.

Renting various uhaul type things over the years—the trend seems to be it’s become a more chaotic, less reliable industry. Last time we used uhaul we had many problems and then got overcharged to boot.

The uhaul experience is about as ghetto as it comes. I have done it four times, and it is a borderline miracle nothing has gone wrong so far. Hopefully luck holds for the 5th time this summer.

These are my general sentiments and experience, too. Almost all the pickup locations have been sketchy, and I often wonder why these 'contractors' even do it, when it appears to be a minimal, tertiary cash line at best - there's always only one truck, and I'm just thankful it's somehow mine.

I've also had a few close shaves while driving the trucks. Actually, more like minor scrapes, but I've avoided paying damages.

I hit an illegally parked car when pulling onto my block in DC during our move out. The street is super narrow with parallel parked cars on both sides and two way traffic, but cars have to take turns passing one another. Should have always been a one way street. I had to take the turn wide to avoid the car, but the very back corner of my bumper clipped their rear bumper. Didn’t cause any damage to the truck though.

Cop ticketed me but also the owner of the car but he never ended up processing the ticket so no fine or hit on the insurance. He got into a shouting match with the owner of the car because he apparently ticketed her just about every day in that spot and she didn’t know why it was an illegal spot.

Penske is actually cheaper this time so going with them. Based solely on the appearances of the trucks it seems to be a much more robust operation so hopefully all goes well.

Belair Cantina in Milwaukee shouldn't have another paying customer come in for a meal. They are a disgrace.

Belair Cantina in Milwaukee shouldn't have another paying customer come in for a meal. They are a disgrace.

this is a really specific boycott and unlikely to get legs on this board. but i respect it

Yes, WFcatamount is of the belief that foreign celebrities should receive preferential treatment over hard working Americans when it comes to getting a taco.

Yes, WFcatamount is of the belief that foreign celebrities should receive preferential treatment over hard working Americans when it comes to getting a taco.

catamount wants to move immigrants to the front of the line.

I just did this, but I was also one dude moving into an apartment.

Also, it sucked, and I'd absolutely go back and pay extra for movers if I could

If you have the capacity to do a DIY project, you will almost always take greater care of your property and be less sloppy than a contractor.

Moving exacerbates this, especially with so much sub-contracting, either the front end or back end, they tear up your shit and then you have to fight claims.

If possible, I’ll use pods, loaded by me, again in the future. That worked.

Back