• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mark Cuban on bigotry: 'None of us have complete pure thoughts'

This morning on ESPN they predictably focused completely on the "black kid in a hoodie" part and didn't even say anything about the white guy with the shaved head and tatoos part. To me, what Cuban was saying is it's not so much about color as it is the way they present themselves. I see white people that look like they might be a thug or whatever, just like I see blacks or hispanics that look like they might be a thug or whatever too. Can anyone honestly say they don't get preconceived thoughts about people they see whether they are black, white, hispanic or asian?

He was honest. Everybody carries some prejudice. If you wholly deny the existence of prejudice or endorse prejudice that's a problem. Cuban was just being honest about human nature.

There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.... After all we have been through. Just to think we can't walk down our own streets, how humiliating.

Jesse Jackson, 1993

Mark is right...none of us have complete pure thoughts.

Sheep0007.jpg

When I was living in Gainesville I saw a young black male in a hoodie outside of Publix in July and thought, "that's pretty suspicious. A hoodie in July in Gainesville?"

Confirmed:
Joshua Harris @JoshHarris25 · 4m

Bars in uptown really count how many black ppl are in there and won't let us in if it's "too dark in the room"? Wow.

My favorite thing is seeing white kids in HB with hoodies and tats trying to be ghetto..

My favorite thing is seeing white kids in HB with hoodies and tats trying to be ghetto..

Especially chubby white kids attempting ghetto. The fat takes away the sad aspect and adds more humor.

Confirmed:

Bars in uptown really count how many black ppl are in there and won't let us in if it's "too dark in the room"? Wow.

That type of thing definitely happens. That's not a Josh Harris thing. Of course, they do the same thing to guys in general.

I hope Cuban's comments open up a dialogue. I didn't see anything wrong with acknowledging prejudice. The key is not acting on them.

I don't see what it has to do with Sterling though.

Actually I back off my attempted troll job of RJ. Kudos for him to admitting in his mind that hoodies and tats are associated with the "ghetto" culture.

Confirmed:

Where was he at, Cracker Barrel?

Back