• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Sports 2013-4 Year In Review

I agree with you guys, I was kind of responding to those that might point to facilities to show what a great AD Wellman is. If all of this construction hasn't produced more winning, then what was the point?

Unfortunately, I think that all the facility upgrades only serve to maintain the status quo. Despite all the money spent on facilities in the last 10 years, Wake Forest athletics are still in the same place they were before- at or near the bottom of the ACC and all the other BCS conferences. Everyone is making huge investments in facilities, Wellman has done nothing to improve or move Wake Forest up.

Good point, Lilburn.

That 2016 date for the BB&T deal is huge. Was even bigger when that was the end of Grobe's contract. That may be the first major facilities challenge for the new AD (hopefully).

Wake up from #73 in the Winter update to #64 in the Director's Cup standings due to points from Women's Golf and Men's Tennis.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...p/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/May29DI.pdf

60-69:
Dartmouth
Utah
Penn
Clemson
Wake Forest
Kansas
Ole Miss
Cornell
Miami (FL)
St. John's

The next update includes men's golf.

By comparison, we were #111 in the Winter standings last year. #73 is improvement, but it's improvement for completely horrible to just really bad.

I know this isn't a popular sentiment, but we spent $14 million in Football and just under $8 million in Basketball. For comparison purposes, Duke (DUKE!) spent $19 million in Football, and Miami (MIAMI!) spent over $10 million on Basketball.

Winning takes getting players. Getting players takes recruiting. Recruiting takes facilities and relationships. Facilities take money. Relationships take money.
The greater our team's recruiting budgets, the more often coaches can see players compete not just in their sport, but in their track meets, wrestling matches or whichever other activities they partake in. It means we pick them up from the airport in a limo rather than a beat-up chevy. It means once players get to campus, we outfit them with as much gear, food and living space as they can handle. The schools that give players the most recruit the best players. The schools that have the best players win the most games.

All that is to say, in my opinion, any of us that are unhappy with our on-field results should contribute more money. It's time for us, collectively, to stop making excuses. Problems have been identified, now let's all be part of the solution. We can affect change by making donations to increase our budgets to recruit the best players. Let's do it.

I know this isn't a popular sentiment, but we spent $14 million in Football and just under $8 million in Basketball. For comparison purposes, Duke (DUKE!) spent $19 million in Football, and Miami (MIAMI!) spent over $10 million on Basketball.

Winning takes getting players. Getting players takes recruiting. Recruiting takes facilities and relationships. Facilities take money. Relationships take money.
The greater our team's recruiting budgets, the more often coaches can see players compete not just in their sport, but in their track meets, wrestling matches or whichever other activities they partake in. It means we pick them up from the airport in a limo rather than a beat-up chevy. It means once players get to campus, we outfit them with as much gear, food and living space as they can handle. The schools that give players the most recruit the best players. The schools that have the best players win the most games.

All that is to say, in my opinion, any of us that are unhappy with our on-field results should contribute more money. It's time for us, collectively, to stop making excuses. Problems have been identified, now let's all be part of the solution. We can affect change by making donations to increase our budgets to recruit the best players. Let's do it.

I'm not disagreeing with your logic, but if the powers that be in the AD won't do what you're saying about recruiting even if they got more money, it wouldn't make any difference. I just have little confidence that the AD would devote resources to things that you're talking about. They seem small time and backwards in all aspects of running modern college athletics.

I'm not disagreeing with your logic, but if the powers that be in the AD won't do what you're saying about recruiting even if they got more money, it wouldn't make any difference. I just have little confidence that the AD would devote resources to things that you're talking about. They seem small time and backwards in all aspects of running modern college athletics.

What makes you think we wouldn't devote resources if we had them? I'd be shocked if we would ever purposefully hold back recruiting tools that could help us win. This goes back to Ph's point a little bit ago. The job of an AD is to work within whatever operating budget the department has to create an Athletics program that positively markets the university. The best way to positively market the university is to win games (with likeable coaches and players that stay out of trouble and all that good stuff).

If we had a sudden influx of revenue, and our total department budget increased by $5 million, I'm not sure where we would spend it, other than on facilities or team budgets. I don't know what else we could possibly spend on. Even if we spent on coaching salaries, training staff, equipment, medical, etc., we'd still be helping the cause.

We haven't been doing what it takes to win with the resources we have.

From when I was on Deacon Club Board- Our goal is top 25 in the rankings(Director's Cup). To my memory we achieved that once in the last 10-15 years, perhaps our goal is to high.

From when I was on Deacon Club Board- Our goal is top 25 in the rankings(Director's Cup). To my memory we achieved that once in the last 10-15 years, perhaps our goal is to high.

Yeah by all means let's lower the bar.

Our goal is to win a basketball National Championship. To my memory we have never achieved that. Perhaps our goal is too high?

We haven't been doing what it takes to win with the resources we have.

Not really arguing with this, just wondering if you could expand on that? If we have the lowest football expenses in the ACC, would any finish above last qualify as a success? I would think those expenses have to include debt service on Deacon Tower and other similar enhancements.

Our genius AD alienated the fan base he relies on for financial contributions to operate his athletic department.

I don't disagree that more money would in general be a beneficial thing (obviously). However, as I said above I don't have much confidence in our AD using the extra money in the manner most beneficial to our chances of winning.

Our genius AD alienated the fan base he relies on for financial contributions to operate his athletic department.

I won't argue at all with your opinion, that's fine; I'll leave my own opinion out of this. But if the issue at hand is how do we help improve our teams, a clear answer to me seems to be to increase our donations. Regardless of who our AD is, we are going to need money to succeed. Withholding that money until there is a new person in charge will only put us further behind our counterparts, and make it take longer to catch up. Personally, I would rather do what I can to help us bridge that gap now and provide our staff with everything necessary to succeed. I would strongly encourage others to do the same.

Loh, if you really do believe our AD won't use the money in the most beneficial manner, you can earmark it toward an individual purpose. I wouldn't recommend that, but you are certainly able to do so. I would prefer we do that than not support at all.

It's tough to give a guy money who paid [Redacted] $1M+ a year.

Back