• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Sports 2013-4 Year In Review

It's tough to give a guy money who paid [name redacted] $1M+ a year.

Exactly. Enabling a guy to make decisions that bad put us way further behind our competitors than withholding funds until he is replaced could do. And it was $1.4M+...

You can designate a gift to a specific project if that is more comfortable; make a gift directly to Football, or to Baseball, or wherever you would like it to go.

That said, I would still encourage just give to the Deacon Club. Salaries are salaries; I don't think our Athletic Department would take a gift and increase an already-signed coach's salary. They would probably take the additional revenue to increase our facilities and/or operating budgets, specifically things that will help us in recruiting.

But again, if that doesn't sit right with you, make a gift directly to the coach you trust the most.

Wellman still decides how the money is spent.

Lots of us withheld our donations and it helped get two coaches who needed to go canned. Maybe we should hold out for just one more.

I've just researched the history of the Director's Cup...

Since its inception in 1993-1994 through 2008-2009, Wake has ranked 50th or better in all years except 1997-1998 and 1998-1999 when we finished 66 and 74, respectively. We typically were between 33 and 45 or thereabouts.

The 2006-2007 season was our high water mark when we reached the goal and finished 23rd...

Then beginning with 2009-2010 the bottom dropped out...

We now are finishing behind the likes of Stoney Brook and North Dakota State. Go figure!

(Didn't realize that Stanford has had a virtual lock on this competition win for the past 19 years (not sure about this year.) UNC is the only other school to win it (the first year))

If you do a search for Director's Cup, you'll find a thread from last year with a thorough breakdown by year and even by sport.

New pole vault school record yesterday, and another qualifier for the NCAA Championships.

As AD, how would you more wisely spend the money?

New coaches are a good start. But from what we heard, we probably overpaid for Manning.

I think it's safe to say Clawson is using the recruiting budget better than Grobe did.

Jessie Merckle (javelin) and Sydney White (Pole Vault) qualified for the NCAA finals in Eugene in a few weeks. These ladies are both sophomores and were highly recruited out of high school ((Merckle had 4th best javelin throw in high school for 2012) and White had 6th best pole vault in 2012 for high schoolers).

If we can continue to recruit this type of talent for our track team(s), we will improve.

“You can talk about injuries, you can talk about recruits that didn’t come that you thought you were going to get to come, you can talk about a lot of factors. We just haven’t done as well as we need to do. And we’ve got to find ways to do better.

please tell me that by injuries he isnt talking about daniel green.

how about the crappy coaching you put up with?

I've never had a paywall issue. Interesting.

Wellman is so full of it. Dan did a good job of calling him out by pointing out the omissions.

Time for Ronnie to go. I will maintain my giving, but not increase it until we have some fresh ideas and someone less pompous as AD.

I've gotta think the waning interest had an impact on the coaching changes. Not sure how big an impact, but I've got to assume there was at least something on some level.

Withholding donations I think can be an effective strategy at producing failure and forcing changes. The problem is that it just puts us so much further behind, and digs us a much deeper hole to crawl out of.

Back