• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

If you guys don't like Scales, then you should never visit Northwestern.

The baseball locker room is unmatched by any locker room I've ever been in. I've toured college, NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA arenas and ours honestly blows them away. The recent grads who are in the Majors have their own lockers and can use the facilities anytime they're in town to work out. The pitching room is state of the art. Coach Walter mentioned that we'd just signed a deal with WFBMC to add technology including infrared cameras to be able to analyze our pitchers every motion, even sensing the pressure of the plant foot after a pitch. They'll be able to track the rotation, give instructions, and immediately see the results.

One interesting thing he also mentioned last night, the location of the pitches is often determined by the amount of rotation on the ball. Those with a lower rotation are more apt to pitch down around the knees hoping for ground outs, whereas higher rotation pitchers want to pitch high in the strike zone leading to more pop flies. He also went into bat velocity at impact and the needed trajectory of the bat to ball contact to maximize power. The science behind it really blew me away.

I just wanted to echo what was said above. Got to see the locker room and "part" of the baseball facility tonight and that thing is awesome. I have obviously seen pics of the locker room before but they honestly don't do it justice. That thing is top notch. Kudos to Wake and donors for making that happen and also the other upgrades with facilities at Wake.

When all of this construction is finished, I wonder what percentage of climate controlled space on the Reynolda campus will be dedicated to intercollegiate athletics?

It would be an interesting breakdown to see the indoor space on campus by

Teaching/research/studying (library goes here)
administrative offices
residential
student leisure, food service and other (Wait Chapel goes here)
Intercollegiate athletics.

It would also be interesting to see how these have changed over time.

Rode through High Point University this afternoon. As beautiful as our campus (including the new athletic buildings)is, that place is amazing. Hadn’t been there in many years and couldn’t believe it. Of course, they can’t build an academic reputation or tradition/history with brick and mortar.

Rode through High Point University this afternoon. As beautiful as our campus (including the new athletic buildings)is, that place is amazing. Hadn’t been there in many years and couldn’t believe it. Of course, they can’t build an academic reputation or tradition/history with brick and mortar.

Saudi oil money

They host a Christmas celebration every year in which we have taken our kids to the last few years. Our first trip there made my jaw drop. That campus is great and I had no idea that HPU had been upgrading like that. The money that has been flowing into that place is unreal.

They host a Christmas celebration every year in which we have taken our kids to the last few years. Our first trip there made my jaw drop. That campus is great and I had no idea that HPU had been upgrading like that. The money that has been flowing into that place is unreal.

Facilities, man. Why isn't their basketball team great?

I’ve read they have leveraged their future with about a billion in debt and their bonds and endowment are worthless. But the campus is very impressive. It’s almost gaudy. The admissions rate there is about 80% so it appears to be a country club for northern students who don’t get accepted at southern Ivy League schools.

High Point U. is not a peer institution in any respect. However, it is a positive for the city of High Point and the Triad area that they are investing and growing.

High Point U. is not a peer institution in any respect. However, it is a positive for the city of High Point and the Triad area that they are investing and growing.

Yes, until the bill comes due. 42 million endowment. 250 million debt.

Agreed. I'm only stating what I've noticed over the last few years as I work in High Point and am in the city quite a bit. High Point needs all the help it can get.

As pointed out in this article, most of the money comes from debt and high tuition and fees. Nido has raised some money but not as much as he would like everyone to believe:

"...Another North Carolina school, High Point University, also has taken on substantial financial commitments to provide an upscale campus experience. Under the leadership of president Nido Qubein, the university has spent more than $700 million since 2005 to upgrade and expand its recreational facilities. These projects—financed almost entirely through increased borrowing and student fees—have provided such necessities as a movie theater, flat-screen plasma TVs in every dorm room, complimentary shuttle service, hot tubs, and weekly massage sessions..."

Sounds more like a resort than a college.

I’ve read they have leveraged their future with about a billion in debt and their bonds and endowment are worthless. But the campus is very impressive. It’s almost gaudy. The admissions rate there is about 80% so it appears to be a country club for northern students who don’t get accepted at southern Ivy League schools.

exactly what it is

Back