• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe Joining Fox Sports South

Elrod didn't want to coach anymore. He has a day job outside of football now.

2574445-4236261275-okaay.gif

People who don't know say stupid shit.

What we KNOW is that this previous staff ran the football program into the ground. Flat ass into the fucking ground. If you want to call that "stupid shit" because most of them couldn't find a job, you are entitled.

ETA: yes, I am beating a dead horse, but I don't care for people who climb up on high horses, something both Grobe and you did liberally.

And I don't care for people who try and instigate nonsense. I just don't think an FBS school is looking for a Jim Grobe type right now in college football. He's 62. His method takes a couple years to kick in. His prime is behind him, and schools want someone these days that can really excite a fan base. Hiring someone who is "past their prime" isn't going to do that. My opinion. You don't have to agree.

And I don't care for people who try and instigate nonsense. I just don't think an FBS school is looking for a Jim Grobe type right now in college football. He's 62. His method takes a couple years to kick in. His prime is behind him, and schools want someone these days that can really excite a fan base. Hiring someone who is "past their prime" isn't going to do that. My opinion. You don't have to agree.

I agree entirely that Grobe is past his prime. It isn't because of his age though.

What we KNOW is that this previous staff ran the football program into the ground. Flat ass into the fucking ground. If you want to call that "stupid shit" because most of them couldn't find a job, you are entitled.

I believe he called your comment about Elrod "stupid shit," which it was.

With the record over the last 5 years, Grobe will not get a good job, that just needs to replace a coach who has moved up. The only jobs he would be a likely candidate would be turnarounds and he doesn't have the drive / energy to do that. I hope TV works out for him.

I know you aren't the sharpest knife on this particular board (making you a really short dwarf), but my statement is factually accurate. Coach Elrod had the opportunity to take other coaching jobs and chose not to do so. He and his wife are both Wake grads, they have lived in Winston for about the last 10 years, and are raising a family in Winston. Their family has been through hell over the past couple of years. His fourth child was born the day Coach Grobe resigned. So they, as a family, decided not to pack up and leave to chase a job at another school. He is putting his Wake MBA to work in a different field.

Stop talking about shit you know nothing about. If you want to make the point that coaches from Coach Grobe's staff have had a hard time finding new jobs, have at it. But don't use Coach Elrod as an example.

I have no idea if Grobe will coach again but I do appreciate what he did. As a long time Wake fan he took us to places we never had gone and raised expectations. That is a good thing. Time to move on and join the Dave Clawson era.

I know a good friend of Elrod's down here in Jax and this was a family decision for him. He had plenty of coaching opportunities in football but had a great opportunity outside of football and took it. Without going into detail that family has been through a lot in the last year or so and I admire the decision. Think he will be informative on the radio.

Meh, Grobe's call in show and "aw shucks" demeanor doesn't lead me to believe that he'll be a good color man.

Agreed. At least he is friends with pretty much all the other coaches so maybe he'll get some strong nuggets from them in talking to them before the games. Otherwise, can't see him being very good

I hung out with Coach Grobe and Riley Skinner at the ACC Kickoff weekend in Greensboro. Riley noticed my Wake pin and came over to introduce himself. Really nice guy. Rumors were swirling that Coach Grobe was going to take a coaching job in the next couple of days.

I have no idea if Grobe will coach again but I do appreciate what he did. As a long time Wake fan he took us to places we never had gone and raised expectations. That is a good thing. Time to move on and join the Dave Clawson era.

I know a good friend of Elrod's down here in Jax and this was a family decision for him. He had plenty of coaching opportunities in football but had a great opportunity outside of football and took it. Without going into detail that family has been through a lot in the last year or so and I admire the decision. Think he will be informative on the radio.

Any Wake fan that doesn't appreciate Jim Grobe and what was accomplished during his tenure is pretty pathetic. Did it end great, no. Were there things that disappointed me or I didn't agree with during Grobe's tenure, you bet. However, Jim Grobe was the best thing that happened to Wake Forest football in a long, long time and I appreciate him as a coach and a person. He set a higher bar at Wake then we've seen in the modern era and now it's time for someone to take that bar and put it higher. I hope Dave Clawson is that guy and I'm glad things worked out the way they did. It was time for Grobie to move on and it was time for us to bring in a guy like Dave Clawson.

We've been over this so many times....

Grobe = very nice gentleman. He was an administrator - not a coach of anything. 'Head' coach in name only. He was lost when he/we lost both coordinators. He coasted the last 3 years and totally lost the team during the 2012 season - should have resigned then. End of story.

JMO but can't for the life of me see Grobe as an 'interesting' color man on either TV or radio....he'll make folks doze-off before the end of the 1st quarter.

"snot bubbles" "knuckle heads" and "hair on fire" are expressions about to be introduced into the vocabulary of every young boy watching college football on Fox South.

I guess it could be worse.

I think Elrod will be great on the radio. He is direct and knows the game well. A Deacon through and through, I expect he'll do great.

We've been over this so many times....

Grobe = very nice gentleman. He was an administrator - not a coach of anything. 'Head' coach in name only. He was lost when he/we lost both coordinators. He coasted the last 3 years and totally lost the team during the 2012 season - should have resigned then. End of story.

JMO but can't for the life of me see Grobe as an 'interesting' color man on either TV or radio....he'll make folks doze-off before the end of the 1st quarter.

Yeah and you'll find many head coaches that take the same approach. Grobe was the head coach, he gets credit for the good times as well as the bad. The good was the best we've seen in the modern era, the bad wasn't close to the worst we've seen in the modern era. You add it all up and Jim Grobe was a great head coach for us. It was time to move on and we did, end of story. It's the Clawson era now and if can match or excede what Grobe did, excluding the last few years of the Grobe era, we'll be very happy.

Back