• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe Joining Fox Sports South

live -

Yeah and you'll find many head coaches that take the same approach

Only one that comes to mind is Fisher DeBerry....who naturally was Grobe's mentor. Both relied heavily/exclusively on their top assistants to do the actual coaching.

Imagine [name redacted] as the next network hire

Maybe Grobe can now let America know what was going through his mind as he silently gazed at the scoreboard while Rome burned.

live -

Only one that comes to mind is Fisher DeBerry....who naturally was Grobe's mentor. Both relied heavily/exclusively on their top assistants to do the actual coaching.

Oh, I think there's a lot more than that. I do think there are very few head coaches that are as quiet on the sidelines as Grobe was, but I think there are a lot that rely heavily on their assistants to do most of the actual coaching and game planning while they act as more of an administrator. Take Dabo Swinney, he's so animated on the sideline it's gives one the impression he's super involved in the coaching, but I don't doubt he relies as much on his assistants to do the coaching as Grobe did. Dabo is actually pretty smart that way, I think he channels his energy into recruiting and promoting the program, and leaves most of the coaching to his staff. I don't think there's any doubt that Grobe's biggest flaw was being too laid back I think.

The TV gig clarifies why he was at ACC media days. Seemed a little awkward to see him hanging around

"I'm not sure why they're choosing to go for it on 4th down deep in their opponents territory. This situation definitely calls for a punt."

"I'm not sure why they're choosing to go for it on 4th down deep in their opponents territory. This situation definitely calls for a punt."

Third and long...Look for the delayed draw from the gun here.

Seems like he was trying to coach -- just didn't get the offer (or at least one he was willing to accept)

When we had a thread on the presser for Grobe's retirement you and I went back and forth about whether he'd coach again. I said he was hanging up the whistle. No biggie.

Damn, you have a good memory. I didn't recall that at all but I just went back and found it. A tip of the cap to you, sir.

It speaks volumes how few members of our former basketball and football staffs found coaching jobs after Wake.

Steed Lobotzke and his thoughts on his current WSSU players:

“I’m very happy with our talent level,” Lobotzke said. “The guys that we are projecting as starters are every bit as good as what I saw in recent years at Wake Forest. I think our top two quarterbacks (Rudy Johnson and Phillip Sims) could have easily played for us at Wake.”

This is why the Grobe staff is gone and very few of them have been able to find new jobs.

“I’m very happy with our talent level,” Lobotzke said. “The guys that we are projecting as starters are every bit as good as what I saw in recent years at Wake Forest. I think our top two quarterbacks (Rudy Johnson and Phillip Sims) could have easily played for us at Wake.”

This is why the Grobe staff is gone and very few of them have been able to find new jobs.

Normally I'd just chalk that up to coach speak, and he may not even believe it, but he may also be quite correct.

That's what happens when you "coach" at a P5 school and put zero effort into recruiting, Steed.

Normally I'd just chalk that up to coach speak, and he may not even believe it, but he may also be quite correct.

I should have put the emphasis on the words 'recent players'. His words. I wonder why he chose to use the word 'recent'?

I’m very happy with our talent level,” Lobotzke said. “The guys that we are projecting as starters are every bit as good as what I saw in recent years at Wake Forest. I think our top two quarterbacks (Rudy Johnson and Phillip Sims) could have easily played for us at Wake.”

Good Gawd....is it possible that he hasn't a clue how self incriminating this is ? :rolleyes:

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/ws...cle_a4cefbd9-2464-55f0-8b27-78798c06b9ca.html

this article too...

Back