• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Another article on the Radiohead/Lana del Rey thing. I haven't listened to the Lana del Rey song, so I'll need to do that. Just last month I did a little three course workshop on music copyright and shit, so this will be interesting to review in that context.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a14854037/radiohead-lana-del-rey-creep/

Did the Robin Thicke case screw everything up?
Very much so, most observers agree. “Robin Thicke was horrible. That was the worst decision ever,” says Harrington. There was no chord progression in common, no melody, no lyrics, no unauthorized samples. They argued that both songs used a cow bell, which is essentially musically meaningless in terms of protectable information. Instead, what the Gaye estate argued, was that Thicke and company had stolen the feel or the groove of the song. That has troubling implications for future musicians, and may play into the case against Del Rey, whose song is in fact similar-sounding in feel or mood to Radiohead’s.

“What was admirable about Thicke and Pharrell was they fought it,” Cronin says. “They said, no, we’re looking at larger picture, a precedent like this will make people increasingly vulnerable. The problem is it keeps feeding on itself.”

Indeed that has proven out over the time since that decision, he says, with at least 20 cases filed in court in 2017, a substantial jump over prior years. People see that there’s money to be made in these cases now, so why not try?

This stood out because when I listened to the Marvin Gaye/Robin Thicke thing, I didn't think anything was there. I'm a musician and have been listening/studying/performing music for like 35 years and have a pretty good ear. I had a friend of mine, pretty much same background, argue with me that it was obvious and blatant. It's a pretty weird debate overall.

Last edited:
Old Ziggy's downtown space on 9th to re-open as the Ramkat. One of the new owners was one of my frat hommies and assures me that the gloryholes will be PRIMO.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...cle_76d28a46-81a1-558c-bba2-e7501458a76f.html

A live-music venue is opening in the former Ziggy's site on West Ninth Street, and it involves Richard Emmett, a longtime booster of Winston-Salem's music scene.

The Ramkat is a 11,670-square foot concert hall, with a grand opening set for mid-March. Over the past few weeks, work has taken place on the outside of the venue, feeding the rumor mill on social media. Ziggy's, the former occupant of the building at 170 W. Ninth St., closed in 2016.

Emmett is co-owner and managing partner of The Ramkat, along with Andy Tennille, a local music promoter and music journalist and photographer.

Bryan Ledbetter, owner of Airtype Studios and Camel City Goods, a design agency and apparel company in Winston-Salem, will also be involved as a partner and investor but not in the day-to-day management of the venue.

564a156aea824.image.jpg

Last edited:
Lately I've been collecting gig poster for concerts I've attended, and, man, that is quite a rabbit hole to fall into. Have found some pretty cool ones from old shows I attended, but there's at least an equal number of posters I wish I could find for purchase, or memorable concerts for which I can't find a poster at all. You guys have any cool old gig posters?

WHOA

You're bad for me like cigarettes
But I haven't sucked enough of you yet
Nothing is sacred and nothing is true
I'm no-one that's nowhere when I'm here with you

I've lost the power I had to distinguish
Between what to ignite and what to extinguish

I blew in last night, I'm the ghost from the coast
When the lighting is bad I'm the man with the most
You left me to choke on a heart up in smoke
Smiling through your tears and your tetracycline overdose

You're good for me like Coca-Cola
I don't get any younger, you don't get any older
Everything's sacred and everything's true
All of this is possible when I'm here with you

I've got a lot to say but I keep my own counsel
I'd like to spit it out but I won't speak with my mouth full

I blew in last night, I'm the ghost from the coast
When the lighting is bad I'm the man with the most
You left me to choke on a heart up in smoke
Smiling through your tears and your tetracycline overdose

are tune-yards shows fun? don't really know their stuff. I'm a fan of the touring opener and thinking about going.

Festival lineups started to come out this week, and holy fuck they're bad. Like, really bad.

Maybe one of the later summer festivals will impress, but might just be a Hopscotch year for me... Hoping that Osheaga puts out a cool lineup. That'd be a fun trip.

Festival lineups started to come out this week, and holy fuck they're bad. Like, really bad.

Maybe one of the later summer festivals will impress, but might just be a Hopscotch year for me... Hoping that Osheaga puts out a cool lineup. That'd be a fun trip.

Agree. I was talking a few months ago with a group of friends about renting an RV and doing a festival big maybe one last time before kids and shit but none of the lineups released are worth the expense.

Back