• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Of course I'm serious. You want Duke and UK to keep getting elite recruits?

Yes, a 2 or 3 year rule (like baseball and football) would be a step in the right direction.

Duke and UK would still get the best available recruits.

The baseball and football rules are completely different. A 2-year version of the baseball would make college basketball as relevant as college baseball. A 2-year version of the football rule would make college and pro basketball stronger.

You could say Duke & Ky are getting the elite one & dones b/c they get to constantly replace each other. Would Duke have got RJ Barrett & Cameron Reddish if all their current super frosh had to stay at Duke next season?

Duke and UK are getting the elite one and dones because they always get the best players. They got commits from the best players when HS players could go directly to the pros. They are getting the best players in the one and done era. They’ll get the best players under whatever rules exist.

But you do point out a difference. If there was a 2 year rule similar to the 3 year football, the best players would be more spread out.

Last edited:
Duke and UK are getting the elite one and dones because they always get the best players. They got commits from the best players when HS players could go directly to the pros. They are getting the best players in the one and done era. They’ll get the best players under whatever rules exist.

But you do point out a difference. If there was a 2 year rule similar to the 3 year football, the best players would be more spread out.

Also, the cream of the crop (top 5-10 players or so) is often quite clear. After that it's not nearly as clear who will be the most productive players.

Duke and UK would still get the best available recruits.

The baseball and football rules are completely different. A 2-year version of the baseball would make college basketball as relevant as college baseball. A 2-year version of the football rule would make college and pro basketball stronger.

Yes, the rules are different, but either would be an improvement upon what we currently have. You have written before that college basketball would become as relevant as college baseball if the baseball rule was adopted. I strongly disagree - college basketball is an established TV product with large contracts and isn't going anywhere.

Of course I'm serious. You want Duke and UK to keep getting elite recruits?

Yes, a 2 or 3 year rule (like baseball and football) would be a step in the right direction.

I don't think it is clear that the Kentucky/Duke model 0f 4-5 one-and-dones per year is a success. They are clearly good with that model, but I am not sure that the "Carolina Model" of getting the best of the next level players and keeping them longer is not more successful.

Those contracts are a big advantage for college hoops. If the best talent doesn’t go to college, they lose that advantage. I guarantee you the average viewer (someone without League Pass) will see Trae Young and Bagley on TV more this year than next year in the NBA. But those contracts won’t be as large without most of the top talents.

I think this argument comes down to how much weight do you put on player recruitment vs "coaching".

If you believe that the most crucial component to winning is getting the talent to Wake, then Manning will be fine. If you are of the belief that coaching is equally as important as recruiting, Manning will likely never get it done.

We know what Prosser thought, and while he was much better than those who followed, he did not win any championships.
You need both to be consistently successful. I agree that he can recruit but he simply can't coach. He makes mind boggling substitution and end of game decisions. If we are going to keep Manning, we need to hire a proven assistant to help with in game coaching and to teach our guys to play some damn defense. Manning listening to said assistant is an entirely different issue.

You need both to be consistently successful. I agree that he can recruit but he simply can't coach. He makes mind boggling substitution and end of game decisions. If we are going to keep Manning, we need to hire a proven assistant to help with in game coaching and to teach our guys to play some damn defense. Manning listening to said assistant is an entirely different issue.

Hire a proven assistant to help with defense and game coaching? How about just hire a proven head coach. This is ridiculous.

Hire a proven assistant to help with defense and game coaching? How about just hire a proven head coach. This is ridiculous.

Back in the day when GT called timeout, the players would huddle around an assistant for the X and O's of the next play - not Bobby Cremins. In football, there are DC and OC and some head coaches leave one side of the ball exclusively to them. It would not be a big leap to do the same in basketball.

Good, bad, or mediocre, Manning is our coach as long as Wellman is here. Not all coaches are strong in all areas. Why not acknowledge and account for a weakness?

Back in the day when GT called timeout, the players would huddle around an assistant for the X and O's of the next play - not Bobby Cremins. In football, there are DC and OC and some head coaches leave one side of the ball exclusively to them. It would not be a big leap to do the same in basketball.

Good, bad, or mediocre, Manning is our coach as long as Wellman is here. Not all coaches are strong in all areas. Why not acknowledge and account for a weakness?
Al McGuire had an assistant (Hank?) who handled most of the X and O stuff. Lutz was the defensive coach for State. I’m sure our assistants have similar duties. But the shoot from the hip game coaching, such as we saw with Jimmy V, is something that can’t be delegated. Manning fails miserably in this respect.

Manning is dumb as a brick once the clock starts. Just not a gamer.

That's why last year were Top 10 in efficiency and are in the Top 40 this year.

Do EVER get anything right?

Our offense is nothing but pick and roll and dribbling. It’s shit. Watch VT run plays for shooters, pass the ball, cut, etc.

Back