• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Why would we get a better candidate in 10 months? Even your post assumed Manning becomes a better coach.

Are you serious with this question? Of course I am not assuming Manning becomes a better coach. I'm GUESSING that Hoard is really good, our chemistry is better and having an NBA starter on our team helps us scrap to a decent record. I think Sarr is a future NBA roster owner, possibly a rotation guy and Brown could be a 12th man to TJ Warren type of NBA player as well.

The job right now is not an elite job. Mostly because of Wellman. If you fire a guy a year after a pretty good year and losing an NBA starter a year earlier than anticipated, then A LOT of young coaches are going to take a pass on this job. They are going to think a) you develop a kid too quickly and have a down year and the fucking AD is going to kill your trajectory to elite coach level. b) they kept NCAA legend Danning Manning on a short leash. Fuck this job. This job is dirt until there is a different AD making the hire.

That's where we are. The only potentially positive hire right now is Chill because Manning makes some mistake and steps aside. Everything I hear about Manning, that ain't happening. He's a good guy and he's not going to create a recruiting embarrassment or personal embarrassment to derail his career.

You are smarter than this PH.

“Are you serious with this question? Of course I am not assuming Manning becomes a better coach. I'm GUESSING that Hoard is really good, our chemistry is better and having an NBA starter on our team helps us scrap to a decent record. I think Sarr is a future NBA roster owner, possibly a rotation guy and Brown could be a 12th man to TJ Warren type of NBA player as well.”

Those things only happen if Manning improves as a coach.

Or they are just smarter than you and understand a better strategy to fixing the basketball program. You can blow it up and start over - like you want - one year after a good year, and see who you get as coach, probably not your 1st or 2nd choice. More like your 5th choice. Or, you could be smarter about it and realize that you are going to get a better candidate in a different circumstance. Of course there are risks to that as well, namely, we have a pretty good year next year, or just good enough to be in a similar spot - firing a coach at the wrong time usually results in a bad hire.

Yea they argued they were smarter than me when I was 25. I went along with. Now I’m 40 and have kicked the living shit out of them. So no.

“Are you serious with this question? Of course I am not assuming Manning becomes a better coach. I'm GUESSING that Hoard is really good, our chemistry is better and having an NBA starter on our team helps us scrap to a decent record. I think Sarr is a future NBA roster owner, possibly a rotation guy and Brown could be a 12th man to TJ Warren type of NBA player as well.”

Those things only happen if Manning improves as a coach.

Incorrect.

Yea they argued they were smarter than me when I was 25. I went along with. Now I’m 40 and have kicked the living shit out of them. So no.

Detail kicking the living shit out of. I think what you mean by that is, in my own mind, I'm a badass. That's great you think that.

Detail kicking the living shit out of. I think what you mean by that is, in my own mind, I'm a badass. That's great you think that.

You know full well what I mean. 20 years ago the argument that “Ron Wellman is just smarter than you all” grew legs. No more. Stop with that silliness. Man is a Bowling Green U grad. He’s a failure as an AD. Has no success in business. He isn’t smarter than us.

He’s a failed baseball coach who has ruined our proud basketball program all the while walking around as a stale corporate exec thinking he built something.

I think Pittsburgh shows you can hire a coach no matter how shitty the situation.

No idea how the Capel hire will play out, but after the Stallings debacle, 0-18, a comical initial coaching search, and a ton of attrition, they were still able to make a decent hire. Not the guy I’d want, but probably not a complete disaster.

Plus, Wes didn’t make a move anywhere this cycle... Will still be there next year. If he’s your flavor, of course.

Honestly, nobody really changed jobs this offseason that I was pining for as Wake’s coach.

ETA: There was no way we were ever getting Mack.

I think Pittsburgh shows you can hire a coach no matter how shitty the situation.

No idea how the Capel hire will play out, but after the Stallings debacle, 0-18, a comical initial coaching search, and a ton of attrition, they were still able to make a decent hire. Not the guy I’d want, but probably not a complete disaster.

Plus, Wes didn’t make a move anywhere this cycle... Will still be there next year. If he’s your flavor, of course.

Honestly, nobody really changed jobs this offseason that I was pining for as Wake’s coach.

ETA: There was no way we were ever getting Mack.

Agree with all of that. We now will be in the exact same spot in April 2019. Lighting a year on fire and falling further into irrelevance to 16 year old recruits. Bear in mind we haven’t played a relevant game since they started 1st grade. Burning another year is no small thing but that is what we have chosen. Next year’s squad has no chance. Poor patsies out there as fuel for some contorted argument from the 70s that you should give a coach 5 years. They will fail and quickly. And it’s our fault.

Pitt will be kicking our ass in 2020. Because they addressed it.

I hope this is not what we as Wake Forest alumni have come to expect on sports forums.

I’m fine with his “attack.” He’s right, I do get a lot of ladies. So what? That’s bad? It’s past time for Wake to get real in life. My accomplishments arent women but if someone wants to attack me for that and say I’m wrong about our b-ball situation because hot women choose me...well ok.

I’m fine with his “attack.” He’s right, I do get a lot of ladies. So what? That’s bad? It’s past time for Wake to get real in life. My accomplishments arent women but if someone wants to attack me for that and say I’m wrong about our b-ball situation because hot women choose me...well ok.

I feel like you are playing checkers and trying to pawn it off as chess

You don’t have to play chess to win in college basketball.

I agree it’s possible to win with what we have. It’s just a lot harder. I want to get it right and spend 100 million to give us the best possible chance to build a sustainable winner. Too bad Wake alums overwhelmingly disagree.

Trust in wellman. [Redacted] deserved 4 years because no coach will come to wake if we don't give him enough time. Manning deserves 5 years because no coach will come to wake if we don't give him enough time. <***> deserves 6 because... trust in ronnie...

Everything I just wrote is bs. Decade of irrelevance is upon us. Keep giving ronnie that pass while he walks around telling you that you just don't understand.

Exactly. Further to my point PH, if you happen upon one of the top 25 players of all-time—as has occurred amazingly twice for Wake Forest over the last quarter century—you will certainly win games.

Though clearly something was wrong institutionally (I contend stadium but clearly something). How could one not agree with the premise that something is wrong? On our roster over the last 22 seasons, we have had 8 first round draft picks, some quality coaches, & startlingly 2 of the greatest 25 basketball players of all-time. Half of the top 25 players ever never even played in college. And we have had 2 of the remaining half in just the last 25 years alone? Crazy.

In any event, from that luck, we have managed 1 Sweet 16 & 0 ACC title game appearances over 22 seasons!!

To think a hot coach could change this and make us achieve is not right. Could he improve us with some luck like landing the next Tim Duncan? Of course. But we have major institutional which have stunned our success even when we do get such luck.

We must overhaul the basketball program to get ready for 2025 and beyond. Stadium must be leveled at once.

Your response is checkers, half baked checkers. I was rwferring to finding an elite basketball coach to lead the program for the next 15+ years.

You keep bringing it back to a referendum on manning. We should be strategizing on how to hire the next jay wright. Not burn it down and then go from there. That's what companies do. The board needs to first move well man aside before doing anything w manning.

Manning may end up being an okay hire lookingy back I5 years. His squeaky cleanness is an asset

Trust in wellman. [Redacted] deserved 4 years because no coach will come to wake if we don't give him enough time. Manning deserves 5 years because no coach will come to wake if we don't give him enough time. <***> deserves 6 because... trust in ronnie...

Everything I just wrote is bs. Decade of irrelevance is upon us. Keep giving ronnie that pass while he walks around telling you that you just don't understand.

I dont know if you're speaking to me, but i agree w this. Not firing manning has nothing to do w arbitrary years and everything to do w trying ro get it right.

Your post on having 2 of the top 25 goats is dead on.

Not specifically talking to you. i do agree that ronnie is the real problem. Manning is a symptom of the problem. [Redacted] was as well.

I do disagree that not firing manning is an attempt to get it right. It's ronnie's attempt to prove himself right. Thats what every additional year and excuse since [Redacted]'s obviously disastrous first season has been about.Too many people look the other way in his little fiefdom.

Not specifically talking to you. i do agree that ronnie is the real problem. Manning is a symptom of the problem. [name redacted] was as well.

I do disagree that not firing manning is an attempt to get it right. It's ronnie's attempt to prove himself right. Thats what every additional year and excuse since [name redacted]'s obviously disastrous first season has been about.Too many people look the other way in his little fiefdom.

I disagree. I think the problem with discourse over the last dozen or so years (since the explosion of reddit, facebook, etc.) is that all things are black and white. I think DECISIONS have started to mirror these disastrous discussions. We're essentially talking at each other. While I totally agree that Wellman is the issue, it is a non-starter to essentially begin that disscussion under the theory that he has been an awful AD for 25 years. He simply hasn't. He's a classic conserative CEO. He's been pretty good at building towards something (better facilities all around for many sports), but terrible at reacting to issues/change. The issues being either a hire has not worked out (e.g., Bzd) or is peetering out (e.g., Grobe).

That is not a horrific characteristic and not unfamiliar at that level. However, good CEOs bring in people who are more reactive and are able to be that canary in a coalmine. We don't seem to have those people. But, the truth is that the same guy we are vilifying did hire Skip Prosser and did hire a hungry Jim Grobe and did hire Dave Clawson - and that is not even speaking to tennis or soccer or baseball all of which seem to be on exceptional footing but none of which I have followed close enough to speak to.

As far as I can tell from Wellman's hires, he prefers a certain type of coach. My perception is that they are somewhat conservative and give off an air of competence and craft. To outlier, for me, is Skip Prosser who was more the classic program leader willing to wear his heart on his sleeve as well as his mistakes and fears. I doubt that Wellman ever felt comfortable with Prosser, but I have no inside info on that.

Based on his tendencies, his misses are John Beilein and Tony Bennett. Not Shaka Smart as Smart is not the type of guy Wellman has seemed to want to break bread with.

Anywho, Wellman has made great hires and really bad hire. I personally do not think that Manning is either of those. And as I have said, it is not about giving Manning a certain number of years. While I suppose one can learn on the job, Manning challenge was always going to be overcoming his own personality, which is dry to say the least. Manning subdued confidence also does not work to his advantage, especially when it comes to accepting (speaking as Manning), that he has a long way to go as a program leader and an in-game coach. What Manning does seem to do is work hard on the recruiting trail and do things the right way, both admirable. What he does not seem to have is a program creation strategy. And it is too late for one now. Clawson presented his case to Wellman and "the board" and essentially said we are going to suck for two or three years and you will give me that leash. They accepted.

Manning would have been better served to create some strategy and go with it. I don't know exactly what that strategy is/was. Maybe it was to go out and recruit 3star borderline 4star kids exclusively for 4 years and build a program with success achieved by experience. Maybe it works better in football which is why Clawson has been so successful - essentially that experienced 3rd and 4th year players with 3star talent trump inexperienced 4star and 5star talent. Maybe that doesn't work in hoops. But whatever the road or a road to success - Manning hasn't done it. He's gone after 5 star talent, 4star talent and 3star talent underappreciated. He's had success will all three of those paths and failures as well. But we just don't have a strategy so far as I can tell. Fill holes in the dyke with grad transfers and transfers. Recruit size and length even at the 3star level and hope that a diamond in the rough materializes. It seems like a mess and Manning doesn't have the skillset to sell lipstick on a pig. Prosser did, Manning doesn't. To make matters worse, Manning is coaching in the shadow of Williams and K on tobacco road in the ACC (something that Pitt does not have to deal with which I think makes that job more alluring right now).

As best as I can tell, finding a Tony Bennett or a Beilein or a Smart or a Jay Wright involves navigating the following:

* recruiting realities, cheaters, and that changing landscape, while it is essential to follow the rules and not commit recruiting violations, coaches need to be ready to take advantage of coming changes - here is where I think Manning is poised to benefit.
* our AD situation. Wellman is on borrowed time and it would behoove the whole enterprise to either put him out to pasture and hire someone under him to essentially take over everything except facilities and money raising.
* The continued existence of Coach K and Williams as mouth breathers and basketball coaches. Ideally one or both is retired and the coaching replacement process went haywire - seems more likely at Duke, ironically as I think the Duke job is a slippery slope potentially.

I am not arguing that we should wait until Coach K retires. I am simply arguing the job becomes more enticing as you can sell a "poised to become the next Duke" to someone. The reason I bring this up is that sadly, the type of coach that want to go right at Coach K and Williams is either a Skip Prosser or a Gary Williams or a Rick Barnes - is NOT the type of coach that Wellman is generally comfortable with. Maybe Beilien back in the day. The only one of those coaches listed even remotely available is Rick Barnes. Also, a 30ish, 350sh year old super cocky and super good coach would be interested in that challenge as well. Another coaching type that Wellman has not proven to be comfortable with. So, for me to make a coaching hire at this stage, one of the above variables needs to change: NCAA landscape (which actually potentially boosts Manning), Wellman, Coach K, Coach Williams. One of those variables needs to change IMO because otherwise you are almost assuredly going to go sideways with a hire (best case) and kick the can down the road 4 more years. The timing quite possibly couldn't be worse IMO as a lot could happen in those 4 years you'd like to be able to make a swift and dynamic move. First step has to be the Wellman issue. Nothing until then makes sense to me. Wellman needs to be made to see this, even if he's not forced out, he has to understand the need to for a guy to make his or her hire and the types of personalities that are most likely to succeed are the ones he hasn't traditionally embraced.

Last edited:
Back