• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

I remember us looking down on UVa after the Bennett hire but he is a hell of a coach. If he had this team, I think we would be looking at an NIT berth possibly NCAA play in game instead of trying to be .500

Absolutely nobody (with any sense) looked down on UVA after the Bennett hire. It was an excellent hire just like Turgeon was at Maryland. There is zero reason Wake, at that time, shouldn't have been able to attract a coach with a similar pedigree. Now we've got no chance.

We still had Dino the first year Bennett arrived at UVa. I remember people looking down because he was a great coach but really had no ties for recruiting or anything else in this area. Instead he developed the talent he had and they improved every year. You cannot tell me that Mike Scott was the best player in the ACC when he arrived there.

People knew Bennett was a good x and o coach, but I think is ability to recruit was questioned. Oh wouldn't we love to have him.

People knew Bennett was a good x and o coach, but I think is ability to recruit was questioned. Oh wouldn't we love to have him.

Bennett had just transformed Washington State from a hapless PAC-10 bottom feeder into a competitive program, recruited the best class in school history (as an associate HC under his father), and brought the Cougars to back-to-back NCAA appearances (including a trip to the Sweet Sixteen). UVA fans have unrealistic expectations, but the Bennett hire was rock solid at the time. Frankly, t's inappropriate to talk about it in the same thread as the [Redacted] or Manning hires. Neither dude had half as much success as Bennett did in his first stop as a head coach.

I was at UVA when the Bennett hire was made and nobody was very happy with the hire. I heard a lot of "Who?"

Bennett had just transformed Washington State from a hapless PAC-10 bottom feeder into a competitive program, recruited the best class in school history (as an associate HC under his father), and brought the Cougars to back-to-back NCAA appearances (including a trip to the Sweet Sixteen). UVA fans have unrealistic expectations, but the Bennett hire was rock solid at the time. Frankly, t's inappropriate to talk about it in the same thread as the [Redacted] or Manning hires. Neither dude had half as much success as Bennett did in his first stop as a head coach.

Ha, if he was a Wake hire we'd say he inherited an NCAA team and two years later turned them into an NIT first round loser. One sophomore, the rest all juniors and seniors for both his NCAA squads - not a single player of his.

I'd actually be pretty curious to see the board's reaction to 4 years of Manning with zero NCAA Tournament wins and zero ACC tournament wins - but back-to-back 20+ win seasons.

Regardless what a strange idea to rewrite the history of the UVA fanbase in their favor on the Wake Forest sports board. What's next, a thread about how the Cameron Crazies are underrates as a fanbase? A defense of UNC's paper class system?

Is this discussion for real? Tony Bennett was coming off Kenpom 20,11,45 at freaking Washington State. Before he got there Washington State was bad to horrible the previous 5 years (and since he left they have been horrible for the last 7 years). Clearly a home run hire at the time.

Some of you folks who are into statistics. Would be interesting to see the overall won loss record in FB & BB since Wellman became AD.

Ha, if he was a Wake hire we'd say he inherited an NCAA team and two years later turned them into an NIT first round loser. One sophomore, the rest all juniors and seniors for both his NCAA squads - not a single player of his.

I'd actually be pretty curious to see the board's reaction to 4 years of Manning with zero NCAA Tournament wins and zero ACC tournament wins - but back-to-back 20+ win seasons.

Regardless what a strange idea to rewrite the history of the UVA fanbase in their favor on the Wake Forest sports board. What's next, a thread about how the Cameron Crazies are underrates as a fanbase? A defense of UNC's paper class system?

I don't think it is fair to take swipes at Dino given the situation that he was put in from the wake of Skip's death. Also, the comparison I was trying to get with Bennett was that he was a major unknown because he had success with players that he didn't recruit and had no ties to the area for recruiting. The homerun hire makes no sense because he had just come off a 17-16 season and no one was excited about a "boring" basketball hire. If anything, I find Manning more comparable to... Sidney Lowe... without the first year success.

Tony Bennett should have been Wellman's dream #culture candidate. Systematic, methodical basketball that is repeatable and competitive. Instead he went with the Colorado Clown.

Bennett wasn't at WSU when we hired redacted, he was at UVa. I still don't trust that Wellman would've hired him if he had the chance

Bennett wasn't at WSU when we hired redacted, he was at UVa. I still don't trust that Wellman would've hired him if he had the chance

I think getting spurred by Archie Miller tells a lot more about the state of the program than if Wellman would have hired Tony Bennett given the chance. Archie chose to stay at Dayton over Wake Forest.... Dayton!

I don't think it is fair to take swipes at Dino given the situation that he was put in from the wake of Skip's death. Also, the comparison I was trying to get with Bennett was that he was a major unknown because he had success with players that he didn't recruit and had no ties to the area for recruiting. The homerun hire makes no sense because he had just come off a 17-16 season and no one was excited about a "boring" basketball hire. If anything, I find Manning more comparable to... Sidney Lowe... without the first year success.

Are you highlighting that because you think it refers to Dino? It doesn't.

Wake Forest men's basketball is so bad that Jeff [Redacted] decided to quit rather than continue to be associated with Wake Forest's basketball program any longer.

Cue liveanddie or someone of a similar ilk not getting the sarcasm

Back