• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL Elizabeth Warren is awesome thread

Somewhat related question. When was the height of the free market in the US? Because historically, I'm fairly sure that the time where we had the greatest expansion of the middle class in the world coincided with heavy government regulation. But maybe I am wrong.

Correction: coincided with the postwar boom when the rest of the developed world had just been bombed and land-warred into a complete infrastructure reboot.

Imagine what could have been without all those regulations!

In the spirit of Sig's causal analysis, the grand middle class expansion has occurred during the World Series drought of the Chicago Cubs. Go Cards!

Whether the heavy government regulation was the cause of the boom was beside the point. It didn't hurt the economic expansion post WWII.

I'll ask again- what are examples of times where the free market really worked sans government regulation?

Warren may be the only candidate capable of turning the US economy into an afterthought in one term.

Her "you didn't build that" is economically illiterate as she does not realize that the infrastructure follows business and not the other way around. You could build an incredible infrastructure in Paraguay and it would be wasted money. If you have a free market, it will start working with dirt roads and as the tax base improves the roads get paved and the schools built and the government offices built. Her ludicrous philosophy assumes that business owes their existence to government benevolence instead of the other way around.

Well, you aren't smart. Thanks for your opinion. And I would be more scathing in my remarks if only I respected your opinions even a little, but what you wrote here tells me all that I need to know about your understanding of economics. Basically, stick to playing with sticks in your basement and leave the intelligent conversations to people that think beyond an 8th grade level.

Proof that you're just an idiot, you tried to use Obama's "build that" 'gaffe' as an attack on a person that has fought Obama. How stupid is that? Very stupid.

Somewhat related question. When was the height of the free market in the US? Because historically, I'm fairly sure that the time where we had the greatest expansion of the middle class in the world coincided with heavy government regulation. But maybe I am wrong.

Not a direct answer at all, but let us look at the US economy when Democrats are in the White House vs. when Republicans are in the WH.

screen-shot-2014-07-30-at-2-28-06-pm.png

10302552_10155115850205440_7642127853388976769_n.jpg

In the spirit of Sig's causal analysis, the grand middle class expansion has occurred during the World Series drought of the Chicago Cubs. Go Cards!

And the destruction of the middle class nearly perfectly coincides with the tearing down of Glass-Steagall. This is an historical fact.

Last edited:

related chart

income-inequality-usa-14.jpg

Whether the heavy government regulation was the cause of the boom was beside the point. It didn't hurt the economic expansion post WWII.

I'll ask again- what are examples of times where the free market really worked sans government regulation?

Neither did 50 years of excellence in Tar Heel basketball. Just as long as we're getting all equally plausible causal factors on the table at once.

Well, you aren't smart. Thanks for your opinion. And I would be more scathing in my remarks if only I respected your opinions even a little, but what you wrote here tells me all that I need to know about your understanding of economics. Basically, stick to playing with sticks in your basement and leave the intelligent conversations to people that think beyond an 8th grade level.

Proof that you're just an idiot, you tried to use Obama's "build that" 'gaffe' as an attack on a person that has fought Obama. How stupid is that? Very stupid.

Not a direct answer at all, but let us look at the US economy when Democrats are in the White House vs. when Republicans are in the WH.

screen-shot-2014-07-30-at-2-28-06-pm.png

10302552_10155115850205440_7642127853388976769_n.jpg

And the destruction of the middle class nearly perfectly coincides with the tearing down of Glass-Steagall. This is an historical fact.

At least I am intelligent enough to know where Obama got that little diddy. Please continue your little juvenile insults.

Neither did 50 years of excellence in Tar Heel basketball. Just as long as we're getting all equally plausible causal factors on the table at once.

Where is AnswertheQuestionDeac when you need him?

Dodgy McDodgerson, any actual response you would like to provide?

Where is AnswertheQuestionDeac when you need him?

Dodgy McDodgerson, any actual response you would like to provide?

I assumed you could infer my feelings on the tenuous nexus between restrictions on the growth of businesses in the form of economic regulations and economic expansion.

I assumed you could infer my feelings on the tenuous nexus between restrictions on the growth of businesses in the form of economic regulations and economic expansion.

Sure. Of course, that wasn't the question asked, so your feelings about that topic are relatively pointless.

I'll ask again- when was the height of the free market in the US?

Sure. Of course, that wasn't the question asked, so your feelings about that topic are relatively pointless.

I'll ask again- when was the height of the free market in the US?

Plenty of countries have the blank slate you're looking for. To quote our good friend TJCMD: go to Somalia.

Not sure how describing the height of your preferred economic approach is a "stilted premise."

Back