• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Perfect Albums

At the risk of re-igniting old Clapton debates, I'm a big fan of Disraeli Gears.

Under the Table was great, but I thought certain songs were overproduced and never fully captured the song at its best. Ants Marching and Satellite from Under the Table in particular just sounded so stale to me as compared to the live versions on Remember Two Things.

Ants Marching definitely. Also, "What would you say" was clearly written just to be a radio hit. It is a pretty big departure from the rest of the album's songs. I saw DMB at the Jones Beach Amphitheater in July of 94, right before (or as) they hit the big time then saw them 4 years later in Roanoke VA, the crowds and vibe were so different.

Ants Marching definitely. Also, "What would you say" was clearly written just to be a radio hit. It is a pretty big departure from the rest of the album's songs. I saw DMB at the Jones Beach Amphitheater in July of 94, right before (or as) they hit the big time then saw them 4 years later in Roanoke VA, the crowds and vibe were so different.

i have very belatedly gotten into DMB. Saw them for the first time live last year and have 3 booked for this year. Incredible live performance has made me appreciate them much more. BOWA opening on UTTAD is phenomenal. I actually think Before These Crowded Streets is the better album and damn near perfect.

Gotta have rust in piece in that conversation as well. Also I’ve been on a maiden kick lately and a couple more of their 80s albums could make it in there like Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son

rust in peace slips in and out of the 4/5 spots for sure

The first show of theirs I went to was at Ziggy's in November 1992 (pretty sure it was November). I was never a huge DMB fanboi, but it was one of the best live musical performances I've seen in my life.

Some of these are repeats but the first few that come to mind for me are

Van Morrison Astral Weeks
Bon Iver Bon Iver
Flaming Lips Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Waylon Jennings Honky Tonk Heroes
Zeppelin 2
Radiohead OK Computer (other than Fitter Happier but close enough)
Ray LaMontagne Trouble

I’d take Billy Joe Shaver over Waylon.

Old Five and Dimers is pretty close to perfect. I might take Dreaming My Dreams over Honky Tonk, but it's close.

Just skimmed, but did anyone add Nevermind or Ten? May be unpopular, but Under the Table and Dreaming. I would also add Blood Sugar Sex Magik and MMJ - Z.

I added Ten this morning. I was a little nervous i might catch flack

Gotta have rust in piece in that conversation as well. Also I’ve been on a maiden kick lately and a couple more of their 80s albums could make it in there like Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son

Rust in Peace peaks with the first song. Holy Wars is one of the most badass metal songs every written, so much so that the rest of the album just falls short. I could listen to that song a zillion times, but as an album, I'd rather listen to So Far So Good So What.

Maiden's 80s output is amazing. Somewhere in Time would probably benefit from a remix, but great stuff on there. It and Seventh Son has the guitar synths on them, so they were a bit controversial back in the day to the metal purists. I still think Piece Of Mind is the best Side One that they ever did. Where Eagles Dare and Revelations just can't be topped. I was very, very happy that they had Where Eagles Dare in the setlist rotation on their last tour.

About a year ago when the last album came out, I revisited all their post-reunion output and was surprised that one of the albums I largely ignored I liked the best, and it kind of wasn't close. Brave New World was solid, a nostalgia kick due to having Bruce back, but I think that nostalgia made it better to me than it really was. Surprisingly, A Matter Of Life & Death was the best upon revisiting. Really good songs and Bruce wasn't singing the chorus too many times in every song like he does nowadays. They're still writing good songs, but becoming overwrought and predictable at this point. Oh look, it's another 2 minute quiet bass intro by Steve Harris before the music really kicks in, and now here is Bruce singing a melody that Janick parrots on the guitar because they can't find anything else for him to do, etc... Pretty much every song was like that on Senjutsu.

GUEST_76605f57-ecf9-407f-8b1e-346902c0232b

Also, shame on me for not putting the Psychedelic Furs' "Talk Talk Talk" on my original list.

Would put a few well known live albums on the list: - Cash At Folsom Prison, Nirvana Unplugged in New York, BB King Live at the Regal, Thin Lizzy Live & Dangerous, Bob Marley Live

I love live albums. The combination of the crowd noise and the artists energy and the novelty of hearing well known songs played differently.

I’d like to re-add In the Aeroplane over the sea. It’s amazing.

I’ll also add David Bowie’s Hunky Dory.

Rust in Peace peaks with the first song. Holy Wars is one of the most badass metal songs every written, so much so that the rest of the album just falls short. I could listen to that song a zillion times, but as an album, I'd rather listen to So Far So Good So What.

Maiden's 80s output is amazing. Somewhere in Time would probably benefit from a remix, but great stuff on there. It and Seventh Son has the guitar synths on them, so they were a bit controversial back in the day to the metal purists. I still think Piece Of Mind is the best Side One that they ever did. Where Eagles Dare and Revelations just can't be topped. I was very, very happy that they had Where Eagles Dare in the setlist rotation on their last tour.

About a year ago when the last album came out, I revisited all their post-reunion output and was surprised that one of the albums I largely ignored I liked the best, and it kind of wasn't close. Brave New World was solid, a nostalgia kick due to having Bruce back, but I think that nostalgia made it better to me than it really was. Surprisingly, A Matter Of Life & Death was the best upon revisiting. Really good songs and Bruce wasn't singing the chorus too many times in every song like he does nowadays. They're still writing good songs, but becoming overwrought and predictable at this point. Oh look, it's another 2 minute quiet bass intro by Steve Harris before the music really kicks in, and now here is Bruce singing a melody that Janick parrots on the guitar because they can't find anything else for him to do, etc... Pretty much every song was like that on Senjutsu.

Yeah I love the first half of piece of mind too. It just loses me after the trooper. I love the tone on SIT and seventh son I try to listen end to end because it’s pretty cohesive.

Post reunion I agree too with a lot of what you wrote - especially that third guitar part that doubles the vocals. I can’t stand that. The Harris epics have that predictable formula - it’s not a big deal when the song is great but it makes the weaker ones sound really bloated. I think matter of life and death is probably my favorite album overall from that era but all of them have some outstanding individual moments. Paschendale probably my consistent favorite song from that era but that shifts from time to time. Pretty great to have nearly 20 studio albums, each with something unique to listen to.

Back