• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Karl Hess

So this story has passed. Karl Hess will continue to do many of the big games (like tonight for instance) for the next decade +--including ours. Some will think he's a racist because we didn't correct the out of context tweet. Karl's buddies (also those who regularly ref our games) will remember that Wake Forest left him out to dry as its former trustee and one of our main fans made a 1am tweet which was construed as a racial allegation (even though he didn't mean it as such) and then neither he nor the University corrected it while it festered in the public eye.

I get the mistake Mit made here. Social media is a dangerous thing & what is "guy talk" just doesn't look the same when printed out of context on ESPN the next day. Much like the Buzz hire, however, what I'm not ok with is not fixing it. It simply isn't fixed in meetings or phone calls amongst those who have made a nice living off an athletic system that they didn't create. And now it's probably too late too fix it.

Very disappointed in what happened here. We really put a black eye on one of college basketball stalwarts. It didn't have to happen. And it could have been minimized with a little humble pie that we were too proud to deliver.

100% agree with this.

Fine profession that allows biased to change how the game is called. Refs should really be proud of that.

Doesn't look like he'll continue to work Wake games after all, or that Wake will suffer. Oops.

Doesn't look like he'll continue to work Wake games after all, or that Wake will suffer. Oops.

never underestimate ACC refs.....
kh.jpg

So sad if true. The last of the old guard is gone.

I hope the ACC can find a way to attract fans again. Sitting in half empty stadiums just isn't as much fun.

I'm not saying people attend games because of Refs. What I'm saying is that in 2005 there was massive interest in ACC basketball. Somehow in the last decade our leaders have driven it squarely in the ditch.

I'm not saying people attend games because of Refs. What I'm saying is that in 2005 there was massive interest in ACC basketball. Somehow in the last decade our leaders have driven it squarely in the ditch.

It's probably because you've been too busy working to offer your insights.

No, that's just old peoe who can't handle change. The ACC is better than it was a day ago.

So sad if true. The last of the old guard is gone.

I hope the ACC can find a way to attract fans again. Sitting in half empty stadiums just isn't as much fun.

I thought we were going to build a smaller arena at Wake so it will only be 25% empty.

Almost all of that can be attributed to geographic expansion, but the old model was not viable in the modern sports landscape. The football schools would have bolted if the ACC didn't adjust itself. Yes it dilutes the rivalries and intensity, but if the alternative is non-existence, I'll take it. The ACC is still the premier basketball league. The tournament will never be the same, but it is a necessary casualty unfortunately.

Back